Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SimpleDimple

another question folks! is there much difference between the 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, and 1.5 petrol engines? Any ones worth avoiding or are they all pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭User1998

Really depends on what you want from the car. 1.5 is the most powerful and most refined but generally the most expensive. 1.5 engine was only released a few years ago and took over from the 1.4

1.0 would be the least powerful and least refined but its still decent for a 1 litre. I’d imagine it would be quite sluggish with a full car tho

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Cheers! I was thinking that I’m coming from a 2L turbo diesel so the 1.0/1.2 might feel a bit underpowered. I’ll get out and drive a few anyway and see how they compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've driven with 4 adults in the 1.0 many times no issues, even driving across Ireland with a full car of people and luggage going to a wedding. No hassle on the motorways or overtaking. Very competent daily driver. It won't leave you stuck trying to get to to speed on a slip road or anything. You also don't have to work to get power which is nice.

It depends on what you're used to. It's a bit quicker than the 1.6 TDI for example and if you're used to driving smaller cars it will be quicker than pretty much all of them. However if you're used to driving stuff with a bit more power I'd say go with the 1.4/1.5 150hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

I think the fact we've gotten to the point where an Audi A3 is the same or cheaper than a Golf is a turning point! VW prices have just gone up again ive seen, pushing an R to over 71k starting price, and S3 is under 63. A base Golf now over 31 while a base A3 just over 32. GTI has gone from just over 46k last year to now over 51k... for a manual also, add 4k plus for auto. How much hiding of increases can you do on PCP or is it that they know people will just pay 6-700 a month for something premium, even with a decent deposit. Remember 5-6 years ago you could get an R for 46-47..... how do you jump up 40% in a few years nearly? Pushses me off VW, an Audi seems better value

• Advertisement

45k will get you into a well specced ID.3/Cupra Born now, that's how much a Mk7.5 GTI PP DSG was just before the Mk8 came out. Now they're 55k.

A decent spec 130hp Golf/Focus/308 are 40k, you'd have gotten a 300hp Leon Cupra for that 3-4 years ago.

I know people used to say the likes of the R were much cheaper 6-7 years ago and stuff has gone up but the switch to the Mk8 and all the new VRT and shite really made prices go mental.

Someone reversed into me yesterday, is this ok to just go to a body shop or is there a risk of any underlying damage that should be checked? It was low speed on the driver side corner. Looks like the bumper just needs to be clipped back in and repaired. Headlight isn't damaged, radar shouldn't be effected as it's in the badge. I know with bumpers it can look fine on the surface and there could be underlying damage but in this case it's just the corner and was low speed, not head on or anything so likely not the case? Maybe a wheel alignment if it got knocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭User1998

Straight to the bodyshop. They’ll be able to tell if there is underlying damage but thats highly unlikely.

So I ended up buying the grey GTD that was in Joe Duffys after being offered a lot more than I was ever expecting as a trade in. I sent an email with trade in valuation Sunday’s and drive home Tuesday. Few things I’m not a huge fan on the new golf including the controls on screen rather than buttons, lack of sunglasses holder, position of vents is too low I think etc. over all happy with the car and it feels quite a bit smoother to drive than the 2017. The suspension set up seems to absorb potholes a lot better

Duno why they load sideways but anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

What did you trade in?

• Advertisement

2017 GTD

That colour looks well in the flesh, wheels are lovely too. Enjoy!

I'm finally seeing a handful of Mk8 GTIs and even an R recently after seeing next to none since they came out. Seems like people just aren't biting the bullet on them as new, which is a surprise as second hand prices aren't much better.

VW's 222 prices are eye watering. €72,000 for an R now. If I'm not mistaken the GTI price is even closer to the Clubsport now, not a hard upgrade to make there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The problem with new stock is worse than ever, so there aren’t that many new ones being sold. If you wanted to order one today the dealers would either quote you a mad lead time or tell you he can’t price one for you at all. Especially if you’ve a trade in.

this also explains the high asking prices of lightly used ones and the strong trade in offers people like easyvision are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

For some reason my 08 mk5 gti is listed as a Pirelli when I go to insure it.

Did they colour match the interior trim ?

The interior stitching / trim was yellow on them all afaik, regardless of exterior colour. There were only ever 4 exterior colours available afaik - yellow, black, silver and blue graphite.

So this also broke the low tone horn now it sounds like a crappy French car and the headlight was knocked out of alignment. Feck sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭TheBetsy

What did they offer if you don't mind me asking? Have the same car myself

24k 102km on clock. DSG.

Re note on new car....no audio in the car at all this morning, a quick reset of infotainment system didn't do anything.... have emailed garage! Googled seems to be a very common problem, don't know if they need a software update or what. Supposedly turning off and locking car for min 5 min can reset it, we shall see later as in work! Also some details I have noticed but possibly Im doing something wrong with key... doesnt seem to lock the car, only tapping the handle seems to lock the car, tried 4/5 times pressing lock. Holding down open key doesnt open all 4 windows like before.. Storage is much reduced in the car. No under seat trays, no small cubby beside steering wheel, the centre console is about half the size what it is on the MK7. No storage then really under radio, its all open. Drives well though and I love the exterior. I think the cost cutting inside doesnt match the price tag

The ID.3 has a lot of electrical issues and warning lights pop up but fortunately a lot of them go away after the car is turned off for a few minutes. Strange how such a large company can get it so wrong considering I've had pretty much no issues with software on the Mk7.5 aside from the reversing camera not showing up 2-3 times in just under 5 years.

I had some minor occasional software niggles for a while early on but the latest software/firmware updates seem to have completely eliminated them. The latest software version is 1896. You can check what version you're on via the Infotainment system settings.

Up until recently, if you wanted the system updated you had to leave it with the dealers for a day. Now its done OTA, so no need for dealer visits. If your car isn't on 1896 and the system isn't prompting you to install new updates, then you might need to get onto the dealers for them to do it.

• Advertisement

I finally got the car connected to wifi after I had to go into the model and change security settings, no idea what I changed it to but anyway! I had a notification for software update on screen, hit delete all by mistake and seems theres no way to get it back, go back in again and says no update...... am I doing something wrong? Also downloaded we connect and connected with car, only option seems to be auxiliary ventilation, no settings for temp or heated seats etc which would be the only things it would really be handy for tbh! I dont even see in settings anywhere to bring up check for software updates etc. I think VW could do with someone from apple on how to make things user friendly

There's a few things you need to do for this system to work and it sounds like you've at least 1-2 done already:

• sign into the system with your WeConnect VW ID
    • Set your privacy settings to "Share my position". You'll know this has worked if you see a white "globe" icon on the top right of the screen. This indicates that you've a stable connection to VW servers (through the built-in e-Sim in the car) and you'll get updates etc when available. You don't need to be connecting to any other Wifi.
    • To check for updates manually, go into Settings -> System Information and there should be an option to check for software updates there. Check the current version, it'll be shown on screen and latest is version 1896.
    • The WeConnect app isn't that useful tbh. Yeah you can't do heated seats, but the only cars that you can do that on afaik are EV's. The auxiliary ventilation just turns on the blowers but its not full air-con. For air-con or heated seats to work without killing the battery, you'd need the engine running.

Cheers, Ill try that, ye its a crap app tbh, it crashes randomly or doesn't connect etc. Makes sense so, guy in work has the plug in Skoda octavia and can do the heated seats and set temp etc!

yeah, if its a plug in hybrid it probably works too. I don't think its possible with any ICE car. I had a similar feature on my previous car (BMW 420d) and the only thing you could do was the "auxiliary ventilation". The BMW app was generally a bit better though.

Booked in wed to check out the sound issue. software is up to date i found!

To open/close the windows with the key you need to enable it in the vehicle settings. Its called "convenience opening" and you can set it for drivers window or all 4 windows. Just tried it myself, it works.

Yeah I got it to work , cheers :) No other issue found so far, dropped car in and sound been working since

Sound went again bout 2 weeks ago at this stage maybe week and a half, dealer said they'd ring me.... nothing so far, again came back after i stopped car and turned off engine for 5 min... been working since. I don't get it!! Doesn't put much confidence in a dealer when buying a 50k car if they can't ring you back when there's an issue, probably wouldn't be rushing back

If it happens again try resetting the system. Press and hold the power button until it reboots and you get the "GTD" logo on screen again.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads, not driving the Golf anymore but still back with a boring standard Golf query...

Golf in for the 5th service today and the rear pads and discs are at an advisory. Pads were recommended last year even though front ones haven't been changed yet at 60k. Apparently the rear are thinner than the front when new so the mechanic thought they were due to be replaced last year, guessing it's the same again today. Even if they're thinner I'd be very surprised if they were to be replaced first. Also saying discs are scorn but can't see a thing in that health check video due to the quality.

As for the discs, seems a bit odd to need to change rear discs when still on the first set of pads, especially when the front are all good?

Advertisement