Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Looks tasty from the outside. Be interesting to see how it’s kitted out inside.

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/1-series/203156/bmw-128ti-revealed-in-full-pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Idrive and buttons a plus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

"Red means sporty" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Spotted something I wasn't expecting in this US GTI at 10m 37s ...

https://youtu.be/Q4vlnwvM8IQ?t=635

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Serious competition for golf gti.
    undercuts it on price too.

https://www.completecar.ie/car-news/article/10468/BMW-reveals-focused-128ti-hot-hatch

Just as ugly and generic as the mk8 so yeah it will be competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Neilw wrote: »
    Just as ugly and generic as the mk8 so yeah it will be competition.

At least the interior of the 1 Series works well though regardless of what you think about the exterior. You can't say BMW messed up the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

So I got an R this last week. Below are the options it has which someone got for me. Were heated seats standard in all cars with leather interior? Also what was the technology pack?

Fitted pilot sport 4 s all round since I got it and upgraded security. I'm booked in with Daltons this monday for a full service and think I will upgrade the front brakes to Clubsport S discs and pads.

dcpUeBm.jpg

8DnRrDA.jpg
    OROR - Oryx white pearl effect paint
    KA1X - KA1 with W7Q - Rear view camera
    PS1 - Panoramic sunroof
    8G1X - 8G1X with W7Q - High beam light with assist
    W7Q - Technology pack
    ZND - Navigation system "Discover pro"
    4F2 - keyless entry
    UI4 - USB interface
    WL5 - leather trim recaro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

SaintsYB wrote: »
    At least the interior of the 1 Series works well though regardless of what you think about the exterior. You can't say BMW messed up the interior.

Yeah the interior is ok, standard bmw, same as across the range...nothing too exciting.

Imo most cars look too similar these days, the 5 door body shell which I despise just makes them all look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The BMW is up on the U.K. configurator.
    Looks ok in black with the red accents. The standard black grille hides some of the hideous front end.
    Misses some standard equipment that’s on the golf like the matrix headlights and adaptive cruise but they can be added. Will be interesting to see road test reviews and comparisons to golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I like the look of the 128ti.

Was messing around with it on the UK configurator and the storm bay metallic with red accents is a nice combination, IMO.

I'd say you wont get much change out of 50k once you start adding a few things, as is the way over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

[QUOTE=tolow;114864461
    Were heated seats standard in all cars with leather interior? Also what was the technology pack?

8DnRrDA.jpg
    OROR - Oryx white pearl effect paint
    KA1X - KA1 with W7Q - Rear view camera
    PS1 - Panoramic sunroof
    8G1X - 8G1X with W7Q - High beam light with assist
    W7Q - Technology pack
    ZND - Navigation system "Discover pro"
    4F2 - keyless entry
    UI4 - USB interface
    WL5 - leather trim recaro[/QUOTE]

Heated seats came "free" with leather yes.

Tech pack varied from year to year but I think back then it included the Rear view camera, keyless and the high beam light assist. Pretty much all cars had it.

So your car effectively has this over standard:
    Tech pack
    Paint
    Leather
    Nav Pro
    sunroof.

Well north of a 50k car when new with those options ticked.

You have prets too which may have been fitted afterwards? They were a cheap factory option.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tolow

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Heated seats came "free" with leather yes.

Tech pack varied from year to year but I think back then it included the Rear view camera, keyless and the high beam light assist. Pretty much all cars had it.

So your car effectively has this over standard:
    Tech pack
    Paint
    Leather
    Nav Pro
    sunroof.

Well north of a 50k car when new with those options ticked.

You have prets too which may have been fitted afterwards? They were a cheap factory option.

Yep I think the prets must have been added afterwards. Will need to check if they are genuine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Just reading the Autocar review of the Cupra Leon PHEV. It doesn't read well for the car, especially the ride.

That's disappointing as I was contemplating that as a replacement for the ol' Leon FR (as they have discontinued the 184ps Leon diesel).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/cupra/leon/first-drives/cupra-leon-ehybrid-2020-uk-review

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

That cars a strange one. Hot hatch and plug in hybrid really don't go together in the same sentence.

Should have marketed it as a stand alone model above the FR but below the Cupra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

That cars a strange one. Hot hatch and plug in hybrid really don't go together in the same sentence.

Should have marketed it as a stand alone model above the FR but below the Cupra.

I was looking at it because the big diesel is now gone. I don't need a diesel but got used to the grunt that the current machine has. I was thinking that the PHEV would fill the gap but I may have to go full fat Cupra / GTi / etc.

That 128Ti looks interesting but I'm worried about BMW' reliability reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's really to comply with emission regulations and satisfy market trends same as when they started putting diesel engines into hot hatches a decade ago like the Golf GTD or Octavia RS and more recently, performance crossovers like the T Roc R and Ateca Cupra.

ianobrien wrote: »
    That 128Ti looks interesting but I'm worried about BMW' reliability reputation

I really wouldn't worry about reliability - they're nowhere near as bad as some would like you to believe. Looking at possibly selling one of our cars and looked through the history of my wifes 100k mile F10 which has been in the extended family from close on new and through all the receipts the only non service item is an LED strip for the mirror.

128ti looks really interesting. If I was in the market for a new one it would be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

ianobrien wrote: »
    Just reading the Autocar review of the Cupra Leon PHEV. It doesn't read well for the car, especially the ride.

That's disappointing as I was contemplating that as a replacement for the ol' Leon FR (as they have discontinued the 184ps Leon diesel).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/cupra/leon/first-drives/cupra-leon-ehybrid-2020-uk-review

The equivalent plug in vrs octavia got similar lukewarm review from completecar.ie
    I’m sure they are lovely cars to live with in real life, just not hot hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Big downside of the plug in VAG models is the reduction in space, particularly in estate form. Passat, A4 and A6 proposed PHEV variants are massively down on luggage storage over other models. The A6 in particular is down to 400L which is shocking for a car of its size.

Wonder what the situation space wise is the with Cupra PHEV above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Looking at possibly selling one of our cars...

Did I see your Cupra up for sale?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Did I see your Cupra up for sale?

I threw it up but didn't actually have a plan if it sold so it's down again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I threw it up but didn't actually have a plan if it sold so it's down again now.

Same as mine so!

Same as mine so!

Yeah, was either another F31 or just go for a bit of a barge. Nothing else really ticks the same boxes for a bit of space and poke. R wagon is another one but I prefer the Leon tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Having spent a long time on the outside of this thread looking in, I put a deposit down yesterday on a 2015 Golf R Estate in Northern Ireland. All going to plan, should be bringing it home by Wednesday. Excited would be an understatement.

Oryx White, Heated Seats, ACC, Nav, Keyless, Genuine Gloss Black Pretorias, VWR Springs, RacingLine Monoblock Front Brakes and Full Service History including recent Haldex & oil service.

kh1K8VG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Nice, congrats on the new purchase. I saw a 2017 one popped up today on Done deal with Hollybrook in NI. No price on the ad yet but knowing them it'll be on the high side.

Nice one paddy, oryx is a class colour and rare as I'm sure you know. Great machine for you and your kit, best of luck with it. A fella agreed to buy my car today. First to view it and he loved it so hopefully works out. On donedeal now, feel like I'm in a toy shop with my communion money :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Nice one paddy, oryx is a class colour and rare as I'm sure you know. Great machine for you and your kit, best of luck with it. A fella agreed to buy my car today. First to view it and he loved it so hopefully works out. On donedeal now, feel like I'm in a toy shop with my communion money :).

So what are you shopping for now?

maddness wrote: »
    So what are you shopping for now?

Looking at a few options. Will see how I get on with shifting my own first. Petrol is the only real thing for sure, so will see how I get on with that limitation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Nice one Vintage. Happy shopping

Advertisement