Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Pretty sure Frank Keane had that R up for sale last year

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

That R was for sale in Frank Keane's either late last year or early this year.

Keane's had a white demo with the same colour leather when I ordered a GTI October 14. The quality of the leather was pretty good.

Its a leather colour that's everyone has an opinion on, in BMW its called cognac which I like but herself describes it as skitter, a farming analogy apparently for ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Dogg are you using waze at all it's saved my skin a few times, certainly cheaper than changing car.

I use it constantly, however there’s not many other users in this neck of the woods so invariably I’m the one adding the checkpoints. Ah to be honest, I’ll probably keep it I’m just testing the waters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

bazz26 wrote: »
    Could be a genuine option but could also just aftermarket leather too. I don't think it's a Japanese import. The rear number plate housing is rectangle like most EU spec cars, Jap imports tend to have square number plate housing. The infotainment system looks like a stock system too, Japanese VW's I've seen all have some oddball aftermarket looking infotainment system that is very different to the one we get here.

That’s an Irish car sold originally by VW in Ballsbridge before they were gone. I remember seeing that car in their showroom and thought it might have been their demo car. I know the guy who owned it and he has traded up to a 191/192 R.
    Clean car but the dirty exhausts would do my head in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Updated the R at 29k getting pretty close to keeping it money now.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-golf-r-revo-stage-2/25556186?campaign=14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

tossy wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2016-golf-r-revo-stage-2/25556186?campaign=14
    i dont know how anyone hasnt snapped this up yet or that it hasnt ended up on the likes of r kings

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

I'm looking at trading in a 172 Mk7.5 GTI DSG Performance Pack (245bhp) for an ID.3 (sob).
    List price was €44135 base plus €3646 extras. Paid €44599 after discounts.
    It's in pretty mint condition. I bought it new. Has never been washed by anyone bar myself and is very well kept.
    34,000 km on the clock.

Has a load of extras (I know they are worth SFA!):
    Metallic paint
    Dynamic Chassis Control
    Innovation pack (I think this was winter pack, upgraded infotainment, dynamic cornering lights)
    Keyless w/ deadbolts
    Alarm
    DAB Radio
    Park Assist

What do you think would be a reasonable value?

The dealer is offering €24k which to me seems way too low.
    Hard to know what the spread is between asking prices on Carzone (€29-31k) and actual selling prices (maybe 2k less???)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you trying to sell it or trade it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Would you not be better off putting it back to standard and selling the car as standard and the parts separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

st332 wrote: »
    I'm looking at trading in a 172 Mk7.5 GTI DSG Performance Pack (245bhp) for an ID.3 (sob).
    It's in pretty mint condition. I bought it new. Has never been washed by anyone bar myself and is very well kept.
    34,000 km on the clock.

Metallic paint
    Dynamic Chassis Control
    Innovation pack (I think this was winter pack, upgraded infotainment, dynamic cornering lights)
    Keyless w/ deadbolts
    Alarm
    DAB Radio
    Park Assist

Hard to know what the spread is between asking prices on Carzone (€29-31k) and actual selling prices (maybe 2k less???)

Get a few pictures up and post it here :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058076324

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

34,000 km on the clock.

Metallic paint
    Dynamic Chassis Control
    Keyless w/ deadbolts
    Alarm
    DAB Radio
    Park Assist

First of all, you're correct. The extras are worth SFA, the dealer doesn't care. He looks at the numberplate, the mileage, the general condition and at what these cars are going for in the trade (ignore carzone prices - it is fantasy).

That said, with you trying to trade a VW for a VW I think you should do a bit better as I know they're really trying to get people into those ID3's. Shop around.

You could also stick your car details into www.zucar.ie and if they're interested they'll come back to you with a price to buy it. Will give you an idea where the trade values it.

deceit wrote: »
    Would you not be better off putting it back to standard and selling the car as standard and the parts separate?

No chance as if it doesn't sell i'd be stuck with a standard R i'd also have to drive it around in standard form while advertising it lol :( joking a little but going back to a stock R would be hard to do after driving this one.

I've also no interest in selling all the parts individually. Also it would cost me a day and a few bob to get it back to standard.

No i'll gladly drive it on if it doesn't sell as it is. Thanks for the reply though.

I did receive and ignore a few would you sell 'Insert part' separately messages from DD :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

34,000 km on the clock.

Metallic paint
    Dynamic Chassis Control
    Keyless w/ deadbolts
    Alarm
    DAB Radio
    Park Assist

Colour? Pictures?!

Are you trying to sell it or trade it?

I'm ideally looking to trade in against an ID.3, but will sell it on the open market if they don't up the trade in value, or might just hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think your mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

34,000 km on the clock.

Metallic paint
    Dynamic Chassis Control
    Keyless w/ deadbolts
    Alarm
    DAB Radio
    Park Assist

your car I would have thought should be a couple of grand more than you are being offered as it is a VW you are buying.
    What is the attraction of ID3?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    your car I would have thought should be a couple of grand more than you are being offered as it is a VW you are buying.
    What is the attraction of ID3?

Have had 2 kids since buying the GTI so opportunities for an Italian tune up are vanishingly rare. It's our only car.

Bought a new house with a driveway, solar PV, 3 phase power, wired for charging. I live in Dublin city and rarely do big miles, so a EV makes sense.

I figured if I'm not going to get another GTI, I should get something totally different. I don't like Teslas, don't want something Korean/Japanese and can't afford an ETron or a Taycan!

The ID.3 is no slouch from a standing start with its flat torque curve and RWD so it won't be all bad, but I will absolutely miss the GTI.

I've went from a GTI to an ID3 yesterday, it was a financial decision wasn't buying with my heart this time, was able to sell the GTI and pocket the money as it was my private car, bought the id3 through the company so 0 benefit in kind and the company covers all running costs.
    Considering what VW were offering for my GTI I don't think 24k is a bad throw, they'll probably retail for 28k and be able to offer it through VW finance.
    Hard to compare, power wise it feels like there very close but you just don't get that spirited feeling of pace in the ID. It's a very high driving position while the GTI is a go cart with buckets of personality.

If that GTI was mine and I was getting no cash benefit, I'd be inclined to keep it another while, the software just isn't up to scratch yet on the ID. Still if you were getting 24k for the GTI and got the entry 1st for 32k after grants it's probably worth considering Tosssy's R.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

TBH I agree with drunkmonkey, I'd hold tight with your GTI for a bit. What are you actually "saving" by going with an EV? You said yourself, you're not using the car much, so you're obviously not spending much on fuel today. So you won't be saving anything on fuel. The GTI is just as useful as a family "workhorse" as the ID3 without any of the range anxiety.

The performance Golf's depreciation really seems to plateau out at that figure, around the 23-26k mark, so your car isn't going to lose that much more value if you keep it another while. For example, a friend of mine was trying to trade his very well spec'd 2014 GTI PP back in early 2017. Dealers were offering him similar to you. It was even worse actually as he wanted a BMW and the BMW dealers were only offering him about 20-21k! He eventually sold the GTI privately for about 24k and the guy who bought it has kept it insanely clean - I reckon he would get a big chunk of his 24k back if he was to sell it again.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    TBH I agree with drunkmonkey, I'd hold tight with your GTI for a bit. What are you actually "saving" by going with an EV? You said yourself, you're not using the car much, so you're obviously not spending much on fuel today. So you won't be saving anything on fuel. The GTI is just as useful as a family "workhorse" as the ID3 without any of the range anxiety.

The performance Golf's depreciation really seems to plateau out at that figure, around the 23-26k mark, so your car isn't going to lose that much more value if you keep it another while. For example, a friend of mine was trying to trade his very well spec'd 2014 GTI PP back in early 2017. Dealers were offering him similar to you. It was even worse actually as he wanted a BMW and the BMW dealers were only offering him about 20-21k! He eventually sold the GTI privately for about 24k and the guy who bought it has kept it insanely clean - I reckon he would get a big chunk of his 24k back if he was to sell it again.

I'm beginning to think I might hold on to it alright. Was expecting to get more for it and don't think the current finances support changing.

For others asking, it's dark iron blue, stock alloys. Will stick some photos up when I get a chance.

• Advertisement

Deposit taken on the R this evening.

I'm beginning to think I might hold on to it alright. Was expecting to get more for it and don't think the current finances support changing.

Didn't mean to put you off the id, it's got great potential with the right software and a few mods, If you could change to the standard 1st cheaply might be worth doing. Plus and the max aren't worth the stretch I reckon especially with kids wrecking it. I do like it nice bit of kick in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Deposit taken on the R this evening.

Nice one tossy, don't forget the sales commission for the boardsies that were helping you flog it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Those Cupra ST's really are lovely cars, and so practical in estate form. I wonder how vw got the golf estate so wrong in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I have a Mark V GTi and am talking myself into buying a more recent one.

(eg. my tax is €750 per year - this is half that, therefore 5 x 380 = €1900, fuel consumption is better so saving €x per week which is €y over 5 years etc etc.)

I spotted this

https://www.carsireland.ie/car-dealers/county/dublin/motorlink/detail.php?ad_id=2628309&r=s.php%3F%26g%3D2

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Naas Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

everlast75 wrote: »

(eg. my tax is €750 per year - this is half that, therefore 5 x 380 = €1900, fuel consumption is better so saving €x per week which is €y over 5 years etc etc.)

I spotted this

https://www.carsireland.ie/car-dealers/county/dublin/motorlink/detail.php?ad_id=2628309&r=s.php%3F%26g%3D2

Any thoughts?

If you're buying the new one just due to perceived savings on fuel/tax, don't! What you'll save there will be spent on depreciation & then some. However if you just want a Mk7, do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Wailin wrote: »
    Those Cupra ST's really are lovely cars, and so practical in estate form. I wonder how vw got the golf estate so wrong in comparison.

I actually think the Golf R estate looks great, real stealth performance combined with subtle understated looks which is just what i would want from a car like that.

Bigger boot in the golf (150L more when back seats down than the cupra) and its a better drive too with the haldex 4wd. Havent driven either estate but plenty of the hatch variants.

Its a more grown up car.

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »

I spotted this

Any thoughts?

That's a UK car and being sold in an area known as the Bermuda triangle of dodgy car dealers. For those two reasons I'd be doing a very detailed car history check especially on the UK history because usually when you add 1 and 1 you do get 2. ;)

Advertisement