Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on DPI to HDMI converter (WFH query)

Options
  • 16-06-2020 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Hi not sure if this should go into the graphics forum but will post it here and ask a kindly Mod to move it if itss not in the right home.
    display port output and my monitor has 1 display port input , normally plugged into my GPU with 2 spare HDMI ports. Ive been plugging this in and out and to save having to do this, in case I damage the gpu connection some day, I bought a DP to HMDI converter, cheap one from Wish. I plugged it in and my 1440p screen is scaled down to 1080p with a black border all around.
    Any way around this?
    Tried changing it in display settings but its limited to 1080p.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Dvi or display port?

DPI isn't a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

DPI isn't a thing.

It is a thing, just not the right thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its a display port Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Redfox25 wrote: »
    [...] I bought a DPI to HMDI converter, cheap one from Wish.

This is your problem. There are many HDMI versions, and your adapter is probably older than 1.3, which is what you need for 1440p resolution.

For example, this adapter states that max resolution supported is HD (1920x1080 @ 60Hz). On the other hand, this thing supports up to 4K resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I bought a DP to HMDI converter, cheap one from Wish.

I've had mixed success with display adapters, you should try and buy decent quality ones where possible. Saves hassle down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Cool, thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

JoyPad wrote: »
    This is your problem. There are many HDMI versions, and your adapter is probably older than 1.3, which is what you need for 1440p resolution.

Except its worse then that. For passive cables, the port has to support the standard like with Display Port dual mode(has a ++ next to it). And that has its own standard versions, so you can get a passive adaptor that can do higher resolutions but not have a port that can run it. And you tend not to see that level of detail in spec sheets.

Advertisement