Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The 18" wheels on the mk7 were quite nice. They ruined them when they changed to the 7.5.

They really weren't though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

dar83 wrote: »
    They really weren't though. :(

A lot better than what's on offer today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

the original Monzas (even in 17" form) on the MK5 were the last truly lovely looking standard GTI wheel imo. They've made them a bit worse looking with every iteration since. The latest version is an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

A lot better than what's on offer today.

While true, it's not really saying much... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I think if I was buying a Mk8 GTI, I'd stick with the standard wheels and buy a set of Pretorias from one of the lads selling them online. Ok, you'll pay twice the price for them compared to Mk8 19"s but if that's driving up the road tax and VRT, you'd be massively winning.

• Advertisement

It was to be expected really. Looks at prices for A35s and RS3s. These will be a rich mans toy as opposed to a do it all performance car for a regular Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Price is a big step alright but I'm very surprised they have put torque vectoring system in place. That's a massive leap forward imo for the driving dynamics. Drift mode sounds novelty and for the PR points, but being able to dial out understeer would really change the way the R behaves.

Volkswizard posted an interesting video yesterday about it. The new head of the R division (now a separate entity from VW like BMW M and Audi Sport) used to be the head of VWs WRC program, also worked for McLaren F1 and previously Ford and was involved in the mk2 Focus RS, so he had a lot of input into how the new R was going to drive. They have turned up the wick substantially it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

62.5k is mental money surely?
    Add delivery and metallic and it’s over 64k.
    The R will be rare in the country at that money regardless of how good it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carsfan2 wrote: »
    62.5k is mental money surely?
    Add delivery and metallic and it’s over 64k.
    The R will be rare in the country at that money regardless of how good it is.

Aaaaaand over to the PCP thread we go! Its all about the monthlies now, if it works out 10% dearer than the last one per month people will still go for it. It will be interesting to see how brexit/Vat on imports works out though, because the UK PCP deals are probably where 30-40% of Irish R's originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

What was the 7.5 R starting at, low 50's? If so, that's a hell of a price hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Wailin wrote: »

Low-Mid 40s a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Golf prices are gone ballistic. Looking at the configurator for the GTD and over 47k with metallic paint and no options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Its Good news for 7R owners in terms of resale values holding strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Any Mk7 GTI owners here selling up?

In 2015 my R with a few options ticked was around 49k. They started at around 43.5k for a 3 door manual. They definitely crept up a good bit since, the run out R was around 50-51k with no options ticked afaik. Spec-for-spec there was always about €5K between a GTI-PP and an R. The trouble they had then, the Clubsport / TCR came along, so there was a glut of models all within only a few K of each other. I think the Clubsport and R were only a few hundred apart!

I would say MK7 GTI sales suffered in the shadow of the R - its telling that there's relatively very few used GTI's on carzone compared to R's.

There will be a few current R owners in for a serious shock when they go to trade up their 2-3 year old MK7 R for a new one! Many people might choose to go with a GTI.

From reading the blurb in the media, it does sound like VW are trying to pitch the new R as more of a niche/exclusive model, closer to the RS Audi's than the last iteration.

Yes, its all about the monthlies on a PCP these days but the monthly on a 65k car is going to be significantly more costly than it was for me on a 49k car 5 years ago. Unless VW pull some magic beans out and offer some serious finance deals (e.g. I can see them offering a 4 year PCP rather than 3 year), then I think this will be a small seller here.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes, its all about the monthlies on a PCP these days but the monthly on a 65k car is going to be significantly more costly than it was for me on a 49k car 5 years ago. Unless VW pull some magic beans out and offer some serious finance deals (e.g. I can see them offering a 4 year PCP rather than 3 year), then I think this will be a small seller here.

It all depends on the GMFV though right? Just doing the maths on it using a PCP calculator. Say the car is €65k and you do a 30% deposit which would be €19.5k, if you do a 3 year PCP, surely the car would be worth at least €30k after the 3 years? That would mean a monthly payment of €465 with the typical 1.9% that VW offer. Maybe I’m missing something obvious there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Wow, 62k+

I got a Mk7R in 2016 and having seen the forthcoming Mk8 and not being keen on the looks, I decided to trade it in for one of the "run-out" Mk7.5s in January this year. Was kinda regretting that decision a little in hindsight, given that I have only been able to do 3k kms in it all year. But now I think it's a good thing and I'll just keep it for a long time....

62k price bracket for the Mk8R puts it close to a Tesla Model 3 performance. If I were back choosing a car for 2021 I'd go for the Tesla ! I drove one last year and it was a seriously fun car to drive. Very different animal of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I wonder have VW been caught out by the new more punitive vrt rates in the budget for higher emissions cars and is this pushing the price up beyond where they would have ideally pitched it?
    Interestingly in the U.K. it is only expected to be price a little above a gti according to Autocar.
    60k plus is where I expected Audi to have the equivalent s3.
    They will need hefty deposit contributions and zero percent pcp to sell more than a handful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

Back in 2015 you could buy a new manual R for @ 45k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

SaintsYB wrote: »
    It all depends on the GMFV though right? Just doing the maths on it using a PCP calculator. Say the car is €65k and you do a 30% deposit which would be €19.5k, if you do a 3 year PCP, surely the car would be worth at least €30k after the 3 years? That would mean a monthly payment of €465 with the typical 1.9% that VW offer. Maybe I’m missing something obvious there though.

I think the GFV has always been around the 37-40% mark on VW stuff meaning 24k ish. Should be worth 30k but it's a huge sum of for 3 years if you have lost 13k deposit and 3 years of payments - 31500 before interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

In early 2018 a DSG 5 Dr R was €48,800 before options when I bought mine.

Here's the pricelist from the period (dated Nov 2017)...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no expert on these cars but I do recall the Mk7 Golf R at launch back in 2014 had a high enough starting price. VW then reduced the price of them in 2015. With that and offering very low PCP rates they sold a good few of them here. However prices have been climbing again since then. I'm guessing is that they want to put some daylight between the GTi and R models around pricing, not just performance. Isn't there a Mk8 GTi Clubsport coming? If so I'd imagine it will slot between both on the performance and price front.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on these cars but I do recall the Mk7 Golf R at launch back in 2014 had a high enough starting price. VW then reduced the price of them in 2015. With that and offering very low PCP rates they sold a good few of them here. However prices have been climbing again since then. I'm guessing is that they want to put some daylight between the GTi and R models around pricing, not just performance. Isn't there a Mk8 GTi Clubsport coming? If so I'd imagine it will slot between both on the performance and price front.

Yes- they knocked €9.5k off the cost of the R for early '15 and added nearly 3k of extra spec at the same time. I'd say the few that did buy them in 2014 at full whack €55k (or 60k with a few options) were fairly pi55ed off. I even read somewhere one buyer was considering legal action with VW over it!

http://www.autotrade.ie/index.php/large-vw-price-reduction-for-super-2015-golf-r/16926

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't it amazing what car manufacturers can do around pricing when they want to shift metal?

Yes- they knocked €9.5k off the cost of the R for early '15 and added nearly 3k of extra spec at the same time. I'd say the few that did buy them in 2014 at full whack €55k (or 60k with a few options) were fairly pi55ed off. I even read somewhere one buyer was considering legal action with VW over it!

http://www.autotrade.ie/index.php/large-vw-price-reduction-for-super-2015-golf-r/16926

There was one very very disgruntled guy who did take legal action but I'm not sure how far he got. He was even posting about it across social media at the time, commenting on every VW Ireland post calling them all sorts :D

I was talking to a guy from VW Ireland at the time and he was giving me all the low down. Essentially the decision to cut the prices / bump the specs came from Germany. They wanted to shift units, thats all that mattered - to get the brand to the top of the sales charts.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I wonder have VW been caught out by the new more punitive vrt rates in the budget for higher emissions cars and is this pushing the price up beyond where they would have ideally pitched it?

Yeah I think so. I've been back and forth with a VW dealer today - not for me - my Dad is looking to change up to a new Tiguan. The Tiguan R-Line DSG has been hit with an almost 3 grand price hike after the VRT changes.

I think the GFV has always been around the 37-40% mark on VW stuff meaning 24k ish. Should be worth 30k but it's a huge sum of for 3 years if you have lost 13k deposit and 3 years of payments - 31500 before interest.

yeah, GFV is usually around the 40% mark.

So say you want to put in the full 30% for a new R (which probably isn't wise in the first place), that's a ~19k deposit / trade in thats required. And a final GFV of about ~26k. Assuming a 1.9% APR (I doubt they will offer 0% on the performance stuff), that would work out at around €620 per month, which isn't as crazy as I thought it would be... How much equity you'd have after 3 years is the question. Probably in the region of 8-10k which leaves you well short if you're going on the merry go round again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

The 62k price is probably with drift and the Akrapovic exhaust as they will be extras no??

Advertisement