Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The market has really softened in the past six months. Not good if you are selling but the prices people have been asking for all sorts the past year or so were absolutely ridiculous.

I changed car a few months ago and am in the market for another car now (don’t ask!) and there are a load of cars that I was looking at late last year that have had the prices cut and still not sold. I actually think it’s a good thing as sellers will have to accept that there is depreciation as the market really needs it!

That 540i in the dealers has been there since October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Problem is high trade in values are helping to bridge the gap if you want to trade in for a new car, New car prices have risen at a ridiculous rate lately and they won't be coming back down to lower trade in values aren't good for anyone who likes to buy new and trade in on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was going to post the exact same ^^^

Until new car prices drop back a bit, the used car prices will still be over inflated to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I see the same higher priced cars on Carzone/ DoneDeal for a long time theses days . The market has hugely cooled and I assume higher day to day cost of living as well as interest rate increases have contributed to that.

I think when it comes to performance golfs though, VW have basically priced them too high to begin with moving them far away in price from the original market and what a performance golf was supposed to be.

This in turn means that at 2/3 years old they’re still a very expensive car for the twenty or thirty something car enthusiast who traditionally was attracted to one to buy and run.

This age cohort are probably more interested in the latest Tesla anyway….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Completely agree. Low cost finance seems to be gone for the most part. VW Bank looks like really poor value these days (6-7% PCP is not an attractive option) and I'd imagine the banks are tighter on lending rules too, ruling out a lot of the younger lads.

And 100k Golfs.... they've totally lost the run of themselves.

And yeah, EV's are the cool accessory now... but they're mad money too imo. A base spec ID3 is 47k. For your near 50 grand you get a car that feels like a VW Caddy inside.

Everything is expensive these days really when it comes to cars. We've never been a cheap country to get into nice metal but it's gotten a lot worse over the past few years.

I've been toying with the idea of a 330e touring for the past year but they're mid 60s now for a desirable spec AND 7.9% APR. Surely something has to give eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car prices and interest rates just keep on climbing at a frequency and higher rate than the average buyer's wage, it's just not sustainable. It's not all down to inflation or the global economy though, there is a portion of greed at a corporate level, Government policy on VRT and EU dogma on emissions in the mix too. On the flip side Elon put a dent in used Tesla resale values with recent price cuts on new ones so the cards are always stacked against the car owner.

Tesla Model 3 performance is only €53k now though

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I’ve had my 2018 GTI for nearly 2 years now and getting the itch to change. I’ve been looking at newer GTI’s, 330e, Arteons and all sorts really. But, my god there’s no value in changing now for me, I know it’s come back a bit but the money being asked for cars now is still insane.

I looked at going electric too but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I hate stopping for petrol on a long journey so the idea of having to stop for an hour to charge isn’t for me. I did drive a I4 recently and it was nice to be fair.

I think I’ll have to keep my car even though I’m doing high enough mileage (just ticked over 90k km) as to change to anything else I’d like would cost about 15k and I can buy a lot of petrol for that. I’ve one year left on my PCP and I bought the extended warranty when I bought the car in 2021 so that’s ok.

It’s a pity because I’d love to get a mk 8 GTI but I just can’t make sense of nearly 50k for a second hand Golf. I bought a new GTD in 2016 for €40k and iirc the GTI new was under €40k then. I guess we’ll all be forced to change soon enough by the government taxing these types of cars into oblivion. I was listening to the Driving Forces podcast today and I think they said there were no new Golf R’s sold this year in Ireland.

Link to podcast https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/driving-forces-motoring-podcast/id1675852202?i=1000611753051

• Advertisement

In the cold light of day it really doesn't make sense to change at the moment. Doesn't seem to be putting a damper on car sales though, Up 16.5% through the first 3 months. The top selling cars are Sportage, Tucson, Yaris, C-HR, Corolla, I guess at that end of the market things are still "relatively" affordable.

I managed to get a very good price for my 2021 330e touring this year with 50k km on it. The main reason for this was that the equivalent car is now about 13k more expensive than when I bought it! The dealer had it for sale for 3k less than what I paid in 2021.

The car price inflation of the last couple of years coupled with the increases interest rates has been mad.

I also reckon there will be no haggling for deals again as lots of manufacturers including VW and BMW are going to the agency model where the dealer gets a set price for facilitating the sale of a car from the manufacturer to the customer. There will be lower volumes of sales with higher margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What did you trade it in for carsfan? You probably posted about it elsewhere but I can’t remember!

Going ev and collecting a BMW i4 m50 next week. I sold my car to the dealer earlier in the year though.

I’m not convinced by electric but willing to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Drove one them a few weeks ago, amazing acceleration and a very nice car to be in. Happy motoring, I hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Got a phone call on Saturday from Joe Duffy asking if I still had my R and if I was looking to upgrade. No interest in it at the moment anyway, but they could be on the look out for other cars or potentially someone looking for a 3dr one. Never received a call like it before, especially strange considering the car was only ever in with them for warranty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Trying to flog a Mk8 R maybe?

Quite common for dealers to make cold calls to see if they get a bite. Either they have someone looking for a car like yours or they have a Mk8 R they need to shift. As discussed earlier prices and demand for performance cars seems to have peaked or softened somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Said I'd ask ye here for a bit of advice. My 290 bhp Cupra Leon PCP is up this summer. Hard to find anything new like it though and around the same price point. It was a demo from McCoys at the time so I must have got a good deal on it. Anything new like another Cupra or GTI is double what I'm paying at the moment. Have the prices of cars gone up that much in 3 years? I could get something with less power but I'd find it very hard to do that. Has anyone seen anything nice around at the moment that might be going second hand?

Prices have risen at a ridiculous rate. I got a petrol VRS estate in 2018 for ~36k with a few extras and 0% finance. The same car now is 53k+ with 5.9% APR......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Personally I'd hold onto the Leon, maybe throw a tune and a few mods on it to give it a freshen up. I had my heart set on a Mk8 GTI after passing on several Leon Cupras but once prices went over €50-55k I was priced out and settled with a Born. I don't think there's anything secondhand worth replacing the Leon with unless you want a BMW 128ti.

The hybrid GTE/Leon aren't much cheaper and there's not much in the way of hot hatch EVs as everything is a crossover. The Cupra Tavascan is their version of the ID.4 which will apparently have a ~290hp model up from the current 204hp, this might be in the upcoming ID.3 GTX but again you're likely looking at €60k and an EV isn't for everyone just yet.

In my experience, busy sales people don't make cold calls. It is when they are slack they start going through their database of potential customers.

The golf R is not in demand new at all anymore. It is simply too expensive. Nobby who comes on here and Bob Flavin have a podcast and this week they actually discuss the fact that there has been no new Golf R sold in Ireland this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That's what I thought bit the chap seemed more interested in me taking one of the 191 Rs they have so at a guess I'd assume they're trying to shift them now. Not much of an upgrade on my 181, and, while I've made some questionable decisions in the past, not something I'd be looking to do. I like my 3dr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I've thought about changing my 2015 R which I have for 4 years this year a few times but even to come up to 7.5 18/19 model I'd probably be talking the guts of €20k..simply not worth it.

It's almost fully paid for so I'm keeping it long term. I've already a few nice mods done to it and I've ordered a pretty neat suspension upgrade to refresh everything underneath, it still drives really well but I think it'll be like a new car after this planned work.

Post edited by hooch-85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ya thanks lads I'll hang on to it for the moment I'd say. No point when there's nothing like it out there at the same price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Having the exact same thoughts on my 2016 GTI. It's well paid off and I'd love to go up a couple of years, but the cost to change really doesn't feel worth it. I reckon I'm just going to to hold on to it. It's been a great car and while a 7.5 or 8 would be an upgrade, it doesn't feel like it'd be a worthwhile one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

I think Volkswagen are really pricing gouging (blaming shortage of available car stock due to componanent shortages)

I bought I brand new GTD in 2015 for under €40k (delivery charge of the price list then was €750)

I updated to MK8 in 2021 (bought a ex demo)

Current delivery charge is €1,705 on a new one (same spec GTD as current one is now €59,555!!!)

Thinking of changing next year (may go for GTI as not doing as much mileage) but may look at other options now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Or you could pay €81k for this 231 gti club sport with 1,000km (all of them gently driven I’m sure!).

https://www.carzone.ie/search/202304246609303/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

How much would have that been new? Surely not much more. I'm guessing maybe it was a demo car?

Also, the colour is fairly 🤢

• Advertisement

Advertisement