Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cladding farm/field gate

Options
  • 16-06-2020 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope its Ok to post this here, its not so much a farming question, but i figured this would be the best place to get a proper answer.

So we need to put up a gate between the house and shed. The drive way is approx 3.5m wide. One of the solutions that has been mentioned to us is to install a regular farm gate and clad it with timber. My question is this, would this kind of gate support the weight of timber?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I had similar set up here Got a local lad to make me up a 3ft 6 and 9 ft gate. He made it with 2 inch box iron and 6 inch timber boards

Only need to open the small gate when walking out or in and out with the lawnmower etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Watch out for wind.. Your posts will need to be very sturdy to support a solid gate in a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

You would be better having a bit of a gap between the boards if you can, it will keep the gate a bit lighter too. A neighbour had an old gate clad in wood once, it was very heavy and difficult to open and close if it was windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭50HX

How about using 8 x 4 sheets of galv box mesh 2" or sheet it with stickboard

Both wou,d be far lighter than timber lats

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Space the cladding. A very strong pillar, RSJ in concrete would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Don’t fully cover the gate.it will render it a weapon on a windy day. Especially if there was kids around.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Similar job here two yrs back, & learned a few things.
    The wood evn tho it was treated , kept absorbing water until the gate was in danger of falling down.
    Definitely have perhaps 1/2 inches spaces & allow some wind to get through.
    Cladding works better , again leave spaces .
    In the end had to make a Service Gate also ( can hang on same pillar ) as closing side of large gate. Then rather than getting knocked about on the blustery day , just use the service gate & avoid a lump on the head or worse. :D.............Best of luck whatever road you choose. P

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope its Ok to post this here, its not so much a farming question, but i figured this would be the best place to get a proper answer.

So we need to put up a gate between the house and shed. The drive way is approx 3.5m wide. One of the solutions that has been mentioned to us is to install a regular farm gate and clad it with timber. My question is this, would this kind of gate support the weight of timber?

cheers!

I have a number of ordinary farm gates that I fitted 4 ft fencing board to.
    I left a space between each board : about the thickness of the boards.
    The gate is unlikely to be a problem with a 12 ft gate but you would need a heavy gate post.
    I have also attached fencing boards where there is a 15 ft opening but I used double gates: one 8 ft and the other 7 ft.
    I have had no trouble with any of these gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi all! Thank you so much for replying!

Our preferred option is to get a gate made up, we're looking at a panelled style gate if we go with that. I have a few emails sent out looking for quotes but we really have no idea how much something like that will cost. We're just looking for a basic job, doesn't need to be powder coated and happy with soft wood to get us started off. We will paint it at a later stage.

If we end up going with a regular field gate, we would be leaving a gap between the boards. Probably go with a 4x1 board with a 1 inch gap. I just wasn't sure if one would be strong enough for something like that. Is there any brand that we should been looking for?

We have recently moved to the house and need to secure the garden for the dogs, and also to stop the kids going around the front. So looking at all options to get something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

scarepanda wrote: »
    Hi all! Thank you so much for replying!

Our preferred option is to get a gate made up, we're looking at a panelled style gate if we go with that. I have a few emails sent out looking for quotes but we really have no idea how much something like that will cost. We're just looking for a basic job, doesn't need to be powder coated and happy with soft wood to get us started off. We will paint it at a later stage.

If we end up going with a regular field gate, we would be leaving a gap between the boards. Probably go with a 4x1 board with a 1 inch gap. I just wasn't sure if one would be strong enough for something like that. Is there any brand that we should been looking for?

We have recently moved to the house and need to secure the garden for the dogs, and also to stop the kids going around the front. So looking at all options to get something up.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any particular brands of field gates.
    Some are stronger than others. If you do decide to opt for a field gate, you could have a look at the different types in your local Co-Op or other agriculture store and then decide what would suit you best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 colmmcgettrick

Will try adding this image again

I did afterwards add beams to top and bottom,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭50HX

You could use a composite cladding & twould be a life time job.

Saw one done with cedral cladding & twas a fine job

Advertisement