Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Patser wrote: »
    I'm still worried about the Polo players, and even more worried at the idea of horses on electric scooters

I'd be happier meeting a horse on a scooter than I would some of the cyclists I've come across in the park down the years.*

*: that was a joke, just in case any of those cyclists without a sense of humour are lurking.

So, side gates open & traffic jams return!
    Blackhorse ave / castleknock rd / navan road backed up......
    Didn't happen when the gate was closed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

ronivek wrote: »
    I'd be happier meeting a horse on a scooter than I would some of the cyclists I've come across in the park down the years.*

*: that was a joke, just in case any of those cyclists without a sense of humour are lurking.
    That would be all of them then!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

bubblypop wrote: »

It did yeah.

I came through it an hour ago, thats the usual after-work congestion going into Lidl in the village.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It did yeah.

I came through it an hour ago, thats the usual after-work congestion going into Lidl in the village.

no, there were no traffic jams on Blackhorse ave at the Ashtown gate when the gate was closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Doh, thats because we were in lock down and now more and more people are going back to work...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Patser wrote: »
    I'm still worried about the Polo players, and even more worried at the idea of horses on electric scooters

Need to get off your high horse so....

Doh, thats because we were in lock down and now more and more people are going back to work...............

Doh, the lockdown eased weeks ago, this week the gates opened.
    That's the difference in traffic.

Tbh, I don't mind whether the gates are opened or closed, it makes life easier for me if they are open, but I don't mind going around to the open one, if I have to.

Inside the park however, I do believe no parking on the Avenue is a vast improvement. It's safer all round, & there is plenty of parking. I was walking this morning between 9am & 10.30am, car parks were not even half full. So, commuters are either parking elsewhere or driving all the way in.
    It is an improvement & better for people actually visiting the park. They can go anytime of the day & find parking. Months ago, commuters took up too many places & visitors couldn't find parking.
    It's much better now.

Love the way people take situations out of context ignoring the bigger picture. Then make a sweeping generalisation using this narrow minded blinkered view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm trying to figure out where this photo was taken - is it North Road just west of Ashtown gate?
    https://twitter.com/biggerrydrumm/status/1283475907089436678

• Advertisement

That photo was taken at a car parking area, just East of the papal cross.
    I don't see any problem with people parking there, they are clearly visiting the park!

That photo was taken at a car parking area, just East of the papal cross.
    I don't see any problem with people parking there, they are clearly visiting the park!
    Ah, on the right side of the triangle.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out where this photo was taken - is it North Road just west of Ashtown gate?
    https://twitter.com/biggerrydrumm/status/1283475907089436678

Probably commuters getting a place early for the next morning.

beauf wrote: »

Nope. It's not

Nope. It's not

...oh yes it probably is...

They've probably stashed bicycles in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

...oh yes it probably is...

They've probably stashed bicycles in the boot.

Or solar powered scooters

You should make it clearer when you are joking.
    Your earlier hyperbola about reading while cycling or driving was also unclear.

You should make it clearer when you are joking.
    Your earlier hyperbola about reading while cycling or driving was also unclear.

That kinda implies people think reading while cycling or driving is vaguely feasible. Reading while walking is bad enough. Never mind the rest.

All sorts of crazy unstanciated claims in this thread.

That people cant tell the difference and let them pass with no challenge suggests they are entirely unfamiliar with the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Id like to know what exactly is the problem people have with opening the gates and allowing traffic back to the way its always been in the park.
    Is it that they just dont like the look of it or the sound of it?
    What exactly is getting up peoples noses that they want to make it next to impossible for people who live far away to enjoy the phoenix park in the same way they have always done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

want to make it next to impossible
    because it wasnt next to impossible. You could drive in either of two gates or park up outside and walk in ( and within < 10 mins be at the Aras roundabout in the center of the park, and not walking at olympic speeds either).

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Id like to know what exactly is the problem people have with opening the gates and allowing traffic back to the way its always been in the park.
    What exactly is getting up peoples noses that they want to make it next to impossible for people who live far away to enjoy the phoenix park in the same way they have always done?

Anecdotally the most vocal I’ve seen on Twitter fall into two categories:
    1) Green Party members and supporters whose default position is that cars are bad and that any and all proactive measures to supposedly reduce their usage are to be commended.
    2) Cyclists who enjoyed being able to use roads designed and built for cars without having to deal with the aforementioned cars; or to belt down the Avenue at full tilt without the risk of meeting a pedestrian.

Which I suppose is all to be expected really.

Personally I believe we should all be able to share such a large space and not have it cater to any one particular group at the expense of any other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

JimmyVik wrote: »

I dont think anyone has suggested they dont want people to enjoy the park.

Personally I would have the following
    1. Keep some of the gates closed now for good or warn people in 2021 XYZ gate will close
    2. Close down sections of the park every weekend, they only do now for specific weekends

3. Look at a ParkNRide system in the surrounding area that would make it easier to gain access
    4. Implement the parknride while leaving the gates open. So on a busy weekend instead of trying to throw a car somewhere in the park you could use the carpark and get a bus in
    5. Long terms close the park down to general public(this would include the ability of giving access to specific people for sports etc if required)

That could potentially take 10 years or more to implement but it should be started now, not build the whole area up and then say they have no space for PankNride

2) Cyclists who enjoyed being able to use roads designed and built for cars without having to deal with the aforementioned cars; or to belt down the Avenue at full tilt without the risk of meeting a pedestrian.

Personally I believe we should all be able to share such a large space and not have it cater to any one particular group at the expense of any other.
    I think you've highlighted a big issue that prevents some people from changing from using a car to using a bike - the roads are only designed for one particular group (cars) at the expense of another (bicycles).

That kinda implies people think reading while cycling or driving is vaguely feasible. Reading while walking is bad enough. Never mind the rest.
    I've seen cyclists texting (reading the screen) and motorists reading (phones and documents) so hence my confusion. I'm sure you've seen pedestrians reading their phones too. All feasible with very different levels of risk.

I'll turn up the sensitivity of my satire radar in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anecdotally the most vocal I’ve seen on Twitter fall into two categories:
    1) Green Party members and supporters whose default position is that cars are bad and that any and all proactive measures to supposedly reduce their usage are to be commended.

Which I suppose is all to be expected really.

Prescient of the 18th century designers of the park to know that cars would be coming down the line a couple of centuries later.

Prescient of the 18th century designers of the park to know that cars would be coming down the line a couple of centuries later.

Pretty sure a car is much closer to a cart or carriage than it is to the bicycle; unless you're trying to suggest the roads in the Phoenix Park were designed to be used by small two-wheeled vehicles?

Not that it really matters in either case; since the de facto design and use of the roads in the park is to allow the passage of primarily cars; and has been such for much of the last century.

I think you've highlighted a big issue that prevents some people from changing from using a car to using a bike - the roads are only designed for one particular group (cars) at the expense of another (bicycles).

Absolutely; one of the reasons I never used a bike to commute was safety. I rode motorcycles for quite some time and that was bad enough; the thoughts of being on an unpowered two-wheeled vehicle with next to no protection and sharing roads with cars gave me the willies.

I don't really know what biking trails are available in the park but I would be happy to see more of them and for them to be bike only; whether they be tarmac or gravel or just groomed dirt trails.

I've seen cyclists texting (reading the screen) and motorists reading (phones and documents) so hence my confusion. I'm sure you've seen pedestrians reading their phones too. All feasible with very different levels of risk.....

Different levels..but all incredibly stupid.

• Advertisement

Absolutely; one of the reasons I never used a bike to commute was safety. I rode motorcycles for quite some time and that was bad enough; the thoughts of being on an unpowered two-wheeled vehicle with next to no protection and sharing roads with cars gave me the willies.

I don't really know what biking trails are available in the park but I would be happy to see more of them and for them to be bike only; whether they be tarmac or gravel or just groomed dirt trails.

Maybe you should research the statistics of motorbikes and cycling then...

Advertisement