Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is plenty of parking adjacent to the park. Some free, some pay and display. Short walk to the gates and you're in. Why do park users object to these parking spots?
    What destination in the park is drawing the crowds these days?

What destination? That it is a park not enough?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

beauf wrote: »
    What destination? That it is a park not enough?
    But all those people driving to the park and sitting in their cars for ages - what were they hoping to do in the park? Where were they going? What was going to be so good that they endured the boredom of sitting in the car to get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

To be fair, a lot of people probably drove in not realising how hard it was going to be to get back out again. I was there before lunchtime and there was no sign of traffic congestion. So people could easily have driven in around lunchtime, went for a coffee or a walk and by the time they were finished, it was chaos getting back out.

But all those people driving to the park and sitting in their cars for ages - what were they hoping to do in the park? Where were they going? What was going to be so good that they endured the boredom of sitting in the car to get there?

What exact answer are you hoping for here.

What do people do in parks?
    How do I avoid traffic?
    What is traffic?
    Why use a car?

The list is endless...

I'm curious to know why people feel that they must park their car somewhere in the park and not avail of the parking within a short walk of the park.
    I'm curious to know why peoplke think it is a good idea to drive to the park at the weekend, when all reports are that traffic becomes mental at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

3km is a long trek for older people and young kids.

But the point that people keep missing is that the park is not a single point on the map. You arrive at your nearest gate on foot and chances are you still have a substantial distance to your actual destination. It's not reasonable to expect people to walk 4 or 5km each way to use park facilities.

Exactly, like the main playground and visitors centre. The Papal Cross and Farmleigh would also be quite a hike from all the entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I'm curious to know why people feel that they must park their car somewhere in the park and not avail of the parking within a short walk of the park.
    I'm curious to know why peoplke think it is a good idea to drive to the park at the weekend, when all reports are that traffic becomes mental at the weekends.

My closest gate would be Chapilizod. There is very limited parking there and really it should be left for residents and their visitors. There is no sensible reason to deter people from parking in the central car parks of the Phoenix Park.

My closest gate would be Chapilizod. There is very limited parking there and really it should be left for residents and their visitors. There is no sensible reason to deter people from parking in the central car parks of the Phoenix Park.
    They're not being deterred as far as I know. The only thing slowing traffic down is traffic. So why choose to be a part of that?

Last few times I was in the park it was with a 90+yr old, with a mobility aid. We go to Farmleigh or Fruze road. Coming from Castleknock gate where do you suggest parking outside the park that is a "short" walk for them.

Frequently we park on Whites Rd for a walk down to mount Sackville gate. But this road is often either full, or blocked. It was closed for the last lockdown. So what parking outside the park do you suggest for getting to Whites Gate.

Be warned. Last time this came up they suggested parking on the R109, and blocking the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3466991,-6.3363137,3a,75y,97.27h,89.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfQMvUp9elMs4FljrmJ9fgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement

Last few times I was in the park it was with a 90+yr old, with a mobility aid. We go to Farmleigh or Fruze road. Coming from Castleknock gate where do you suggest parking outside the park that is a "short" walk for them.
    Are you siggesting that everyone who drives and parks there is accompanied by a 90+yr old with a moibility aid or are loads of park users just being lazy and not wanting to park and walk to their walk?
    Most park users who park there (based on my experience) don't need to park within the park but want to for convenience.
    Frequently we park on Whites Rd for a walk down to mount Sackville gate. But this road is often either full, or blocked. It was closed for the last lockdown. So what parking outside the park do you suggest for getting to Whites Gate.
    I've no idea where you're coming from, where you're wanting to go.
    Why must you use Whites Gate?
    Can you not drop people off and park elsewhere if parking isn't available right where you want it?

Be warned. Last time this came up they suggested parking on the R109, and blocking the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3466991,-6.3363137,3a,75y,97.27h,89.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfQMvUp9elMs4FljrmJ9fgA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    My recollection was for people to park on the R109 in areas where parking wasn't prohibited.
    What is your objection to parking that requires cars to overtake safely when it is deemed acceptable by many drivers to block footpaths and cycle lanes forcing vulnerable road users onto the road?

Are you siggesting that everyone who drives and parks there is accompanied by a 90+yr old with a moibility aid or are loads of park users just being lazy and not wanting to park and walk to their walk?
    Most park users who park there (based on my experience) don't need to park within the park but want to for convenience.

I've no idea where you're coming from, where you're wanting to go.
    Why must you use Whites Gate?
    Can you not drop people off and park elsewhere if parking isn't available right where you want it?

I see so you can't answer the question.

What happened to " the plenty of parking adjacent to the park"

My recollection was for people to park on the R109 in areas where parking wasn't prohibited.
    What is your objection to parking that requires cars to overtake safely when it is deemed acceptable by many drivers to block footpaths and cycle lanes forcing vulnerable road users onto the road?

I've no objection. What's your objection.

Its not within 5k so I wouldn't be using it anyway.

Similar. I used to take my mother to the Phoenix Park as she grew up nearby and loved it, but with her in a wheelchair it became too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

What have they done in the park?

Haven’t been there in a month or so.

My sister in law was there yesterday, said it was absolute chaos, couldn’t get out, took ages.

I see so you can't answer the question.

What happened to " the plenty of parking adjacent to the park"
    But there is. :rolleyes:
    The fact is that you want to park somewhere where loads of others have had the same idea. That it may be blocked with cars does not deny it's existence.
    I also provided you with a potential solution if your preferred spot is taken of dropping people off while you park further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There is plenty of parking adjacent to the park. Some free, some pay and display. Short walk to the gates and you're in. Why do park users object to these parking spots?
    What destination in the park is drawing the crowds these days?

You don't have kids, do you?

The playground and maze at Ashtown Castle.

The duck pond at Ordnance Survey, the duck pond at Farmleigh.

Running up the hill at Pope's Cross and then rolling down it.

Exploring the woods at the Furry Glen.

There is f**k all to do with small kids at the moment, the park is one of the few places where you can entertain kids for hours.

What have they done in the park?

Haven’t been there in a month or so.

My sister in law was there yesterday, said it was absolute chaos, couldn’t get out, took ages.

All the vehicular gates are closed at weekends, apart from the ones at Parkgate Street and Castleknock Village.

Thus, every car has to pass through one of these two gates thus creating massive bottlenecks.

But there is. :rolleyes:
    The fact is that you want to park somewhere where loads of others have had the same idea. That it may be blocked with cars does not deny it's existence.
    I also provided you with a potential solution if your preferred spot is taken of dropping people off while you park further away.

You said there was " parking adjacent to the park"

You've backed it up with zilch.

Dropping people off and picking them up is not parking.

• Advertisement

There is f**k all to do with small kids at the moment, the park is one of the few places where you can entertain kids for hours.

He want you to drop them off on their, own while you go park who knows where. Then walk back to them. Then repeat the process on the way back.

I do have children. I don't drive them to public parks at weekends knowing that traffic is going to be a nightmare.
    You are just pissed off because you, like thousands of others, want to be able to drive into the park, park there and have your fun before driving off.
    Well, unfortunately, there isn't the facilites for that. It has been widely reported that traffic in the park at weekends is bad, so why do people persist in driving into it?
    Probably for the exact same reason that they will park outside Glasnevin Cemetery on the R135 Finglas Rd blocking both the cycle path and the bus lane. Despite a car park inside the cemetery and another across the road from it plus on-street parking outside the main gate and along streets adjacent to the R135.

You said there was " parking adjacent to the park"

You've backed it up with zilch.

Dropping people off and picking them up is not parking.
    There is loads of parking. You even mentioned one street - Whites Rd - which apparently is suitable for you. Why not park there?
    Are you wanting me to list off every street available around the park?
    You can also park in the city centre (on street or multi-storey) and get a bus.
    There are loads of options but you seem to have an excuse to not use any of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I do have children. I don't drive them to public parks at weekends knowing that traffic is going to be a nightmare.
    You are just pissed off because you, like thousands of others, want to be able to drive into the park, park there and have your fun before driving off.

Before this year, there was plenty of parking in Phoenix Park along Chesterfield Avenue, and enough access gates which meant people weren't funnelled into two entrances, the measures by OPW have made the situation worse for a significant number of park users.

Well, unfortunately, there isn't the facilites for that. It has been widely reported that traffic in the park at weekends is bad, so why do people persist in driving into it?
    Probably for the exact same reason that they will park outside Glasnevin Cemetery on the R135 Finglas Rd blocking both the cycle path and the bus lane. Despite a car park inside the cemetery and another across the road from it plus on-street parking outside the main gate and along streets adjacent to the R135.

The traffic nightmare is an entirely artificial creation though, that's the problem.

I absolutely do want to be able to drive to the park, park there, have fun and then drive off. That's literally what the park is there for.

There is loads of parking. You even mentioned one street - Whites Rd - which apparently is suitable for you. Why not park there?
    There are loads of options but you seem to have an excuse to not use any of them.

Lol. You want the guy to drive from D15 into town, thus breaking the 5km limit, then get onto a bus, thus breaking the 'essential journey only' rule?

Jesus.

Why don't the cycling nutters go elsewhere? Seems by far the easiest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

It has been widely reported that traffic in the park at weekends is bad, so why do people persist in driving into it?
    It is, but closing the gates makes it drastically worse, so why make it so much more difficult for visitors in this awful time? For some of the visitors it's a matter of added comfort by having no cars around, for others it's a matter of not being able to take their families to the park at all.

It is, but closing the gates makes it drastically worse, so why make it so much more difficult for visitors in this awful time? For some of the visitors it's a matter of added comfort by having no cars around, for others it's a matter of not being able to take their families to the park at all.
    But you're only seeing it from one perspective. It is made worse for some of those that choose to drive (at it's busiest).
    Those that access the park by bike, walk, bus or any other means have the freedom to move without people driving and parking like dickheads. The park is so much more enjoyable for so many people now.

You can't park there if its full and or closed. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about that. Its a tiny laneway that two cars can't pass in it. That is not "plenty of parking adjacent"

I can't park in the city center. Its outside the 5km.

There aren't my excuses are rules. Other people made up the rules.

• Advertisement

But you're only seeing it from one perspective. It is made worse for some of those that choose to drive (at it's busiest).
    Those that access the park by bike, walk, bus or any other means have the freedom to move without people driving and parking like dickheads. The park is so much more enjoyable for so many people now.

One of the reasons they originally closed in the original lockdown was because of the conflict between cyclists and pedestrians. Maybe they should also close it for cyclists. It would be much more enjoyable to walk around then.

Advertisement