Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Looking at the UK website there's 4.5k between the 128ti and 135i. Probably equates to around 7k here. I think it's a no brainer to opt for the 135i in that case. The difference, on the other hand, between the gti and r is way more and puts the r out of reach for most. I reckon vw will lose a lot of customers who will go for the 135i instead.

135i sub €55k so with some few extras?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Friend of mine was pricing a 135. Not much offered in the way of a discount. €2k maybe.

Getting double that and a tiny bit more. Pricing is very competitive. Have to see how it compares to the 128ti price.
    Interesting to see what happens the 128 with a remap..I doubt bmw would approve though..

Augeo wrote: »
    135i sub €55k so with some few extras?

Yes with a good few extras. Fully loaded it's still coming in less than that 62k price mooted for the R, the interior and entertainment system would swing it for the BMW, think VW have gone overboard with the touch controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Getting double that and a tiny bit more. Pricing is very competitive. Have to see how it compares to the 128ti price.
    Interesting to see what happens the 128 with a remap..I doubt bmw would approve though..

Nice, that’s a decent discount.

Certainly looking like an interesting alternative. VW have lost the run of themselves with the pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was on the bmw site configurator there and the m135i starts @ just under 53k. I specked it up to the gills bar adaptive cruise control which seemed to remove some of the options packs and throw the price out of whack. Without ACC and with most other options checked it was coming in @ around €62k retail. That undercuts and makes the new Golf R expensive.

I left out the acc, I'd be happy enough with standard cruise, don't need to be told i'm gone over the white line or the car decides to slow down when I'm thinking of the opposite.
    Adaptive suspension, comfort access, harmon kardon sound system, auto parking, sunroof, mpack, adaptive lights and she's nearly good to go.

Adaptive cruise is nice, it’s one feature I missed a lot from the Golf, so I’d deffo pick that. Agree on any of those lane assist options though, I find that feature annoying any time I’ve experienced it. Auto parking is a gimmick too imo, especially on a small hatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Lane assist always feels like there's play in the steering as the car wanders around between the lines.

The problem now is, everything is in packs. So you want HK audio for example. You can’t spec that on its own. You have to get a 2.5k pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The 128ti is 44.5k on the road apparently and the m135i is just over 53k on the road so that’s a big enough jump. Spec wise the m135i has the full digital dials where they are an upgrade on the ti.
    Seats are different too. I prefer the look of the 128ti with the black grille and the model specific alloys over the cerium grey on the m135i.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Any lane assist or parking packs would be a massive no from me. Surround view cameras would be nice to avoid toys/kids lying around the house but IV not hit one yet...and you prob can't have that without the more gimmicky stuff. The idea there's a motor in the steering system must have some impact as mentioned above.

Here's a 2 series doing its things retracing it's steps in reverse last summer when I had it on loan.....I did that once and I'd say if I owned the car ten years I'd never use it again.

Are you thinking of changing to the 135i/128ti?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

carsfan2 wrote: »
    The 128ti is 44.5k on the road apparently and the m135i is just over 53k on the road so that’s a big enough jump. Spec wise the m135i has the full digital dials where they are an upgrade on the ti.
    Seats are different too. I prefer the look of the 128ti with the black grille and the model specific alloys over the cerium grey on the m135i.

M135i xdrive is 179 co2 so is going to get hammered going from 23% to 31% vrt. The 128ti is only 158 co2 so will see a smaller increase

I prefer the look of the 128ti with the black grille and the model specific alloys over the cerium grey on the m135i.

So do I but it's performance figures are way off. 128 0-60 is 6.3 sec compared to 4.8. You can always fit black grills afterwards.

Keep in mind that the xdrive system in the 1 is different to the traditional xdrive system and is a fwd system supported by the rear wheels when needed. May make no difference to some people but I'm guessing it would put me off considering one if I was looking. I haven't driven one but would say it has significant impact on the way the car feels. Performance will be the same, but that pull rather than push feeling will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Wailin wrote: »
    So do I but it's performance figures are way off. 128 0-60 is 6.3 sec compared to 4.8. You can always fit black grills afterwards.

Pretty much like the different between GTI and R.

I’m not sure about the red accents on the ti, a little bit naff but I’d reserve judgment till I see one. I’d say those parts are easily swapped out though. The standard alloys look quite nice and are fitted with decent tyres from factory.

Those red bits can be removed in the configurator i think.

Edit:

50580335261_e4ba7cde42_c.jpg

50580335266_9befb5e232_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I won't be changing for a couple of years and from what I've seen so far the only two cars on my radar at the moment are the 128ti or the Focus ST.

The Golfs face I can't warm to, the VRS just looks odd, the Leon to me is the best looking of them but everything being touch screen I know would annoy me no end.

I appreciate the appeal of the R and it's breadth of abilities, but for a hot hatch the limitations of FWD can add to the fun a bit, can see the 128ti doing well with idiots like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Wailin wrote: »
    Those red bits can be removed in the configurator i think.

Edit:

50580335261_e4ba7cde42_c.jpg

50580335266_9befb5e232_c.jpg

That colour doesn’t suit the car at all. Give me a black one with the red ascents

agreed.
    I have specced it myself a few times and would go black and keep the red accents.
    I reckon a good spec kept under 50k would be more than enough to spend. 65k odd is nuts for a hot hatch.
    You'll probably have more fun in a fiesta st anyway at less than 35k!

If ford wanted to sell one!

I can't see the 128ti on the configurator, is it there?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    If ford wanted to sell one!

I can't see the 128ti on the configurator, is it there?

It’s on the U.K. configurator which is the same spec as Irish cars only different pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I don't know I really can't warm to the shape of the new 1 series especially the front end. The previous model wasn't much of a looker either but I definitely prefer it to the new one.

The new Focus ST is an interesting one, they seem to be around the €45k mark for a lightly used one.

I'd prefer white myself to black. The lines show up a lot more, they just disappear with the black. I like the red on the side skirts but not the front, would prefer them in black. To be honest, it's not a handsome car but neither is the new golf. It's choosing the lesser of two evils really.

50580994137_eb6c6271d5_c.jpg

So has the ti just got normal analogue dials? I don’t see any option in the configurator for digital dials.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    So has the ti just got normal analogue dials? I don’t see any option in the configurator for digital dials.

Semi digital display.
    You have to spec live cockpit plus and gives digital display and a bigger central screen. The m135i has it as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I remember pricing the outgoing 1 series M Sport auto 136hp and it was a bit more than €40k, for a top spec model it was missing a lot of stuff the Golf has, pretty sure you had to add parking sensors and other basics like reversing camera. The monthlies were similar to an R, slightly higher deposit of course but not a huge amount. I think the APR was 8% or something mental. 1.9% should be interesting.

Interior looks well on the 1 series, I was never really a fan of them on the inside. M Sport will look well in the sea of SE diesels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I remember pricing the outgoing 1 series M Sport auto 136hp and it was a bit more than €40k, for a top spec model it was missing a lot of stuff the Golf has, pretty sure you had to add parking sensors and other basics like reversing camera. The monthlies were similar to an R, slightly higher deposit of course but not a huge amount. I think the APR was 8% or something mental. 1.9% should be interesting.

Interior looks well on the 1 series, I was never really a fan of them on the inside. M Sport will look well in the sea of SE diesels.
    thats no longer standard on the mk8 gtis either going by the document posted earlier

Advertisement