Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

Very same I haven’t touched the light controls in years bar setting to auto. I think the bigger question is if such prominent light controls are needed at all. Just have the car programmed to auto lights and maybe some way to turn them on manually in a settings menu on the screen if you want to check a bulb change during day light etc (only reason I can think of for needing to manually turn on the lights).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Set auto lights to come on early and you really never need to touch them. On an overcast or dull day they'll come on even when it's still bright enough, great feature to have.

I only ever use the fog lights to test they're working. Never touch them.

I suppose the temperature controls shouldn't be much of an issue either, my only concern is the buggy software journalists have been having. I just hope the heated seats isn't a pain in the arse for me or my passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who's 3dr R has ended up over in the Garda Twitter thread...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

Bought a 141 originally Irish GTI with Manual transmission and Tartan seats, 129k kms on the ODO, what all should I be looking at as preventive maintenance on the car?
    Bought from a dealer, so getting a full service done on the car before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

If you have a warranty i'd advise keeping an eye for any coolant leaks, very common on the TSI engine. I just had my thermostat and water pump replaced under warranty, it's a hefty enough bill if you're to pay for it out of your own pocket.

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    If you have a warranty i'd advise keeping an eye for any coolant leaks, very common on the TSI engine. I just had my thermostat and water pump replaced under warranty, it's a hefty enough bill if you're to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Have 3 months warranty from the dealer.
    There is a record of coolant leak repair, 2 years back. Not sure what exactly was fixed/replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Congrats on the new purchase. If it has the Performance Pack, check to see if the diff has been serviced. Think it's supposed to be done every 3 years or 50k kms.

eljono wrote: »
    Congrats on the new purchase. If it has the Performance Pack, check to see if the diff has been serviced. Think it's supposed to be done every 3 years or 50k kms.

Nope. No performance pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Can you return it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

I see GTI now on sale on VW Germany, from €37,600... even some options and its well under what it will start here, id imagine about 9-10k dearer at 46-47k :( so depressing lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

easyvision wrote: »
    I see GTI now on sale on VW Germany, from €37,600... even some options and its well under what it will start here, id imagine about 9-10k dearer at 46-47k :( so depressing lol

I remember being sickened back in about 2004 when I somehow came across car prices in France, Nissan 350z was 27k euro new. At the same time the list here was c. 60k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Good to look at it in a few different colours

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

I remember being sickened back in about 2004 when I somehow came across car prices in France, Nissan 350z was 27k euro new. At the same time the list here was c. 60k

I get we have higher taxes etc, but it just seems crazy! youd think make it a little cheaper and more would sell and actually increase tax take! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

All 3 wheel options on the new GTI are terrible imo..I don't think I could live with any of them.

I'm very underwhelmed by it, there's more I dislike than like about it. It looks to me more like a Mk 7.75 than an all new model. I can't see many Mk7/7.5 GTI owner's being tempted.

I'm interested to see the new R, but based on a recent video of it doing testing laps at the Nurburgring it doesn't look great and the OPF seems to killed any exhaust note from it. I think I'll be hanging on to my Mk7.5 for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Max Q wrote: »
    All 3 wheel options on the new GTI are terrible imo..I don't think I could live with any of them.

I'm very underwhelmed by it, there's more I dislike than like about it. It looks to me more like a Mk 7.75 than an all new model. I can't see many Mk7/7.5 GTI owner's being tempted.

I'm interested to see the new R, but based on a recent video of it doing testing laps at the Nurburgring it doesn't look great and the OPF seems to killed any exhaust note from it. I think I'll be hanging on to my Mk7.5 for the foreseeable.

I think the 19" Adelaide wheels will look nice in the flesh. The 17" and 18" are fairly awful

Got a puncture fixed at an indie near work and they said my rear driver side shock is leaking, just under 3 years old and 38,000km on it. Reading online says they're generally classed as wear and tear and aren't covered under warranty, would it be worth pushing for a replacement?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If it’s something that’ll have to be done anyway there’s no harm in asking, worst they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Isn't there a technical bulletin or something for VW "sweating" shocks being failed in the NCT as leaking shocks but they are not leaking? I thought I saw that on here before.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

VW will always cover a failed shock absorber under warranty.

As above though, a lot of mechanics have a tendancy to classify an operational mist of oil where the piston enters the body as a leak. VW wont cover that, they say that pushing a piston into a chamber full of oil is going to leave a little oil sweat around the base, which makes sense.

If the shock body is wet with oil, making noise or there is no resistance in the shock, they will replace it.

Post a picture of it if you can. My gut though is it's sweating. Virtually all of them have a sweat, particularly when viewed on a wheel free lift or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If it’s being NCTd it’ll be 4 years old and not under warranty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

L-M wrote: »
    If it’s being NCTd it’ll be 4 years old and not under warranty

Unless it’s an AUC warranty

Cant say I've felt anything off about the car lately so probably just the shock sweating. I'll have a look in the daytime to see how it is.

I don't think the GTE is very popular but I think a performance hybrid makes sense. Majority of people's driving is just commuting or running errands, I can see the appeal of hybrid of full EV mode. The power is there when you want it without having to spend a fortune on running costs.

Curious about the Golf eHybrid though, that's 204hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

I have a 7.5 GTE myself, its a great all round car but can be a bit short on range sometimes, I rarely find it short on power but it would probably be a bit sluggish for someone coming from a GTI. Nothing a remap can’t sort but its still quite a heavy car. The few extra kilometres and extra power that the mk8 offers should make it much more appealing to buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

L-M wrote: »
    Is the NOX not high on it being a 141?

Nox charge not bad only around €360 I think.

Anybody Selling Genuine Pretoria wheels off of their GTI/R?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've seen a few of the MK8 Golf on the road and it doesn't appeal to me. To be honest, it looks kinda "ordinary" and doesn't look as sharp as the MK7, especially the front.

The back does look like a VW alright, the front just looks like any other car.

I've seen two around my area when I'm out walking, doesn't look too bad. Wheels look a bit cheap, too chunky, like something off a mid spec Octavia but the car itself isn't terrible in the flesh. The DRL on the IQ headlights looks nicer though, standard one is just a flat line. I don't think the LED bar on the front is available yet.

After seeing reviews of the GTI/GTE that big grill has grown on me, I wasn't fond of it at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

Not two keen on the mk8 so I ordered a a3 s line instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

It hasn't really been advertised much but the Golf eHybrid is actually available to order here despite it not being sold in the UK. It's pretty good value too, same price as a Style 2.0tdi DSG. Should get roughly 60km on WLTP by my guess.

uYg5irh.png

• Advertisement

Same price and power as a Polo GTI. €3k more than the 1.5 TSI 150hp mild hybrid Style. I thought they were doing away with the PHEV grant soon? I wonder how much the Leon eHybrid will be. Both should be a decent option for affordable performance.

Advertisement