Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

moleyv wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looking at the configurator, sticking the 19" Adelaide rims on, increases the co2 to 172, and therefore into the 31% VRT bracket, which is unfortunate (assuming it is accurate).

I couldn't live with the standard rims.

There’s another 19” wheel option in the product guide that’s nicer again imo. Cant remember the details off hand but it’s in the product guide which they have up online now.
    I agree the standard wheels are desperate. You should try clarifying with a dealer re the VRT band, I’d be surprised if that’s the case tbh. The configurator is always full of errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

It does happen Joe. The 19" wheels on the RS3 brings it from the €750 to €1200 tax bracket and consequently into a higher VRT band.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    It does happen Joe. The 19" wheels on the RS3 brings it from the €750 to €1200 tax bracket and consequently into a higher VRT band.

Ah fk that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There’s another 19” wheel option in the product guide that’s nicer again imo. Cant remember the details off hand but it’s in the product guide which they have up online now.
    I agree the standard wheels are desperate. You should try clarifying with a dealer re the VRT band, I’d be surprised if that’s the case tbh. The configurator is always full of errors.

Saw those. I do prefer the Adelaide ones. Likely the same result with the VRT due to the size.

I could live with 18”, if there were some alternatives. Maybe VW will introduce some more options down the line. Aftermarket are a bit 90s IMO.

But as you say, will have to ask the dealer if they know.

Saw those. I do prefer the Adelaide ones. Likely the same result with the VRT due to the size.

I could live with 18”, if there were some alternatives. Maybe VW will introduce some more options down the line. Aftermarket are a bit 90s IMO.

But as you say, will have to ask the dealer if they know.

With all the recent VRT/tax changes in the recent budget, it could be a bit all over the place at the moment, but if you get a responsive salesman, he should be able to clarify it with VW Ireland.

I also agree with you on the notion of aftermarket tbh, especially on a brand new car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

There's a big difference between cheap aftermarket and proper aftermarket. Be prepared to spend 2k and you'll have much nicer wheels than VW give you.

dar83 wrote: »
    There's a big difference between cheap aftermarket and proper aftermarket.

Not disputing that but personally I'd prefer to keep a new car OEM / factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I wonder will VW Ireland default to 17” alloys like rest of Europe to bring entry prices down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

They should out 4 space savers on each car for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I’m not sure that would bring it down a bracket of VRT compared to the standard 18”. It seems the upgrade to 19” just seems to tip it over into the next bracket.

I’ll see if I can get anything from the dealer. I’d need a certain answer on a potential additional 5% VRT before committing to anything.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure that would bring it down a bracket of VRT compared to the standard 18”. It seems the upgrade to 19” just seems to tip it over into the next bracket.

I’ll see if I can get anything from the dealer. I’d need a certain answer on a potential additional 5% VRT before committing to anything.

Yeah, the cost to upgrade the wheels is sore enough (€900+) but if it bumps up the VRT on the whole car and pushes you up into the higher annual motor tax band, then it's a hard one to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Yeah, the cost to upgrade the wheels is sore enough (€900+) but if it bumps up the VRT on the whole car and pushes you up into the higher annual motor tax band, then it's a hard one to justify.

I calculate it'll be an extra €2211 in VRT and an extra €180 a year in road tax. The car stock is literally straddling the band, anything would push it over. I checked and adding the panoramic sunroof and the leather seats also pushed you up to 171g.

If that's the case why not just buy the car with the 18" wheels and order the 19s directly from VW afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

If that's the case why not just buy the car with the 18" wheels and order the 19s directly from VW afterwards.

That’s what I would do

Stick the old alloys up on donedeal with new tyres and you’d probably get over a grand for them

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks like a large percentage of Mk8 GTis sold here will probably have no factory extras on them if it pushes them into the next VRT bracket.

If you wanted to buy the factory 19's after the event, VW would want the guts of 4k off you. Then you need 4 tyres. Its an expensive upgrade!

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if this is really all the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If you wanted to buy the factory 19's after the event, VW would want the guts of 4k off you. Then you need 4 tyres. Its an expensive upgrade!

Anyway, I'd be curious to see if this is really all the case.

I know of a case on here where someone went from 17s to 18s on a new VW and he wasn't warned by VW about it pushing the car into the next tax band. Nasty surprise to get on a new car delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Lads , have any of you experienced steering issue on GTI's . Mine is back to dealer, trying to figure out small knock /clunk noise when moving steering wheel sharply right - left when stationary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I have a 05 DSG GTI I bough 4 years ago for 3k, it look good, goes great and has caused very little headache, except the beige leather interior that makes me a little sick at time to think about. Anyways I would love to upgrade a few years but cannot get my head round the monumental hike in prices to go up a few years into a Mk6 or mk7. not looking for any advise just had a bit of a brain fart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Notch000 wrote: »
    I have a 05 DSG GTI I bough 4 years ago for 3k, it look good, goes great and has caused very little headache, except the beige leather interior that makes me a little sick at time to think about. Anyways I would love to upgrade a few years but cannot get my head round the monumental hike in prices to go up a few years into a Mk6 or mk7. not looking for any advise just had a bit of a brain fart

I've the same, 06 5 door, cream heated electric leather seats, reversing sensors, Sunroof, climate control, 160km on the clock and it's cost me under 1k in repairs and servicing in the 6 years I've owned it. The cost to change to a Mk7 just isn't worth it as they've held their value so well.

Although it's pretty refreshing to be enjoying the car, but also not worrying about it if it's parked in a carpark or gets dirty etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

I've the same, 06 5 door, cream heated electric leather seats, reversing sensors, Sunroof, climate control, 160km on the clock and it's cost me under 1k in repairs and servicing in the 6 years I've owned it. The cost to change to a Mk7 just isn't worth it as they've held their value so well.

Although it's pretty refreshing to be enjoying the car, but also not worrying about it if it's parked in a carpark or gets dirty etc.

The newer GTI's hold their value really well so although it means you have to spend to get a good one- it should hold its value well

I think MK5 GTi values got hit badly in the last recession, loads bought them in the boom and the market was flooded with them.

I bought a one owner 06 model with 100kms on the clock for 6,700 in 2013, so was an 7 year old car. I kept it for around 18 months and sold it for €5,500 with 160kms on it. Thing is good ones are still worth in or around the same money today. A mate of mine paid €7,500 for an Ed30 recently.

MK7's are holding their value very well alright but we are living in different times. They are also cheaper to run, tax and insure than the older cars were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just cannot take to those led fog lights whatsoever, too much bling and they cheapen the car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Someone will have to come up with a mod for that lower grill, it'll only take one reasonably sized stone and your radiator is fu**ed.
    Cany fathom how that got green lit

Wailin wrote: »
    Just cannot take to those led fog lights whatsoever, too much bling and they cheapen the car imo.

Club sport looks better with the body colour fins at the front and not sure if it’s ditched those fog lights.
    VW don’t appear to have changed their prices on the website since the budget. I wonder if the gti has been affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    I calculate it'll be an extra €2211 in VRT and an extra €180 a year in road tax. The car stock is literally straddling the band, anything would push it over. I checked and adding the panoramic sunroof and the leather seats also pushed you up to 171g.

I'm thinking of going for a new GTI next but the stock alloys look really appalling (the GTI wheels have always looked bad but the Mk8 are the worst ever)and would have upgraded to the 19" but not interested if it triggers an additional VRT charge!
    I would be happy to take the GTD wheels .........wonder will Volkswagen make that an no cost option?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

When was the last set of nice standard GTI alloys? Surely they aren't completely braindead and know they look awful?

I'm thinking of going for a new GTI next but the stock alloys look really appalling (the GTI wheels have always looked bad but the Mk8 are the worst ever)and would have upgraded to the 19" but not interested if it triggers an additional VRT charge!
    I would be happy to take the GTD wheels .........wonder will Volkswagen make that an no cost option?

The factory dictates these things really so I’d be doubtful if the GTD wheel would be an option.
    I’d still like to see official confirmation / an updated product guide that confirms the new 2021 prices, VRT bands, etc as there still seems to be a lot of confusion and speculation.

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    When was the last set of nice standard GTI alloys? Surely they aren't completely braindead and know they look awful?

The 18" wheels on the mk7 were quite nice. They ruined them when they changed to the 7.5.

Advertisement