Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

You get what you pay for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When's delivery starting for the GTI?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Here is the pdf with the all the options. The 19" Estoril alloys look to be the nicest option. They look to be the same as the ones on the Tiguan and Arteon R.
    When's delivery starting for the GTI?

That PDF says start of production is week 44 2020, so 26th October.

I'd say we'll start seeing them early 2021 going by the date, assuming theres no major COVID lock downs across Europe which could cause havoc for lead times.

We could see a price hike by January then, surprised the dsg is in a lower tax band I would have thought the manual was easier on fuel.

I'd say if you ordered one in the coming weeks at a particular price point, they would surely honour that price at delivery, no?

The DSG in the GTi has always been in the lower tax band I'm pretty sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Dsg has a 7th gear which I'm guessing is longer so prob helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd say if you ordered one in the coming weeks at a particular price point, they would surely honour that price at delivery, no?

No. It’s happened to me at least twice in the past. Price increase and I had to absorb it. But it can go the other way too. E.g. on one occasion I benefited from a spec improvement.

VW usually revise prices around mid year (May/June).

Yea my tax is €390 on the 7.5 manual, it's jumping up a band on the mk8.

Do order books open the same time as production starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sounds like you are planning to order one?! :)

Fairly sure the DSG has been the cheaper one to tax for quite a while - since the new WLTP rules came in anyway, which is ~3 years now. Certainly on the R, the manual went up to €750 a few years ago while the DSG stayed in the lower bracket.

• Advertisement

I thought you had an ID3 on the way? ;)

Sounds like you are planning to order one?! :)

I dont have a horse in the race, but I prefer the looks of the Mk 7/7.5 over the new Mk8. :o

Although in saying that, I've always preferred the looks of the Mk7/7.5 GTi over the R as despite having quad exhausts, I always felt the R was pretty subdued in its styling, the new Mk8 R, IMO, looks a bit better than the GTi, going off the supposed leaked pictures.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont have a horse in the race, but I prefer the looks of the Mk 7/7.5 over the new Mk8. :o

People say that about every new generation Golf tbh and before too long, the new one is the one everyone wants...

The standard equipment and tech in the new one is mightily impressive imo. There's really no need, barring wheels, to dip into the options. There's a few fresh 191-201 7.5's on carzone all up around the 40-42k mark and to me they seem kinda bad value for money now.

In 2007 I paid extra for an armrest in a MK5.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    People say that about every new generation Golf tbh and before too long, the new one is the one everyone wants...

The standard equipment and tech in the new one is mightily impressive imo. There's really no need, barring wheels, to dip into the options. There's a few fresh 191-201 7.5's on carzone all up around the 40-42k mark and to me they seem kinda bad value for money now.

Oh I agree, give it a year or two and once the Mk8 GTi's and R's are more common place they'll grow on people more.

I agree on the Mk7/7.5 pricing too, some of the late ones are still holding very strong value which will eventually go down but historically, the GTi being a hot hatch bench mark, re-sale values are always pretty high and the markets for buyers is so diverse you'll shift a good spec'd one.

I hopefully see myself in a Mk7.5 in the new year anyway, ideally a PP but I'd love a Clubsport or TCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In terms of extras, if I was considering one, the no-brainers for me would be Metallic Paint (€820), 19" wheels (€865/€974), Winter Package (€327), and Rear View Camera (€337).

In terms of extras, if I was considering one, the no-brainers for me would be Metallic Paint (€820), 19" wheels (€865/€974), Winter Package (€327), and Rear View Camera (€337).

I'd expect they'll bundle the latter 2 in a "tech pack" that most cars will end up having.

I thought you had an ID3 on the way? ;)

I've a refundable deposit down, tbh what I'm seeing in the first movers clubs with glitches, chaps getting towed and the possibility of a 40% drop in winter range really getting second thoughts...don't think they'd have any problem shifting the one i've booked.... watched Jonny Smith's review again and it's starting to swing me...at least with the GTI you know what your getting, don't think I've the patience to be a beta tester and not get paid...

There's no price on it but is the adaptive suspension worth a look..

There's no price on it but is the adaptive suspension worth a look..

its usually around €1100-€1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I've a refundable deposit down, tbh what I'm seeing in the first movers clubs with glitches, chaps getting towed and the possibility of a 40% drop in winter range really getting second thoughts...don't think they'd have any problem shifting the one i've booked.... watched Jonny Smith's review again and it's starting to swing me...at least with the GTI you know what your getting, don't think I've the patience to be a beta tester and not get paid...

I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue with you moving that deposit onto a GTi, especially if you were to order one for early 2021 delivery. I've no notion of changing my MK7 but if I were the only thing out there that would really interest me is a MK8.

Also Drunkmonkey, if you wanted a manual i wouldn't let the extra tax difference put you off, the extra cost of the DSG box offsets nearly 10 years of the tax differential

• Advertisement

Hard to know what to do Joe...I'll kick myself if I make the wrong decision, GTI has been a very easy car to live with.

Hard to know what to do Joe...I'll kick myself if I make the wrong decision, GTI has been a very easy car to live with.

I was impressed with the EV myself as you know, but I'm glad I decided to hold off for the moment. I just wasn't sure enough about it. As impressive and all as it is.

TBH, like Hooch, the MK8 GTI would excite me more.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue with you moving that deposit onto a GTi, especially if you were to order one for early 2021 delivery. I've no notion of changing my MK7 but if I were the only thing out there that would really interest me is a MK8.

I have hinted at it all along to the dealer, he probably thinks I was joking. Initially the lead time between the two was nearly a year now we're down to about 12 weeks...the id won't even be working properly until next year...

I've a refundable deposit down, tbh what I'm seeing in the first movers clubs with glitches, chaps getting towed and the possibility of a 40% drop in winter range really getting second thoughts...

Where did that happen :eek:?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Very surprised to see the interest in the ID.3 on here. A performance model with some sporty bits, 250hp and maybe an interior refresh in a few years and I'd say they're on to a winner.

I've a refundable deposit down, tbh what I'm seeing in the first movers clubs with glitches, chaps getting towed and the possibility of a 40% drop in winter range really getting second thoughts...

Where did that happen :eek:?

There's glitches all over the place, car speeding up and down by itself, air bag errors, charging errors, range display problems, they probably shouldn't have let people who haven't got their car yet into the first movers club.

Screenshot-20200923-112648.jpg

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Very surprised to see the interest in the ID.3 on here. A performance model with some sporty bits, 250hp and maybe an interior refresh in a few years and I'd say they're on to a winner.

It's a quick car for normal driving, it'll beat a gti performance to 100km. There's decent room in it, it's just getting harder to commit the more issues i'm seeing, it's the 0% bik tempting me don't think I could live with the headaches though, GTI had been too good a car to knowingly buy something that's not ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Isn't it like 7.2 secs to 100kms? A mk7 GTi-P is about half a second quicker than that I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If I was thinking of a performance mk8, obviously lack of demos means no test drive, but I would defo want to take out a "normal" mk8 for a day or two as the interior screens, lack of buttons will be the same across the range and I would need to get my head around them before committing. No doubt they are fine, as least you'd hope if that's what Vw decided worked.

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Isn't it like 7.2 secs to 100kms? A mk7 GTi-P is about half a second quicker than that I thought

Go to 21.50, it's just wrong..

Advertisement