Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The cycle path ends shortly before the roundabout. People in the cycle lane must yield to cars on the road travelling in the same direction.

I'd have to see it, Cycle lanes ending and merging with traffic isn't unusual.

When car lanes merge from the left they usually yield to traffic on their right.

I thought the latest best practise was a segregated cycle lane not on the roundabout. Painted cycle lanes on the roundabout being considered poor practise and just getting in lane being better then that.

But I know in my local estate almost every roundabout has a entirely different layout for cycle lanes often different on each side of the same roundabout. Completely random.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Surely it's safer for bikes to merge with normal traffic and then go through the roundabout as a car would?

Or just do what a lot of cyclists do and stick the headphones on and drift through without even a cursory glance to the right!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

thelad95 wrote: »

Or just do what a lot of cyclists do and stick the headphones on and drift through without even a cursory glance to the right!

I'd say that's a regular occurrence for drivers to be honest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

beauf wrote: »
    I'd have to see it, Cycle lanes ending and merging with traffic isn't unusual.
    I never said it was usual or unusual. I merely pointed out that cyclists aren't equal to motorists (which the post I responded to alleged) as they drive towards the roundabout as they don't have priority.

~
    I never said it was usual or unusual. I merely pointed out that cyclists aren't equal to motorists (which the post I responded to alleged) as they drive towards the roundabout as they don't have priority.

I've just been through it. I have no idea what you're talking about. The only sign says the cycle lanes ends nothing about priority. It does it before the roundabout.

It's effectively a merge. As a cyclist I merge into lane and have equal priority at the roundabout.

It's better then the old cycle path which basically treated you like a pedestrian, and you merged with pedestrians.

Maybe they should make all vehicles including cyclists come to a stop. Like a four way stop. Thus giving pedestrians a priority.

• Advertisement

Park was quiet as I drove through it. A fraction of the people you'd expect on Sunday afternoon.

Zoo car park had a "full" sign up. But looked mostly empty. I expect they forgot to bring it in, after the zoo closed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So you are saying we'll need to cull more deer this year :p

Sensationalist headline: Increase in deer culling due to road closure

The deer have obviously been getting a bit braver of late. Saw one way up by the entrance to Castleknock College a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

... Driver O'Driver of AA Ireland has a bulletless plan to reduce the number, "all we have to do is build a motorway through the park, that way we can use the bull bars on our SUVs to deal with the dear in a quick and cheap manner"

Basil3 wrote: »
    The deer have obviously been getting a bit braver of late. Saw one way up by the entrance to Castleknock College a few weeks back.

I've heard it's a deer school...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've heard it's a deer school...

Take your thanks and get out :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling through the park on Mon morning at around 06:30 with low lying fog and a solidary deer was jumping through the tall grass down by Farmleigh entrance, we travelled together in parallel for about 500m before going our separate ways. Great start to the day.

On a separate occasion a few weeks ago cycling up Chesterfield Avenue at about 17:30 and got a puncture, had planned to repair it at the side of the road but couldn’t hear the air escape and locate the hole with the constant noise of passing cars. Had to resort to replacing the tube and mending the old one at home in quieter surroundings.

On a separate occasion a few weeks ago cycling up Chesterfield Avenue at about 17:30 and got a puncture, had planned to repair it at the side of the road but couldn’t hear the air escape and locate the hole with the constant noise of passing cars. Had to resort to replacing the tube and mending the old one at home in quieter surroundings.

Did you try passing the tube by your cheek, or rubbing spit on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I wouldn’t be bothered repairing them at home never mind at the side of a road considering how cheap they are to buy.

New inner tube in. Job done. Move on with my life.

I rarely repair mine these days. Time is short even at home, never mind on the road.
    The hassle to a patch not working 100% isn't worth it. I tend to throw in a new tube and repair the old and leave it hanging in the shed as a spare.

But I remember leaving my work commuter (which I've had for years, now retired) into the bike shop for something, and saying it might need a new tube.
    When picking it up the guy showed me the old tube, there were about 10 patches on it.

I rarely repair mine these days. Time is short even at home, never mind on the road.
    The hassle to a patch not working 100% isn't worth it. I tend to throw in a new tube and repair the old and leave it hanging in the shed as a spare.

But I remember leaving my work commuter (which I've had for years, now retired) into the bike shop for something, and saying it might need a new tube.
    When picking it up the guy showed me the old tube, there were about 10 patches on it.

Ha! 10 patches. Love it. I just wouldn’t have the patience to be honest.

Maybe if inner tubes were expensive I’d change my tune but yeah life’s too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I used to work in a bike shop while in secondary school years ago, most I've seen was 21 patches that an auld lad had on the rear tube of a high nellie. In fairness to him it was much easier mending a puncture in situ on those than remove the wheel with the full chain guard and brake rods. Was only changing the tube as tyre also needed replacing.

Mending a puncture is usually pretty quick, for the commuter I'd generally use the glueless patches which ParkTool make the most reliable version. While I pick up a few tubes when on offer the price of a patch is near nothing.

Mending a puncture is usually pretty quick, for the commuter I'd generally use the glueless patches which ParkTool make the most reliable version. While I pick up a few tubes when on offer the price of a patch is near nothing.

Tubes cost absolutely **** all let’s be honest particularly when you hardly ever need to change them.

I’ve cycled over 500km in the past month or so with no puncture. I’m on Pirelli PZero 4S tyres.

I wouldn’t expect to puncture often these or a set of Conti 4S but when I do it’ll be a quick tube in and out job. No faffin about looking for the hole and plastering it etc.

Fair play to anyone who does it but not for me.

• Advertisement

I think it was more a mindset to spend as little as possible on the bike or the challenge to fix things like that. Maybe it was not to become part of disposable culture. I dunno. The patch kits are so much easier these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stupid move.

Last weekend's issues were caused by literally thousands of people running the virtual marathon in the Park, uncontrolled and unsafe.

The Park remains a choice destination for those within 5km seeking fresh air and exercise. People who need to drive to it, will still do so, so all closing the perimeter gates will do is congest the Castleknock and Parkgates and approaches and cause a ton of inconsiderate parking in surrounding neighbourhoods.

People will remember that the weekends prior to the side gates reopening in July were punctuated by tailbacks on the main Avenue, both ways, without any special events being on. I expect as much to happen again if the weather is decent at any stage over the next few weekends.

Whats needed is proper internal traffic management on the side roads and restoration of safe parking. Half the problem is cars roaming around looking to park because so many thousands of metres were lost on Chesterfield Avenue in April and never restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My housemate got back from a lunchtime run in the Park earlier and said it was mental with all the traffic and cars parked absolutely everywhere. So not just a "virtual marathon" thing.

Can't blame them closing it so.

Just shows you the traffic isn't always commuters and a lot of people use cars to access the park for recreation. I thought it was relatively quiet before the lockdown.

Anyway this seems a sensible compromise all things considered.

That said I've only been the park lately with elderly relatives to give them a change of scene. I don't remember what day of the week they all seem the same theses days.

Phoenix Park is a destination and draws people from outside of a 5km radius, as painful as it is, it's probably sensible to introduce measures to restrict access at this time.
    Short of giving people a special local access permit, I can't think of a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Can't blame them closing it so.

Just shows you the traffic isn't always commuters and a lot of people use cars to access the park for recreation. I thought it was relatively quiet before the lockdown.

Anyway this seems a sensible compromise all things considered.

That said I've only been the park lately with elderly relatives to give them a change of scene. I don't remember what day of the week they all seem the same theses days.

They’re not closing it!
    They’re closing the Gates (except Castleknock & Parkgate St) to vehicular traffic, not to Pedestrians or Cyclists.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    They’re not closing it!
    They’re closing the Gates (except Castleknock & Parkgate St) to vehicular traffic, not to Pedestrians or Cyclists.

So, they're causing congestion at two gates and in two neighbourhoods for no appreciable benefit within? Wonderful.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So, they're causing congestion at two gates and in two neighbourhoods for no appreciable benefit within? Wonderful.
    If there's any congestion then this is as a result of people in cars and nobody else.

• Advertisement

If there's any congestion then this is as a result of people in cars and nobody else.

Did I say otherwise?

Advertisement