Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

everlast75 wrote: »
    I have a Mark V GTi and am talking myself into buying a more recent one.

(eg. my tax is €750 per year - this is half that, therefore 5 x 380 = €1900, fuel consumption is better so saving €x per week which is €y over 5 years etc etc.)

I spotted this

https://www.carsireland.ie/car-dealers/county/dublin/motorlink/detail.php?ad_id=2628309&r=s.php%3F%26g%3D2

Any thoughts?

I would rule this one out for reasons already mentioned plus your man maths definitely needs recalibration !

I don’t think it’s particularly good value either, given the base spec, the uk import aspect and the perceived risks of dealing with one of those Naas road dealers. There was someone in this thread the other day with a lovely 2017 high spec PP and VW dealers are only offering him 24k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I actually think the Golf R estate looks great, real stealth performance combined with subtle understated looks which is just what i would want from a car like that.

Bigger boot in the golf (150L more when back seats down than the cupra) and its a better drive too with the haldex 4wd. Havent driven either estate but plenty of the hatch variants.

Its a more grown up car.
    The Cupra estate has the haldex 4wd too, and, I'd argue it's more subtle and understated than the Golf R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

bennyx_o wrote: »
    The Cupra estate has the haldex 4wd too, and, I'd argue it's more subtle and understated than the Golf R

Only the 2019+ 4Drive models have the haldex. Any made before that were FWD. I tend to agree with you though the Cupra estate is the nicer looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Dont get me wrong, the Cupra R estate is the better looking car by a mile, its lairier and has much more presence.

But if its a family car that the missus will drive and will be going on holidays with us as a family id much rather the Golf R estate, its got more space, its more understated and subtle and it doesn't scream look at my fast car, I have my weekend cars for that stuff.

It would be much more fun pulling up at the lights in a Golf R estate and tearing off into the sunset in a very unassuming car compared to the Leon.

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong, the Cupra R estate is the better looking car by a mile, its lairier and has much more presence.

But if its a family car that the missus will drive and will be going on holidays with us as a family id much rather the Golf R estate, its got more space, its more understated and subtle and it doesn't scream look at my fast car, I have my weekend cars for that stuff.

It would be much more fun pulling up at the lights in a Golf R estate and tearing off into the sunset in a very unassuming car compared to the Leon.

I’m not so sure about that. No question the Seat is better looking, but it’s also fairly anonymous imo. It looks like any other diesel Leon to most people. Despite the relative blandness of the Golf it’s more “known” and will draw more attention of the negative variety.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I would rule this one out for reasons already mentioned plus your man maths definitely needs recalibration !

I don’t think it’s particularly good value either, given the base spec, the uk import aspect and the perceived risks of dealing with one of those Naas road dealers. There was someone in this thread the other day with a lovely 2017 high spec PP and VW dealers are only offering him 24k for it.

I just looked at those photos again and there is something else odd about it. It’s missing the front fogs. This was a major f-up by VW UK back in 2017, the first batch of 7.5’s all arrived as mis-builds. Missing front fogs.

There’s a reason these oddball spec cars end up on the Naas road. There’s another dealer in the vicinity with a Golf R that was more accustomed to sunnier climes in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ye lads should charge a consultancy fee. I would gladly pay it!

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm getting a burning smell when sitting at a light and it isn't pleasant. Oil and brake fluid changed last week and last night I ran over a black bag which got stuck under the car which was removed. Temperature is fine and coolant is max. I'll double check for remnants of the bag but the engine bay smells alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 c00lkat007

Can a main dealer retrofit a deadlock mechanism on a Golf that wasn't specced during manufacturing. This is the safelock mechanism and as I am aware the deadlock works by having a second motor on the doors which isn't present on cars without it. Could a dealer put this into a car afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Intodeep

Looking at buying a GTI performance pack as the tax is only €280 and it has good reviews. I’ve around €20k to spend but haven’t seen any for sale? Anyone know of any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They pop up for sale alright but probably not for anywhere near 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Intodeep wrote: »
    Looking at buying a GTI performance pack as the tax is only €280 and it has good reviews. I’ve around €20k to spend but haven’t seen any for sale? Anyone know of any?

I've been checking on and off for the last few weeks for PP among other GTi's and looking around I'd guess, you're talking in and around another €7/8k for a 2017 PP.

Thanks Gav I guess there weren’t many sold here. They all seem to be R’s and I prefer the look, and lower fuel consumption of the GTI PP. Interior is much nicer also.

You'd get an early (14 reg maybe 15) MK7 GTi PP for around the €20k mark buying privately, a bit more from a dealer. You're right the tax was €280 for the manual MK7 and €390 for the DSG but if spending 20k+ on a performance car i wouldn't be worried about a few hundred savings in tax.

Below are two i'd spotted:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk7-gti/26115250

This one is lightly modified so may not be your thing.

This looks like a clean standard DSG model:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2585857&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2013%26g%3D0

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf-2.0-TSI-GTI-PERFORMANCE-2-230PS-5DR/202010044600552

Thanks for the help lads. I’ve been on the search and this one seems to have just gone up.

What do you think?

Lovely car. Looks very well minded and mileage is very low. Full service history and premium Michelin tyres fitted also a good sign. I think that would be a good buy at that money to be honest provided everything else checks out. That won't hang around I imagine.

Hey Hooch thanks for that - now to convince SWMBO that a GTI is as economical as a GTD 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf-2.0-TSI-GTI-PERFORMANCE-2-230PS-5DR/202010044600552

Thanks for the help lads. I’ve been on the search and this one seems to have just gone up.

What do you think?

That's a lovely example, nicely specced

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hey Hooch thanks for that - now to convince SWMBO that a GTI is as economical as a GTD ��

Just say someone put a GTi badge on a GTD.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just say someone put a GTi badge on a GTD.

:pac:
    and fitted extra sound deadening:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    That's a lovely example, nicely specced

Chiming in again to say it's really nicely specced. You'd be a long time waiting for one with a sunroof, dynaudio, nav pro, and park pilot just on first glance.

PS4s and the mention of the well regarded D&D detailing are both good signs for how it was cared for.

There's plenty of info in the precursor to this thread about what to look out for in MK7 GTIs, so have a browse and you should be well armed going looking at it.

Thanks guys it does look great. Hopefully I can get to it before it sells. Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

That's excellent value, well worth chasing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Thanks guys it does look great. Hopefully I can get to it before it sells. Thanks for all your help.

I wouldnt hang around on that car, you'll miss out on it!

If you are genuinely serious about getting a high spec PP GTI you need to be on the ball and move straight away as soon as something like this comes up or you'll be waiting forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I see Limerick now has its own Cupra dealer too, James Barry Motors, only the second that I'm aware of in the country after Airside in Swords.

I see Limerick now has its own Cupra dealer too, James Barry Motors, only the second that I'm aware of in the country after Airside in Swords.

That's good to hear, have dealt with them twice now, they are decent guys and James himself is a real petrol head too.

McCoy's in Lucan have also recently been appointed as Cupra dealers, which isn't surprising really as they seem to shift the majority of them sold around the country these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That’s a positive development alright for us in the mid west. I know James he’s a sound guy.
    I am interested in seeing the prices of the new cupra sports tourer. I think it will be a good buy if priced right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Serious competition for golf gti.
    undercuts it on price too.

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10468/BMW-reveals-focused-128ti-hot-hatch

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭what the hell!

carsfan2 wrote: »

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10468/BMW-reveals-focused-128ti-hot-hatch

Looks tasty from the outside. Be interesting to see how it’s kitted out inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

carsfan2 wrote: »

That's a good bit cheaper than the DSG GTI on the road. It has the diff from the M135i too. If I was in the market for a new GTI, I'd be seriously reconsidering things.

Advertisement