Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Rare enough car back in 2014, that was pre discount that made the R a more appealing prospect. Seems mad to be dodging a relatively low tax bill by changing owners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

OSI wrote: »
    Why does the tax disc says the car is green? :confused:

Tax office mess up? There's a lot of cars not properly registered, nearly all SEAT Leon Cupras (not the ST ones) seem to be down as Estates on the book when they are hatchback models.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Tax office mess up? There's a lot of cars not properly registered, nearly all SEAT Leon Cupras (not the ST ones) seem to be down as Estates on the book when they are hatchback models.
    No all seat Leon’s are down as estates on the log book my hatchback fr is down as an estate on the log book and thus insured as an estate.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No all seat Leon’s are down as estates on the log book my hatchback fr is down as an estate on the log book and thus insured as an estate.

But why if they are a hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

shanec1928 wrote: »

Yeah, my Cupra is down as an estate on the logbook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Yeah, my Cupra is down as an estate on the logbook

My R is down as an estate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mental money for that '14 R imo. Where's the dreamers thread...

If he's doing that to save tax, what other genius ideas has he tried.... perhaps driving on 2 wheels every 2nd day to save tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

But why if they are a hatchback?

Not a notion. You would think they would have long sorted it.

Every Golf I've owned has been down as an Estate in the logbook if I recall right.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Currently £5,000 off the list price on stock Golf 7.5 in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

My R was down as a green estate as well. Went to tax office and had it changed to reflect reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Am I missing something about changing owners to avoid tax on it? Do you mean road tax? If so, would the new owner not just have to pay this anyway?

Yes but they wouldn't have to pay any arrears which have accrued.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

Been a lurker of this thread for a while now and finally taking the plunge to get into an R. I've drove a friends one a couple of times, DSG car and I really loved it. I test drove the white 3 dr one for sale in Bill Griffin at the moment and didn't find the manual as impressive so I think my mind has been made up on a DSG.

I have a budget of about 25k and not sure if I am going to get much at that price. I would preferably like at least a 2015 car. I seen a very nice one for ale about a month ago on autostadt maketplace but wasn't in a position to buy at that time but it seemed reasonably priced. I don't mind waiting a while for the right car to come up. I'm also happy enough to buy privately.

What are the must haves with these in terms of options? And any colour that is less desirable? Would prefer to try get a car with some desirable options that will be easier to sell on in future. Also don't think I'd like a UK car with 18'' Cadiz, they really don't look the best.

Also important maintenance items that should have been completed at this stage?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

If you're happy enough to buy privately, there's a lovely R for sale at the moment.

The instagram account is "irishgolfrs6", can't remember how much he's looking for but it's a gorgeous example.

Edit - Ah, his is manual, so not what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

theintern wrote: »
    If you're happy enough to buy privately, there's a lovely R for sale at the moment.

The instagram account is "irishgolfrs6", can't remember how much he's looking for but it's a gorgeous example.

Great looking car but a bit over budget and also manual. Cheers though for the suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If you can stretch it, you wont find a better golf R in Ireland

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-revo-stage-2-golf-r/25556186

(A boardsie too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Muppet Man wrote: »
    If you can stretch it, you wont find a better golf R in Ireland

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-revo-stage-2-golf-r/25556186

(A boardsie too).

And another boardsie bought it new :D, it is without doubt one of the best R’s for sale.

For me the must have options are Pretoria wheels and the pro nav system especially if you buy an early 2015 car. These come with mib 1 as standard and the screen is very small and to be honest looks very dated now.
    They upgraded to mib2 for the MY16 cars so a late 15 reg should have a bigger screen and these were a big improvement.

Colour wise the UK lease spec cars were mostly white and red as these were the free colours. Personally I think they look best in a metallic colour like the Lapiz blue or Limestone Grey. Black is very nice too.

Do you have a preference for 3 or 5 door?

In saying all that Shane's car is definitely one of the best for sale, properly specced by the original owner. VRT on these is still high you're looking at around 7 grand for 2015 model so buying here is probably your best option.

Best of luck with the search, mine is easily the best car I've ever owned and I have no intention of selling it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I went to test drive a Mk7 Clubsport a few months back in Cork and VW were given me a good, fair trade in value at the time for my Fiesta ST.

Thing is I left it go on to long and it was snapped up within a few weeks of going on sale.

I'm tempted in the new year to go after another Clubsport but finding one here is difficult enough, think I've seen only 2 others for sale and one had pretty high mileage, circa 100k miles, the one I drove had about 7k. Theres a lot of choice in the UK.

Now, after being in a mates Mk7.5 GTi the digital dash really sets the car off, IMO so I dont know would I prefer a Mk7.5 performance or a Clubsport.

What must haves would you say either car should have? The one i test drove had everything but DSG and DCC, AFAIK and TBH, I'd probably prefer a manual if I was being pushed.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I went to test drive a Mk7 Clubsport a few months back in Cork and VW were given me a good, fair trade in value at the time for my Fiesta ST.

Thing is I left it go on to long and it was snapped up within a few weeks of going on sale.

I'm tempted in the new year to go after another Clubsport but finding one here is difficult enough, think I've seen only 2 others for sale and one had pretty high mileage, circa 100k miles, the one I drove had about 7k. Theres a lot of choice in the UK.

Now, after being in a mates Mk7.5 GTi the digital dash really sets the car off, IMO so I dont know would I prefer a Mk7.5 performance or a Clubsport.

What must haves would you say either car should have? The one i test drove had everything but DSG and DCC, AFAIK and TBH, I'd probably prefer a manual if I was being pushed.

The digital dash can be retrofitted. I've seen a few lads get it done. I don't think it is as costly as you might imagine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Digital dashes pop up on eBay quite a lot from about £300. The only thing to remember with one is it will store the mileage from the donor car. You can get them altered but many will only alter mileage up these days so it's something to be aware of.

GavRedKing wrote: »

The cars are very well equipped as standard. On a regular GTI PP, I'd say the only must-have is the 19" wheel upgrade as the standard ones are so ugly.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for good Irish cars.

Having looked in the UK at Clubsports and some PP Mk7.5's the prices are pretty much what we're paying here once everything is considered.

As it's come up there, does anyone have a link to a place that will retro fit the digital dash and large infotainment screen?

Killinator wrote: »
    As it's come up there, does anyone have a link to a place that will retro fit the digital dash and large infotainment screen?

This crowd seem to do a lot of them on the UK R owners group. There's a guy based in Meath who can do them as well, i know a guy who recently updated his MIB1 screen to the Discover Pro Nav.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastVAGAdaptions/

This crowd seem to do a lot of them on the UK R owners group. There's a guy based in Meath who can do them as well, i know a guy who recently updated his MIB1 screen to the Discover Pro Nav.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastVAGAdaptions/

Thanks H.
    Considering it as a future upgrade

Aaahh I see now.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthEastVAGAdaptions/photos/a.616879242454112/799243940884307/
    Got a few MK7 / MK7.5 Virtual Cockpits available ready to fit. Mileage correction included in price. £750 fitted. Brand new trim included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The physical removal part is very straightforward as IV done it before on a mk7...no idea on the coding end though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

There's a guy on the autostadt group on FB who's done some incredible retrofirts to his MK7. Digital dash, new screen and I think even Dynaudio.

There doesn't seem to be any places in Ireland like that one in the UK though. You'd probably have to work it out yourself or find a good auto electrics guy and have him work it out.

Or drive over to the UK and make a weekend out of it :D

Advertisement