Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Probably lazy use of words on my behalf. Let’s just say I don’t like them at all then.

Others will love them and that’s ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

….

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

I have never owned a Golf, but the MK7/7.5 is definitely not cheap or crap.

A well built car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That's one huge screen they're putting in the centre console!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Bloody hell, the 'tablet for a centre console's is such an awful fad.

Seems so lazy compare to previously well integrated diaplays

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭TheBetsy

Hi Kagawa,

What colour is your GTI? I am currently looking to offload my GTD at the moment and interested in switching to a GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm not a fan of the tablet like displays, I can understand due to the size that they can't be fully integrated but at least have the bottom flush in the dash in some way. It doesn't help it sticks out away from the dash either. The screen in my Born is 'floating' off the dash and isn't as bad in person but doesn't look great from the passenger side.

I'd rather have one sticking out the top than taking up the whole dash vertically like the Tesla and Mach-E. Then you're down a slippery slope of having to use the screen to controls the air vent direction and open the glove box...

Post edited by DaveyDave on

The large screen does look a little out of place but it could be sized down for production.

They could also integrate the glove box opening to a button or hot key on the MFSW like Tesla, always an option if they remove the physical lever on the glove box.

The air vent direction is a tricky one. On the Tesla, set to auto and never touch the climate controls again.

Options are there, not for everyone of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think it might just be a wide angle photo making it stretch - in the exterior pic of the front it doesn’t appear to be nearly as big.

presumably it’s the same screen that’s in the new Passat

Post edited by sk8board on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 MartyMcFly1989

Horrendous looking screen, hate those knock off ipad screens, just cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

It's white, here's a picture from when I got a ceramic coating applied last year,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Throw up a few more pics. You’ll sell that no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Thanks Joe, it’s a great car, best I’ve ever had really, more pictures from the time the ceramic coating was done, I need to wash it this weekend for more current pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,357 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Doesn't come across as a serious seller of the car. A "hoot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just read through it. Don't see anything wrong. He is being honest even down to the sensitive TPMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭sk8board

in 2015 I priced that spec R to €52k, and ended up going with a ‘sensible’ well spec’ed 4series mSport for a grand more. The 4series is probably €18k now and this is €26k, more than covering the fuel differential over the past 8 years 😀 🤦‍♂️.

"Normally I keep it in "ECO" mode, and it still beats most cars off the line."

Yeah, so does my old 1 litre Golf. It's amazing how slow people are in a manual compared to an automatic haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not everyone races off from a green light. There was a lad on here one time many years ago telling us how he beats everyone off the line in his diesel. I don't think he realised he was the only one racing everyone else was just driving.

Oh I know, just pointing out it's nothing to do with an R. You're generally quicker moving off in an auto.

I don't make a habit of moving off at speed, too many times someone behind me thinks it's a race only to be disappointed when I sit at the speed limit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

What is the feckin story with the bulbs on the mk7 !

The passenger side Dom went at weekend. No problem I thought as I have a spare ……..too tight to remove bulb holder from the top .

googled how to do it and it involves pretty much taking the car apart ffs

Not sure what to do now .

Still haven’t got around to having the central locking checked either but it’s gone for sure on the driver door. Been using the key for last month

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TouchingVirus85

googled how to do it and it involves pretty much taking the car apart ffs

I watched a YouTube video recently. A mobile mechanic in UK. He changed the bulbs on a Volvo. All you do is pull two flat rods out on each headlight and the headlight slides out. The guy even commented every car manufacturer should do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

The piece of metal that slides out is also a wrench for the one bolt you have to loosen

Clever 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is it really going to be a case of having it to book it into a garage for bulb change? Id be mortified :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheGreatUnkown

Seen a few reviews of the Mk8 GTD, but very hard to find any owner reviews of this car. Can any Mk8 owners tell me how they are finding GTD ownership?

I'm seeing they are mad prices and equal in price to a BMW 320D of the same year which I find mental.

I'd be interested to know what it is like to live with on a daily basis and also the running costs as well please

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

MK8 GTDs are fairly rare here now, far cry from 10 years ago. I've only ever seen a handful on the road. I own a MK8 GTE and have regularly driven the MK8 GTI and R so I'd doubt the GTD is much different for day-day driving.

As a daily driver, you'll be fine. It's very easy to get on with. Reviews tend to spend most of their time giving out about the infotainment and software. While there were absolutely problems in the early production models, there's a night and day difference now. Everything is fast and reliable. The ergonomics of the touch controls is a matter of personal preference, I don't mind them but I can see why they're annoying. The interior is definitely cheaper feeling than the MK7 IMO.

I haven't driven a model yet without the DCC so I'd imagine the ride suffers quite a bit depending on the road surface. But with it I find it very smooth. The DSG is very slick for the most part, I do sometimes find it a little grabby in low speed manoeuvres but nothing worth writing home about. The manual box is a beaut but unfortunately unavailable in the GTD.

As for fuel economy, I don't have a heavy foot but I've found them to be reasonable. I'd expect an average of 5.5-7.0l/100km, depends on the your commute and usual road mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Unless you were doing huge mileage there's no value in the GTD. Go for the GTi, it'll hold its value better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

I have a 2021 MK8 GTD and have 45,000 kms on now (I previously had a MK 7 GTD) and am really happy with it.

Its my first experinece of the DSG gearbox and really like it, find its perfomance better than the MK7 and it appears to be more economical (regularly getting 50Mpg + on motorway). It is a great mileage cruncher and on twisty country roads really enjoyable to drive.

The digital screen takes a while to get used to but works perfectly. I miss some of the storage spaces the Mk7 had internally but overall very pleased with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭easyvision

So Ive a 2022 GTD, think my last VW and Ive had 5 Golfs. The build quality just isnt there anymore IMO. My GTD has been in and out of the garage a few times with some serious issues and the service received from Joe Duffys and VW customer care was next to zero! Completely tarnished my brand perception and i was a big VW brand boy. To bering with I only noticed small things in the MK8 that annoyed me before the bigger issues started. The lack of a sunglasses holder int eh roof and under seat storage and storage cubby beside steering wheel annoyed me. Centre console is a lot smaller than the MK7. The drinks holder is a weird shape and flimsy also lack of a cover. The lack of a "springed" bonnet replaced by a cheap manual hinge. The digital display can be slow to respond, you've to give it a min or 2 to wake up upon starting the engine. The lack of illumination for the temp controls at night etc. In general the interior quality does not match the price point of the car.

Anyway besides all that Ive had to bring the car back to the garage a few times to get the steering wheel replaced, power steering failed, sound on radio fails the odd time still but garage say its fine.... The warning lights can light up sometimes for no reason and pop off then a minute later etc. I have the car thinking Im undertaking a car whilst overtaking with cruise control and it slams the brakes on etc, very annoying. Garage assures me the car is fine and this is normal and doesn't recognise if the car is driving on the left or right when clearly it thinks im in the undertaking lane driving on the right....

Overall my confidence in VW and complete lack of caring from thee garage and customer care (they said they were assured repairs were carried out and nothing more they can do). Other than "offering" me another car at a discount (which is the same price as I got quoted in Colm Quinn BMW) there is nothing more they could do.

Never again would I buy a VW product, not that they care !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheGreatUnkown

That's interesting, thanks for the replies.

I do think the GTD is very overpriced and a BMW 320D M Sport is better value as you get a much better interior.

Disappointing to hear of the issues from VW and judging by their pricing, I would agree they don't seem to care if people buy the car or not.

With the Mk8.5 due out next year, it will be interesting to see if they fix these quality issues. I wonder if the price will go up again as well.

Advertisement