Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have done it before today, with a 5km radius, seeing as that's the limit.
    It's not, as the poster says, anything like most of Dublin within 5 km of the park.

Park is 4km long. So the radius of catchment of the park in lockdown is far greater than 5k.

beauf wrote: »
    Park is 4km long. So the radius of catchment of the park in lockdown is far greater than 5k.

?
    Seriously. I know how to measure radius, thanks
    A radius of 5km from the walls of the park, does not include most of Dublin.

?

Your point was (I assume) that there are not that many people within 5k of the park, not enough to cause a traffic jam.
    There is a 5km limit for exercise, do you really think that the Phoenix park would be full of cars from people travelling within 5km of the park?

There is a massive amount of people within 5k of a park gate.

Even if people stuck rigidly to the rules. I think we can safety assume they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBd8niJ6b2s&ab_channel=RorysStories

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have a park at the back of my house, go out the back gate and there we are.

Issue I have now is dogs off the leash and going demented and all that. Owners think they are hilarious. Is there anything I can do about this?

Totally fed up with this, so drive to Memorial Gardens, park up and do the River walk instead.

Your point was (I assume) that there are not that many people within 5k of the park, not enough to cause a traffic jam.

My point was to a poster who claimed that most of Dublin is within 5 km of the Phoenix park. I was pointing out that was not true.
    Anyone who lives within 3 km of the park should be walking, unless somehow incapacitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Utterly stupid closing the side gates. Delays people getting to where they are going for absolutely no benefit.

My point was to a poster who claimed that most of Dublin is within 5 km of the Phoenix park. I was pointing out that was not true.
    Anyone who lives within 3 km of the park should be walking, unless somehow incapacitated.

Why don't you want cyclists in the park.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't specify cyclists. Jaysis!
    Ok, anyone within 5km should be cycling to the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

As a walker I find I spend an awful lot more time trying to avoid unruly cyclists in the Phoenix park than anything else, particularly this year. Cars have never been a problem for me.

Some committed cyclists can be rotten to others in their path.

Dog owners don't care about others either.

It is a constant battle. All we want to do is walk in the fresh (ahem) air and enjoy it. But it is not so enjoyable now. Cars, joggers, cyclists, dogs, I dunno anymore. Too many people, too many restrictions maybe.

I honestly never heard of the Exercise mantra before Covid. I like sleeping TBH lol.

• Advertisement

As a walker I find I spend an awful lot more time trying to avoid unruly cyclists in the Phoenix park than anything else, particularly this year. Cars have never been a problem for me.

Agree.

There is so much talk about cycle lanes, but NOTHING about pedestrian access at all. Ever.

No worries about cyclists at all, but walkers are largely forgotten about in the cycle/car debate really.

Can you tell me why walkers are largely ignored in favour of cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Agree.

There is so much talk about cycle lanes, but NOTHING about pedestrian access at all. Ever.

Car is king.

raheny red wrote: »
    Car is king.

And cycling. Walkers are ignored.

Severe lack of pedestrian crossings all right.

Severe lack of pedestrian crossings all right.

Agree. But what can walkers do?

What's "should" mean, though, in terms of being a meaningful statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Are there not 2 pedestrian only lanes on each side of the road?

I walk in the park a few times a week and have yet to have a problem going about my business tbh

I've seen cyclists hit by cars with my own eyes twice in the last year- not that cyclists don't behave badly within the grounds (particularly those who seem to be doing times/organised activities)

Cars speeding also a problem

But as I say, nothing at all to prevent me enjoying a stroll about the place a few times a week

Car is king.

Going by your name you may be familiar with St. Anne's Park.

Great place and no cars either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

?
    distance.jpg

Are there not 2 pedestrian only lanes on each side of the road?

There are, but you have to be careful as to which lane you use. It is very easy to veer from the cycle path to the the walking space.

distance.jpg

Now put it into a map of Dublin

Going by your name you may be familiar with St. Anne's Park.

Great place and no cars either.

A fantastic park which has been greatly improved the last few years.

I'm in D15 now but am avoiding the phoenix park at weekends.

Richmond Park in London has gone car free. Seems nice.

https://twitter.com/lucullus/status/1330583443059642368?s=19

There are, but you have to be careful as to which lane you use. It is very easy to veer from the cycle path to the the walking space.

The cycle path off the road has been closed for months. There are two pedestrian footpaths either side of chesterfield ave.
    The hard shoulder of the avenue is now the cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

The old cycle path is now only for pedestrians meaning 2 pedestrian only paths on each side, cyclists have to use the new cycle lane on the road. Not ideal for family or recreational cyclists

Oh I'm sorry I didn't specify cyclists. Jaysis!
    Ok, anyone within 5km should be cycling to the park :)

Now you don't want walkers. :D

The old cycle path is now only for pedestrians meaning 2 pedestrian only paths on each side, cyclists have to use the new cycle lane on the road. Not ideal for family or recreational cyclists

There's lots of places to cycle in the park. Whats the attraction of a straight line, beside a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

3km is a long trek for older people and young kids.

But the point that people keep missing is that the park is not a single point on the map. You arrive at your nearest gate on foot and chances are you still have a substantial distance to your actual destination. It's not reasonable to expect people to walk 4 or 5km each way to use park facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

3km is a long trek for older people and young kids.

But the point that people keep missing is that the park is not a single point on the map. You arrive at your nearest gate on foot and chances are you still have a substantial distance to your actual destination. It's not reasonable to expect people to walk 4 or 5km each way to use park facilities.
    There is plenty of parking adjacent to the park. Some free, some pay and display. Short walk to the gates and you're in. Why do park users object to these parking spots?
    What destination in the park is drawing the crowds these days?

Advertisement