Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

..and we are back to square one...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HMS Erebus

On the day of record breaking temperatures (ironically recorded in the park) you’re banging on about the Green Party and carbon targets - self awareness isn’t your strong suit - it’s not Eamon Ryan that sounds like a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HMS Erebus

Agreed - I’d go with option 1 but anything really would be a help.

I’m a car person but Christ the gig is up, we have to change, more of the is just not sustainable.

25c at 10:30pm is as good a reason as any for less cars

they still get my vote. We need them in government now more than ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How the hell do you propose to improve the bus service to and within the Park with that mess?

Speed cameras and ramps and chicanes, on the finest Grand Avenue in the Country. Jesus wept man. The effin Army of plastic bollards are pollution enough.

• Advertisement

That would be the bus that won't fit though the gates that's they won't change because they are old and just refurbished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It looked so much grander with the parked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think the best way to improve safety in the Phoenix Park is to introduce regular raised zebra crossings and some raised tables at junctions. Will facilitate safer crossing points AND slow down cars.

I agree.

But it also assumes there's a problem with safety. Not seen any stats to suggest there is. Other than high speed argument. Again it's a park so low speed limit seems appropriate and a good compromise to stopping through traffic. If it was enforced. Which it isn't. So therefore physical speed calming seems apt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a bit of chicken and egg with the safety issue; perhaps there's not much of an issue with safety due to pedestrians avoiding the main avenue (with the exception of the zoo) because of the cars, as it's not the most pleasant place to walk in the park as a result of them.

but then again, it wouldn't be the most pleasant place in the park to walk anyway, even without the cars; there's more interesting places to walk than along the main avenue.

I think people like the avenue because its measurable distance, walk to the phoenix and back. It used to be easy to park beside.

I think 50 is a bit slow myself. Went through twice this morning was behind a learner and a coach all doing 40 ish.

just out of curiosity, i decided to check how long it takes to get from castleknock through the city centre at the moment, and rather arbitrarily chose castleknock railway station as the origin and the convention centre as the destination.

google maps says 30mins to drive 10.7km (navan road to phibsboro, then down gardiner street); 33mins to cycle 10.2km through the park and down the quays (or 35mins to go along the canal the whole way, 10.5km) or 35 mins to get the train and walk from connolly. with the latter, i've not built in any time to get to the train station so that could easily be 15 mins longer. that 35 minutes is total travel time, it does not factor in waiting at home 15 minutes, say, so as not to be left waiting at the station, in their calculation the clock starts as soon as the train arrives.

obviously, rush hour would make the situation look better for cyclists as their travel time would not be as badly affected by rush hour.

The problem with driving through the park is the the choke point of the gates. Then once you're out of the gates you're limited by the next set of lights or bottle neck be that the Quays or Castleknock. Its also inconsistent, depends on traffic conditions at that time on that day.

Getting the train or cycling is usually the same consistent time regardless of conditions. Slower on a windy day, but not by that much, as you have it with you at least one way.

For me my cycle was about 35~45 into town and about 45~60 mins home. 14k each way.

Train is about 40~60 mins door to door, sometime I've a folding bike and/or drive to the station.

Driving is randomly 40~75 mins. But I know all the rat runs and avoid peak. I go a weird way. But its getting slower with all the road changes and is becoming impractical.

Sometimes I cycle down the canal which is 50~60 mins but its a nice change. Nicer on the bike, but not always practical. Love to try it on a electric bike. been off it a while due to injury.

google maps simply won't plot a course through the park anymore if you choose the car as the transport mode, unless you specifically tell it you want to go through the park.

The only people who need that are people who don't know the area - tourists and out of town visitors. So well done whom ever did that.

Waze still works Castleknock to Point Village

20 minArrive at 12:31 PM
    BEST
    TOLL
    M50 N; M50 S Port Tunnel
    19.8 KM

25 minArrive at 12:36 PM
    R147 Navan Rd
    9.9 KM

32 minArrive at 12:43 PM
    Chesterfield Ave Phoenix Park
    9.9 KM

Obviously its skewed because I used Point Village and going via the park it stupidly goes up the quays. (you never go up the Quays).

you'd use the north circular?

Driving no. Too many lights, too much traffic.

Cycling via the canal you might join it, but not since they open the link down the docklands. Depends where you are going in town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Absolute pure guff from Costello as well, he must have plenty of spare time on his hands while he's been suspended by the Green Party.

Someone else already said that, but the point is, cars move. Cars can be diverted for events like runs, parades, State visits etc. 17,000,000 bolted down bollards cannot easily be.

In fact, I've never had any issue with parking being removed from Chesterfield. I mean at the moment there is overflow car parking for the Zoo on the grass at the Lord's Walk, let the Greens scratch their head about that particular Hobson's Choice.

In all seriousness though, I really do expect the OPW to come up with a far less visually offensive solution to delineate the cycle lane, once the pilot period of the mobility study is over.

• Advertisement

Not ideal. But did the job cheap and fast.

Hopefully they'll think of something better eventually.

cycled around the park a bit yesterday, plus down martin's row. the latter was kinda funny, was being held up by people clearly nervous of driving along it in large cars. i don't know why they were going that way, the park itself certainly wasn't that busy, especially given the week that's in it.

Depends on your origin and destination I guess.

Now that the Upper Glen Road is closed within the Park, if you're coming eastbound through Chapelizod, its a very long diversion through the Park to return to Knockmaroon or anywhere at the back of Castleknock and motorists are very concious of wasting fuel. So Martin's Row is the choice.

In the longer term, Martin's Row should definitely become one-way, but that requires either a) another Liffey crossing, west of the West County Hotel or b) a diversion route that takes in the Park somehow, neither of which are easy or palatable solutions.

years ago i got stuck on martins row - was driving into the city late enough in the evening, and met an artic, dutch reg i think - where the driver had clearly taken a wrong turn and came to the bottom of knockmarooon and thought better of it, so was trying to reverse back along st martin's row. i rang the gardai to come out and supervise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Why so? The Zoo, Cricket pitches, Peoples Garden, Polo Grounds and Garda HQ stretch at the back of the Zoo are used as free car parks. More importantly scrap the sports pitches (fifteen acres (how many are there?), Army pitch , back of the Cricket grounds etc ) which are rarely if ever used. Upgrade the facilities (changing and toilets) and turf with netted goals for several pitches near the Ss bends carpark... and rewild all the rest.

I wouldn't worry, it's just the OPW going through the motions.

You'll have seen even today that the Taoiseach squashed any notion of congestion charges in the City until the Metro is up and running and all private vehicles have become EVs. That could be 20 to 25 years yet.

It'll be the same here, the OPW will suggest what they suggest and then the Taoiseach and the government TDs locally will squash it.

Besides, the OPW are admitting that they haven't engaged with the employers within the Park who host some 3,500 jobs. Can anyone really see the Guards tolerating having to pay for parking outside their Headquarters or on North Road? Don't make me laugh.

Its about time OPW realised this isn't their private fiefdom, it's a place owned by all the people, everywhere in the Country, to visit whenever and for however long they like, not according to their means or to the timetable of some pencil neck.

It's honestly funny watching you be wrong about so many things lol

• Advertisement

of course he can say this govt won't be bringing it in, he won't be in office long enough lol

Advertisement