Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Everywhere park, beach etc is busy today I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

beauf wrote: »
    Everywhere park, beach etc is busy today I reckon.

Open the pubs and shops and the park will be back to being pre-covid popular.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Main car park at the Papal Cross apparently now closing at 6pm each day. What about the people stopping off after work in the evenings for a walk or run after work. Makes no sense to me!

I was parked in it on Friday from about 7pm to 7.50 and no sign of it closing when I was leaving. There *is* a sign on the barrier at the entrance saying car park closes at 6pm but that is the second time in recent weeks I have been there at that time without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

VonLuck wrote: »

Was in the park today and it looks like they've started doing something with the Ashtown gate at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was in the park today and it looks like they've started doing something with the Ashtown gate at last.

Work being done on Chapelizod Gate as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

In the last few weeks small signs with bikes/people/arrows have been installed on wooden sticks at each junction on the new paths on Chesterfield Avenue. If I'm interpreting them correctly the intent is that to keep bikes off the old cycle paths (and walkers off the hard shoulder cycle paths). Confusingly they also seem to want to enforce one way walking on the new footpaths.

If you've seen the signs, you'll know what I'm talking about. I might take a picture next time. Doesn't make any sense to me, even if segregating people walking in the opposite direction might have been the intent at the "max fear" stage of the pandemic.

Does anyone know what this is about?

No signs at the old paths, so I suppose they're still OK for two way walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd say they left any attempt to do something like that 12 months too late. People are just gonna do whatever they like, short of walking on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The one way walker signs have been there a while (totally ignored of course). They tried those in my local park but gave up on them. Saw one old fella give out to someone walking the other way one day and she just looked at him confused and said "yeah, thanks".

Wasn't she right too?

I'm all for legitimate public health measures but thats a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Yeah those arrows on the footpaths have been up for months. I get the point of it but it's totally ignored so really just a waste of paint.

Separately I have noticed the need for Zebra crossings on Chesterfield Avenue. There's effectively no official crossing point on this entire stretch. There's a line near Castleknock which is not in line with standard zebra crossing road markings so basically they are expecting people to J walk and dodge traffic in a public park..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Trying a way one system but no pedestrian crossings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭I told ya

On Chesterfield Avenue, runners on the outer paths and walkers on the inner paths. Would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

I told ya wrote: »
    On Chesterfield Avenue, runners on the outer paths and walkers on the inner paths. Would it work?

I'm taking it that you mean inner as the one closer to the road? Vice versa would be better. Nobody likes walking beside the car traffic unless they have to, much nicer to walk further away from the fumes and noise and under the leafy trees.

Inner path is smoother as it doesn't have as many tree roots, so would be better for runners.

Whats he on about? The new mobility plan for the Park hasn't been agreed yet.

Yes, they were resurfacing a badly broken up road. Did he expect them to do a crap job of it for some reason?

If he's dazed and confused he should inform himself better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bizarre. One look at those pictures and you'd know that it's not newly installed.

Never let facts get in the way of outrage and zealotry though. That's the key.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats he on about? The new mobility plan for the Park hasn't been agreed yet.

Yes, they were resurfacing a badly broken up road. Did he expect them to do a crap job of it for some reason?

If he's dazed and confused he should inform himself better.

True, but seeing as major works were involved in resurfacing they could have considered adjusting it somewhat, such as moving the ramp out of the cycle lane.

True, but seeing as major works were involved in resurfacing they could have considered adjusting it somewhat, such as moving the ramp out of the cycle lane.

As was responded to his tweet, they deliberately put them in the cycle lane so cars wouldn't use the cycle lane to avoid them. Granted, some cycle lane deflectors might have been a better solution.

The section with the ramp in the cycle lane was very clearly not resurfaced.

The cycling lobby don't help themselves sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's not fair to tarnish an entire group based on one twit. At least require a good few twits - like one does with Audi drivers :-)

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean. They clearly have put a new speed bump in the cycle lane.

Not sure what you mean. They clearly have put a new speed bump in the cycle lane.

No, they have not. It was always like that.

No, they have not. It was always like that.

Nope. They've replaced the existing speed bumps as part of the resurfacing works.

Nope. They've replaced the existing speed bumps as part of the resurfacing works.

I'm not sure what it is you are saying?

The speed bumps were always in the cycle lane, a simple look at Google Street view shows how it was. They have resurfaced and replaced the ramp exactly as it was, including the cycle lane.

What are you on about?

The speed bumps were always in the cycle lane, a simple look at Google Street view shows how it was. They have resurfaced and replaced the ramp exactly as it was, including the cycle lane.

What are you on about?

I never said they weren't there previously. I said they put in new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

What are you on about?

Isn't this sort of the point? It would be the simplist thing to do. Just not start the ramp so close to the curb on a cycle lane.
    Now we will end up digging it up again in a few months as the part of the revised road system in the park in typical Irish fashion.

Possibly. Maybe. Maybe not.

Who knew repairing and rehanging gates could be such a long process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Who knew repairing and rehanging gates could be such a long process.

... Wait till you witness the grand opening of the gate.

Advertisement