Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I remember pricing the outgoing 1 series M Sport auto 136hp and it was a bit more than €40k,..................The monthlies were similar to an R, slightly higher deposit of course ....................

A actual Golf R or some r spec thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

shanec1928 wrote: »
    thats no longer standard on the mk8 gtis either going by the document posted earlier

Yeah it's an extra in the spec sheet. A cheap extra, but still should be included. The US has been mandating reversing cameras for ages now, every single car has to come with one.
    It feels like previous launches, people who buy the first year will be shafted by having to pay for a load of features that'll come in a "€202 Technology Pack" next year. Just look at some of the very early MK7 GTIs on the road with halogens and no parking sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Augeo wrote: »
    A actual Golf R or some r spec thing?

An actual R. I don't remember the exact numbers as it was probably 2 years ago but whatever BMW's finance was at the time meant the monthly payment was huge.

As an example, the current 118i with a few options at €42,500 and a 30% deposit (€12,762) is €363/pm at 1.9% and €500 at 8.9% (37mo, 20,000km). The final payment is quite high so monthlies are lower and equity is questionable but 1.9% is a big difference.

The M135i with a few options is around €55k, still expensive but a lot less than €62k and nicer interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I wonder if the BMW pricing is pre budget changes whereas the VW is post budget, so maybe the gap will be smaller come January?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, you could be right. It wouldn't be unheard of now for pricing or finance rates on the BMW site for incorrect or out of date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I wonder if the BMW pricing is pre budget changes whereas the VW is post budget, so maybe the gap will be smaller come January?

Friend of mine is pricing up a 135i and he said the prices on the current configurator are broadly accurate, although it still seems to be showing the NEDC emissions rather than WLTP. The UK configurator shows the WLTP figures.

Similar to VW, spec'ing larger wheels screws with Co2 on BMW's too, pushing the car up into the next VRT bracket.

However it looks like the 128 ti is comfortably well under 170g - it's actually in the lower bracket again at under 160g, whereas the GTI is tipping over 170g with 19's!

The GTI is definitely a bit better spec'd as standard though. You can very easily add 6k+ on options with the BMW just to bring it up to approx parity with the VW, particularly as you are forced to select expensive "packs" even if you only really want one item in said pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

BMW made a boo boo on the pricing due to the emissions, M135i is 6k more than it was last week.
    Didn't have to take the packs on the 135i but it forces you to take them on the 128ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Friend of mine is pricing up a 135i and he said the prices on the current configurator are broadly accurate, although it still seems to be showing the NEDC emissions rather than WLTP. The UK configurator shows the WLTP figures.

Similar to VW, spec'ing larger wheels screws with Co2 on BMW's too, pushing the car up into the next VRT bracket.

However it looks like the 128 ti is comfortably well under 170g - it's actually in the lower bracket again at under 160g, whereas the GTI is tipping over 170g with 19's!

The GTI is definitely a bit better spec'd as standard though. You can very easily add 6k+ on options with the BMW just to bring it up to approx parity with the VW, particularly as you are forced to select expensive "packs" even if you only really want one item in said pack.

Had a quick look at the specs and I think the Beemer is similar if even better spec'd - heated seats standard, half leather. Golf has adaptive cruise but don't think it has a lot else?

Your pal going ahead with one? Are there even any to test drive I wonder?
    Spec wise it seems to me to be dependent on your priorities whether golf is better or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

BMW made a boo boo on the pricing due to the emissions, M135i is 6k more than it was last week.
    Didn't have to take the packs on the 135i but it forces you to take them on the 128ti.

The 135i starts at €52,750 on the configurator. There's no way it was 46-47k last week.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    The 135i starts at €52,750 on the configurator. There's no way it was 46-47k last week.

It’s been at that for a while
    I’m guessing it’s 58k now post budget.

Your pal going ahead with one? Are there even any to test drive I wonder?
    Spec wise it seems to me to be dependent on your priorities whether golf is better or not.

He's close to going for it yes. He had a 235i out for an extended test, so that gave him a fair idea of what it would be like.

The Golf has the following kit which, depending on your priorities, costs a fair whack to spec on the BMW as you need to spec at least 2-3 packs and other bits and pieces:
    - full digital dash
    - keyless entry
    - adaptive LED lights
    - adaptive cruise
    - lane assist
    - lumbar support
    - split rear seat / load through hatch
    - privacy glass

The Golf doesn't have heated seats but thats just a ~ €300 winter pack.

I've had confirmation from VW that the 19" wheel upgrade does not bring the new Clubsport into the higher VRT band. If you ticked every option available, it does not exceed 170g.

I've had confirmation from VW that the 19" wheel upgrade does not bring the new Clubsport into the higher VRT band. If you ticked every option available, it does not exceed 170g.

You tempted?
    Any idea what sort of deals are on offer?

You tempted?
    Any idea what sort of deals are on offer?

I am and I am not. I'm in the fortunate position of not needing a car right now or certainly in no rush to have one so I'll think about it for a bit.

I didn't get into talking about deals at all yet, just that the PCP APR is currently at 1.9%.

Well I am guessing that there will be 3k plus discount at least available on the VW.
    I always found it harder to get much from BMW in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

What type of warranty do you get with VW, 3 yrs?

Wailin wrote: »
    What type of warranty do you get with VW, 3 yrs?

Yes, typically 3 years across the board afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How much is the Clubsport here?

How is the Clubsport here?

What do you mean?
    How much? 53k ish

• Advertisement

What do you mean?
    How much? 53k ish

Yeah about that. It's really the replacement for the PP and not the limited edition that the CS was in the previous iteration. It's probably the one to go for and the one that would be more sought after in the eventual used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

It's really the replacement for the PP and not the limited edition that the CS was

Yeah, that's probably the best way to look at it.

Back to the BMW 128 Ti for a moment, I had my friend who's looking at the 135i enquire about the pricing on this too. It's definitely not the cheaper-than-the-GTI option that the press releases would have you believe! Before you tick a single option, its currently 44k + delivery. But there's a "VRT price increase" of over 4k from January, so that brings the car up to about 49.5k before you pick the paint...

Back to the BMW 128 Ti for a moment, I had my friend who's looking at the 135i enquire about the pricing on this too. It's definitely not the cheaper-than-the-GTI option that the press releases would have you believe! Before you tick a single option, its currently 44k + delivery. But there's a "VRT price increase" of over 4k from January, so that brings the car up to about 49.5k before you pick the paint...
    That’s bad news.
    Has the m135i gone up a few grand too so?
    The vrt changes are doing what they were designed for I suppose and pushing nice petrol cars off the menu.

That’s bad news.
    Has the m135i gone up a few grand too so?
    The vrt changes are doing what they were designed for I suppose and pushing nice petrol cars off the menu.

I don't have exact figures on the m135 but its ballpark 6.5k more than the Ti. So the gap between them isn't huge when you consider the extra power, xDrive, slightly better spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Would the amount that performance Golfs seem to be stolen or have parts stolen from them put anyone off buying one? I'm looking to get either an R or GTI or M140i but the amount it seems to be posted about on the Autostadt Facebook group is a bit off putting.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Would the amount that performance Golfs seem to be stolen or have parts stolen from them put anyone off buying one? I'm looking to get either an R or GTI or M140i but the amount it seems to be posted about on the Autostadt Facebook group is a bit off putting.

Yeah its off-putting, but I haven't noticed many reports of this kind of thing in recent times. The BMW would certainly fly under the radar a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Yeah its off-putting, but I haven't noticed many reports of this kind of thing in recent times. The BMW would certainly fly under the radar a lot more.

I know you had a few incidents Joe with the R. I guess it’s a thing where it maybe seems more common because it’s posted about a fair bit but people aren’t posted about the absolutely normal ownership experiences where nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

A lot depends on your location and where the car would be parked.

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I know you had a few incidents Joe with the R. I guess it’s a thing where it maybe seems more common because it’s posted about a fair bit but people aren’t posted about the absolutely normal ownership experiences where nothing happened.

There was definitely a spate of incidents around that time. I have a colleague who had a run of the mill diesel Golf have his bumpers stolen over night. It does seem to have quietened down a bit since then.

Would I consider a flashy Golf if I still lived in a house with an unsecured open driveway? No.

Advertisement