Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

Phil.x wrote: »
    Just open the gates as it was never a problem.

I called cabra garda, usual tosh about covid was the reply, I said send someone up to manage the traffic, he said he'd make a call but I guess he was too busy eating doughnuts, as both lanes are blocked.

It’s good the gates are blocked. If the traffic is that bad (and from what I hear, the memorial park is busier than locals have ever seen it) it’s good that there are spaces where you can get away from cars....cycle with the kids, walk in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I was there walking yesterday it seemed only the Criminal court gate and castleknock gates were open with all the others closed.

The queue out for the criminal courts went back as far as the Aras viewing spot -That's 2km!!!!
    The queue for the castleknock gate seemed similar..

I guess you could enter the park not thinking it was too bad but the only ways out already had huge tailbacks. Is this only a weekend thing? The other gates seem open during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I was there walking yesterday it seemed only the Criminal court gate and castleknock gates were open with all the others closed.

The queue out for the criminal courts went back as far as the Aras viewing spot -That's 2km!!!!
    The queue for the castleknock gate seemed similar..

I guess you could enter the park not thinking it was too bad but the only ways out already had huge tailbacks. Is this only a weekend thing? The other gates seem open during the week.

It was announced a few weeks ago that through current period of Level 5 restrictions all gates bar Castleknock and Parkgate Street gates are to remain closed to vehicular traffic at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I guess it's more letters to the elected TD's and garda commissioner seeking clarity on this insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It’s good the gates are blocked. If the traffic is that bad (and from what I hear, the memorial park is busier than locals have ever seen it) it’s good that there are spaces where you can get away from cars....cycle with the kids, walk in peace.

Problems is everyone had the same idea. I heard other parks were very busy also.
    .... Is this only a weekend thing? The other gates seem open during the week.

Its just busier at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

St Catherine's has also been very busy at the weekends, this isn't a traffic issue, it's just lots of demand for local recreation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Phil.x wrote: »
    Yes, I text from traffic.

Put your phone away. You're supposed to be watching what's going on around you, even in traffic. It is a busy area for pedestrians and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Everything I said would happen. Absolute joke by the OPW and the Guards. A dead blind dog saw it coming.

Have already put the emails in to get it opened up properly again at the weekends. It'll be one of the few things *ALL* people within 5kms are entitled to enjoy in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

So much more pleasant for pedestrians with the side gates closed.

For what it's worth other parks in the city were absolutely gridlock today as well. It's due to Lockdown and people have nowhere else to go or do so we are congregating en masse in the parks. Once level 5 restrictions are eased so to will the traffic levels in the phoenix park. If gridlock remains then they should look into an exit only side gate perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It was madness there today. And there's no way to blame through traffic or rat runs. Those cars were all park users.

The idea of closing the gates was so that the Gardaí would need fewer checkpoints to enforce the 5km limit, so hopefully they'll reopen on 1st December.

• Advertisement

It was madness there today. And there's no way to blame through traffic or rat runs. Those cars were all park users.

The idea of closing the gates was so that the Gardaí would need fewer checkpoints to enforce the 5km limit, so hopefully they'll reopen on 1st December.

It was through traffic that caused the issues.
    Obviously, the car parks were not full.
    Where are they going anyway? People are not supposed to go more than 5km.
    If drivers don't want to be stuck in traffic in the park, then they shouldn't drive through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

bubblypop wrote: »
    If drivers don't want to be stuck in traffic in the park, then they shouldn't drive through it.
    They did seem packed to me after I got to the closest one some 80 minutes after entering Chesterfield Avenue. And that was about 4pm when more people were already leaving than coming in. Madness. Things started moving again only after Gardai arrived to direct the traffic. The whole idea is insane as the Parkgate exit in particular is an absolute choking point with a very short green light for leaving cars.

The car park at Ashtown Castle was full by 11am.

People keep saying that, but almost every time there's gridlock in the last year it's been the weekend and during a lockdown. There is no where to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Drivers continually driving to a park at weekends knowing it'll be chaotic. Drivers continually moaning about said issue. Madness.

beauf wrote: »
    People keep saying that, but almost every time there's gridlock in the last year it's been the weekend and during a lockdown. There is no where to go....

There is a 5km limit for exercise, do you really think that the Phoenix park would be full of cars from people travelling within 5km of the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

There is a 5km limit for exercise, do you really think that the Phoenix park would be full of cars from people travelling within 5km of the park?
    Most of Dublin is within 5km from the park.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    So much more pleasant for pedestrians with the side gates closed.

For what it's worth other parks in the city were absolutely gridlock today as well. It's due to Lockdown and people have nowhere else to go or do so we are congregating en masse in the parks. Once level 5 restrictions are eased so to will the traffic levels in the phoenix park. If gridlock remains then they should look into an exit only side gate perhaps.

I agree.

And as a long term plan I would add reasonably sized car parks at each gate, with the gates open but access only to that specific car park, with no through traffic, except for down the avenue. Bollards set in the roads like exist on the S-bends. I remember when those went in - the magazine fort area of the park was transformed

Most of Dublin is within 5km from the park.

Lol!
    It is not.

raheny red wrote: »
    Drivers continually driving to a park at weekends knowing it'll be chaotic. Drivers continually moaning about said issue. Madness.

Well, in the absence of anywhere else to go within a 5km radius or anything else to do with everything shut, yes, that pretty much sums it up.

Will I go back next weekend, in my car? Yes. Will I complain? Yes, because it doesn't need to be like this.

• Advertisement

Well, in the absence of anywhere else to go within a 5km radius or anything else to do with everything shut, yes, that pretty much sums it up.

Will I go back next weekend, in my car? Yes. Will I complain? Yes, because it doesn't need to be like this.

"Anywhere else" :D

They were so, they were jammed.

A few months ago I used some of the GIS data I have access to and calculated that between
    215,000 and 260,000 people live within 5k of PP.
    At the same time, I wouldn't be naive enough to stand over every person in the Park today being from the cordon area, but it just shows there is no justification in leaving the gates closed.

"Anywhere else" :D

I'm open to suggestions. This weekend I went to Catherine's Park on Saturday and Phoenix Park on Sunday.

If there's a fabulous alternative within 5km of Carpenterstown that I'm missing, I'm all ears.

I'm open to suggestions. This weekend I went to Catherine's Park on Saturday and Phoenix Park on Sunday.

If there's a fabulous alternative within 5km of Carpenterstown that I'm missing, I'm all ears.

There's plenty of alternatives not quite sure I can help you with the fabulous part though.

Depends on what you want to do?
    Obvs you have the walk along the canal. Waterstone park, Palmerston. Tolka valley park ashtown.
    If it's just walks, St Catherine's might be just outside your 5km, so if your happy to go just outside, there's the war memorial gardens, islandbridge & moma kilmainham.

https://2kmfromhome.com/

Drop a pin in the middle of the park give it a 6 to 7k radius and you'll have some idea

Well its a thread about parking and traffic in the Phoenix park.
    What exactly were you expecting?

Exactly.

They succumbed to the defn. of madness.

• Advertisement

https://2kmfromhome.com/

Drop a pin in the middle of the park give it a 6 to 7k radius and you'll have some idea

I have done it before today, with a 5km radius, seeing as that's the limit.
    It's not, as the poster says, anything like most of Dublin within 5 km of the park.

Advertisement