Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

liamog wrote: »
    Ok so then you do support the OPW building parking facilities near the park gates so people who want to use the park can park there?

I would prefer the car parking facilities to be in the park rather at the edges.
    Car parks inside the gates only encourages commuters to park there

Ok so then you do support the OPW building parking facilities near the park gates so people who want to use the park can park there?

They don’t have to be beside the gates, but the gates should provide access to car parks rather than access to through routes.

And cars parked on verges should be towed. Zero tolerance like in Richmond park in London

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They don’t have to be beside the gates, but the gates should provide access to car parks rather than access to through routes.

And cars parked on verges should be towed. Zero tolerance like in Richmond park in London

Richmond is a good example, the car parks are near the gates, except for a couple in the middle where they are disabled parking only.

I'm all in favour of reducing traffic through and in the park, I believe the best way to do this is with car parks on the periphery. I don't believe commuters will park at a Castleknock Gate/Kockmaroon Gate/Ashtown Gate and hike to the Main Gate to get onto the Luas into town.

Richmond is a good example, the car parks are near the gates, except for a couple in the middle where they are disabled parking only.

I'm all in favour of reducing traffic through and in the park, I believe the best way to do this is with car parks on the periphery. I don't believe commuters will park at a Castleknock Gate/Kockmaroon Gate/Ashtown Gate and hike to the Main Gate to get onto the Luas into town.

That's true, I can only go by the way it was before covid, when the car parks just off Chesterfield Ave were full everyday before 9am with commuters parking there.

Some of the car parks arent beside the gates but are all pretty close, and 2/3 of the routes are now blocked other than access to these car parks. Only the Richmond to Kingston road is open for through traffic, and the Roehampton to Richmond road is only open on weekdays. The rest is blocked, and after the consultation ends is looking likely to stay that way.

Car parking spaces are broadly comparable to Phoenix Park (1,500 spaces, and is a bigger park with a larger catchment area).

The principles I think can be very clearly applied to Phoenix Park.....1) zero tolerance of illegal parking 2) only selected roads for through routes (only one through route at the weekend) and 3) gates to provide access to car parks only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I trust they will be well hung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

North road closing from 12 April for 3 months from Garda HQ to Ratra House. No pedestrian access either. See https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/077b1-phoenix-park-north-road-essential-repair-roadworks-april-12-to-june-18-2021/

ebade4b5-4cfd-4066-865f-5181019d5623.png

This will be a disaster!
    But suppose it needs doing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

Why was this not done as essential work while the park had reduced capacity, now when things are opening up you have a major section of road closed both to traffic and pedestrians, what a joke, can no one plan anything in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They could do one side and leave the other side open. But they will close the entire road while only working on one small section at at time. Least that's what they normally do.They've even closed it before for roadworks that weren't even on this road.

They are consistent I'll give them that.

What they should do is close the road and not resurface it. Let it return to grass and wild meadow. Plant trees and make a new woodland adventure trail.

Joe4321 wrote: »
    Why was this not done as essential work while the park had reduced capacity, now when things are opening up you have a major section of road closed both to traffic and pedestrians, what a joke, can no one plan anything in this country.

Perhaps this was the plan. Their objective might not be the same as yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Joe4321

It's clear that there plan is to drive cars out of the park, next we will here from the cyclists about how there are too many cars on Chesterfield avenue and demand that all cars be band from the park while this resurfacing is been done, there does not seem to be any joined up thinking in this country and that's very evident from the last year.

That's been the plan for decades... Nothing new about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Good to see it being repaired. Hopefully they widen the footpath and incorporate a dedicated cycle path. I mean it would be shocking if they're not doing that but it also wouldn't shock me if they don't.
    VonLuck wrote: »

I'll believe it when I see it. It's only taken 3 years and €800,000. They've missed various dates. Yes Covid has delayed things but remember it took them over a year after they removed the gates just to start the tender process!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Good to see it being repaired. Hopefully they widen the footpath and incorporate a dedicated cycle path. I mean it would be shocking if they're not doing that but it also wouldn't shock me if they don't.

That's not a part of the proposals unfortunately. This is the scope as described:

The project involves the removal and disposal of existing road surface and relaying of new road surface, taking up, cleaning and relaying of existing granite kerbs and the removal and disposal of existing footpath and relaying of new footpath surface.

Other ancillary works will include installation of traffic calming ramps along the 2.5 kilometre stretch of road.

These works are entirely unrelated to any proposals included In the recently published Phoenix Park Transport and Mobility Options Report.

I'll believe it when I see it. It's only taken 3 years and €800,000. They've missed various dates. Yes Covid has delayed things but remember it took them over a year after they removed the gates just to start the tender process!

It really is strange how long it has taken. How could the refurbishment of gates take 3 years?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Maybe they got Cecilia Giménez in to do the refurbishment.

Joe4321 wrote: »

Contractors can't work. Emergency works only.

While you're right that these most severe restrictions will begin to ease in a few weeks, theres no question of things even approaching normal for many months yet, so its as good a time as any to do this work.

What concerns me is any attempt by the OPW just to chuck in a cul-de-sac at the end of the job as one of these "trials". They had better not try to subvert their own consultation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

800k! What are they made of, solid gold?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Contractors can't work. Emergency works only.

While you're right that these most severe restrictions will begin to ease in a few weeks, theres no question of things even approaching normal for many months yet, so its as good a time as any to do this work.

What concerns me is any attempt by the OPW just to chuck in a cul-de-sac at the end of the job as one of these "trials". They had better not try to subvert their own consultation process.

Be surprised if they didn't. Leopard...spots...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Main car park at the Papal Cross apparently now closing at 6pm each day. What about the people stopping off after work in the evenings for a walk or run after work. Makes no sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Main car park at the Papal Cross apparently now closing at 6pm each day. What about the people stopping off after work in the evenings for a walk or run after work. Makes no sense to me!

There must be some reason for that, makes no sense that they would start doing that as the evenings are getting longer, it's been open late all winter.

....is there anything to be said for saying another mass...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Email them: superintendent.park@opw.ie and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

daymobrew wrote: »
    Email them: superintendent.park@opw.ie and ask.

Thanks and I will.

The side gates are closed, no parking on chesterfield avenue, papal car park closing early now apparently and in general attempts at removing cars.

I personally think people will just start going elsewhere and a few years from now we’ll be wondering why the park is so empty.

They won't because they see it as nature reserve first and an amenity a far distant second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

beauf wrote: »
    They won't because they see it as nature reserve first and an amenity a far distant second.

Ya we really need to preserve those scarce deer... By shooting 30 every year :pac:

They are expensive so what ever it takes...

• Advertisement

The side gates are closed, no parking on chesterfield avenue, papal car park closing early now apparently and in general attempts at removing cars.

I personally think people will just start going elsewhere and a few years from now we’ll be wondering why the park is so empty.

The side gates aren't closed?

It was busy in there today but everyone managed to park. I use any of the three carparks on the southern side of the 15 acres and always get a space handy enough. Nice to see it so busy today.

Advertisement