Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

It will be interesting to see how the Leon Cupra and Skoda Octavia VRs are specced and priced when they arrive here.
    I think the Leon is a better looking car than the golf and it is generally acknowledged that the golf doesn't have the superior quality advantage it used to have over its in house rivals.
    I know the Golf GTI has traditionally had better residuals but any Cupra that comes up for sale seems to go very quickly at good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...xtras/25953395 Anyone know this car?

What are opinions on keyless entry? Not read much positives, but if you install a ghost immobiliser are they pretty secure?

Also opinions on DCC? Is it a must?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Link doesn't work but think I found the ad. Don't think most of the options listed are rare per se, but it is rare to see them in an early car.

I've keyless and DCC on my Leon Cupra. I prefer keyless it, but it's a matter of preference. There are the security concerns around it, but, keep the key in a faraday pouch and it'll help a little. IMO, if someone wants the car, they'll get it regardless of whether it has keyless or not. DCC, to be honest, I can't really feel much of a difference, but then, I don't use the car a whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

None of those options are “rare” barring the paintwork.

Keyless is fine, don’t worry about it. It’s a nice to have feature.

DCC not necessary imo but those who’ve had it say it’s great. Standard ride is fine.

@ benny and Joe - Cheers for the replies lads. Yeah I didn't think the options were rare. But the colour is nice. Leather, pan roof and prets would be a few things I would like to have. The prets I could live without as they're only cosmetic and changed easily.

Only off putting thing is number of owners. Seems to be common on these to have high owners. Wanted to see if anyone knew the car.

What is a reasonable price for one of these privately? Some seem to be up a while. I'm guessing cars in this price bracket are probably a slow sale.

At that mileage of 90k kms what are the big ticket service items that should have been done at this stage? Also do these engines suffer the same issues of the Mark V GTI's? Cam follower, PCV and diverter valve?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

I'm a big fan of keyless, never having to get the key out of your pocket is just so convenient. As for the security concerns, it's not something I worry about and you can take precautions with where you store your keys if you are concerned about it.

I have DCC on mine and use it quite often to switch suspension modes, that said, if I didn't have it I could live without it as the standard setup is usually spot on in the performance Golfs. It's a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'must have'. I believe the DCC in the new mk8's will offer even more adjustability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Max Q wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of keyless, never having to get the key out of your pocket is just so convenient. As for the security concerns, it's not something I worry about and you can take precautions with where you store your keys if you are concerned about it.

I have DCC on mine and use it quite often to switch suspension modes, that said, if I didn't have it I could live without it as the standard setup is usually spot on in the performance Golfs. It's a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'must have'. I believe the DCC in the new mk8's will offer even more adjustability.

I would switch between DCC modes on average 2/3 times on any decent drive - The difference of how the car behaves between comfort and race never fail to surprise me.

tossy wrote: »
    I would switch between DCC modes on average 2/3 times on any decent drive - The difference of how the car behaves between comfort and race never fail to surprise me.

Yeah I agree, there's a very noticeable difference between the suspension modes. I always scratch my head when I hear people saying they can't feel the difference between modes. The difference between the 'Race' suspension setting and 'Comfort' is like night and day and very noticeable imo.

Cheers lads. Are there any reliability issues or expensive bills associated with the DCC? Good to hear different opinions

tolow wrote: »
    Cheers lads. Are there any reliability issues or expensive bills associated with the DCC? Good to hear different opinions

Not aware of any reliability issues but when/if they happen I'd imagine the bill would be higher.

• Advertisement

I had to replace 2 rear shocks on a TTS and it was close to €900 from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Sounds about right, I know someone who had to replace the front pair on a GTi and they were around €500 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

tolow wrote: »

I forgot to post the obligatory buy my R instead post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

tossy wrote: »
    I forgot to post the obligatory buy my R instead post :D

Or my Cupra ;-)

Or my Cupra ;-)

You don't have it too long, any reason for selling it?

bennyx_o wrote: »
    You don't have it too long, any reason for selling it?

I’d lose my license if I keep it! I’ve submitted it to zucar online but they never bothered their bollix getting back to me, so I might keep it.

Or my Cupra ;-)

PM me some details on your cupra if you're selling. Could possibly be tempted by one.

Has anyone vrt'd a Golf R recently? There are a few models available and then one model listed as R 4X4 300PS 3DR AUTO. VRT calculator is giving 6,866 for a 2015 of this model but only 5400 for R 4MOTION 310PS 3DR AUTO.

Or does anyone know the statistical code for them?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

The two versions will most likely have two different co2 outputs. Whichever version matches the car you buy is the price you will pay. So really you need to ring the dealer and ask for the co2 and nox outputs

Edit: Just realised one of the descriptions is 300PS and the other is 310PS so that will help differentiate also

• Advertisement

The 310 didn’t exist in 2015 either, that was first introduced in the Mk7.5 wasn’t it? Before WLTP put pay to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dogg are you using waze at all it's saved my skin a few times, certainly cheaper than changing car.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Was this tan colour leather an option on the R or is it some sort of re trim?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202009153747361?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭User1998

Tan leather and keyless is fairly common on high spec Japenese import Golfs, and the clocks look to be in kilometres and it has a high registration number so I’d say that might explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Could be a genuine option but could also just aftermarket leather too. I don't think it's a Japanese import. The rear number plate housing is rectangle like most EU spec cars, Jap imports tend to have square number plate housing. The infotainment system looks like a stock system too, Japanese VW's I've seen all have some oddball aftermarket looking infotainment system that is very different to the one we get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

User1998 wrote: »
    Tan leather and keyless is fairly common on high spec Japenese import Golfs, and the clocks look to be in kilometres and it has a high registration number so I’d say that might explain it

It says its an Irish car in the add, but I will check it out. I wasn't aware of Japanese imports, thanks for that

That leather is aftermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have seen a few Mk7 Highlines with that colour leather, mostly 16's but some earlier ones too, it was definitely an option at the time. Don't know if it was an option on the R though.

Like these ones. Don't ever remember seeing it in an R, it's a good imitation if it isn't OE IMO. That said, in terms of taste i think it's desperate looking.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-sold-sold-sold-sold-1-2tsi-dsg-5d/25813491

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-tsi-dsg-auto-highline-5dr-sh/25167100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4-tsi-dsg-auto-highline-5dr-sh/25917363

It was never an option in the R. The chances of someone going to that trouble (that myself and a handful of other anoraks did) of finding the right option code in Germany and getting a cooperative dealer to order it are slim to none. And the car looks standard spec otherwise, roof aside... so.. slim chances that this is some bespoke factory car. Besides, in the photos it looks clearly aftermarket, the pic or the headrest in particular. That car had cloth seats and it’s an aftermarket retrim.

The only time I remember it being an official offering was in a limited edition run based on the comfort line. Think they called it the “Lounge edition”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Don't know about everyone else but I think that leather looks awful in that R

Advertisement