Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I live at the end of a very quiet cul-de-sac in Waterford city. Open driveway but you can’t see what’s in the driveway until you’re in front of it because of trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I bought a Cupra for that very reason and well...didn't work. Had scrotes sniffing around the place. Was going to sell but just upped security instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Like Joe I don't think I'd own an R unless it was well secured, definitely not on an open driveway in an estate. You are a sitting duck. I've even been warned by the Gardai about my own one.

A friend in on his 3rd GTi ........ current one is a 201 reg ........ lives about a mile from Cork City....... cars parked on drive, don't think he has a gate tbh. Never had a problem (yet). Just to give an example of someone who hasn't had issues in years of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yes, for all the hype over theft i dont think i'd let it it put me off buying one.

Sure some do get robbed, that's true, but i'd say statistically for the amount of GTi's and R's out there, the % that get robbed is microscopic.

And sure even if you did get up one morning and find it isn't where you left it, that is awful and you'll have to go without it and go through the hassle of a claim and all the likes which is **** but i think the fear of the boiling kettle yarn and all is a load of rubbish.

• Advertisement

Yes, for all the hype over theft i dont think i'd let it it put me off buying one.

Sure some do get robbed, that's true, but i'd say statistically for the amount of GTi's and R's out there, the % that get robbed is microscopic.

And sure even if you did get up one morning and find it isn't where you left it, that is awful and you'll have to go without it and go through the hassle of a claim and all the likes which is **** but i think the fear of the boiling kettle yarn and all is a load of rubbish.

Tell that to the people that have gone through it. The gangs that are into this stuff are scum. Now it hasn't put me off owning one. But when you have something like that outside, you are a little more paranoid than you would be if you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I didn't have the car robbed. Thats beside the point. It was knowing that they were outside my house, scoping me (and my family) out that rattled me and its hard to describe just how unsettling that is to someone who's never experienced it. For the most part they do not want confrontation so at the merest hint of being found out they will make a run for it. That doesn't make it any less unsettling though.

If you'd seen where I lived at the time you'd think it was the last place you'd have that kind of aggravation, but as the Gardai advised me, they know the car is here now and its relatively easy to target it, so they'll keep coming back.

I have a much more secure home setup these days but the experience would still play on my mind if I was buying anything "interesting" again.

I'd be happier in an estate with something interesting tbh then in a house with good security, gates etc that's off the beaten track. Just my view on it. I'd be thinking about worst case scenario rather then trying to mitigate the thing being stolen.

Anyway, no one robs Sorentos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd be happier in an estate with something interesting tbh then in a house with good security, gates etc that's off the beaten track. Just my view on it. I'd be thinking about worst case scenario rather then trying to mitigate the thing being stolen.

Anyway, no one robs Sorentos :pac:
    if i recall right that was joes situation at the time.

shanec1928 wrote: »

yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm in a new estate and have on street parking. Those with a driveway have just that, no gardens. It's all very open and exposed. I'm just off the main road so anyone looking can see my car. There's apartments across the road so lots of people coming and going and a fair bit of car movement so nothing necessarily suspicious about people being around at night.

It's a big change from living at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. I was on the fence about getting a hot hatch due to running costs but the security aspect sort of made that decision for me. I'd rather not have to worry about it. Sure the risk of something actually being stolen is low but my next car will be long term and there has already been a number of suspected targeted thefts in the area.

I've seen probably four Rs around the city, three on a fairly regular basis and two M2s and they aren't being touched so I don't know. Probably just unlucky to be one of the ones to have it happen if it does which is very unfortunate.

shanec1928 wrote: »

No doubt..... We've a holiday home in a remote enough spot.... I'd not fancy folk hanging around there. In an urban area I'd be less worried.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I've seen probably four Rs around the city, three on a fairly regular basis and two M2s and they aren't being touched so I don't know. Probably just unlucky to be one of the ones to have it happen if it does which is very unfortunate.

Way I look at it is if they want the car they'll have it. But you can't let scum dictate your decisions.

All you can do is make the deterrents obvious - gates, lights, dogs, cameras, alarms. None of those are going to stop anyone if they want it but might make them think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The new Leon Cupra is now up on the Seat website as is the new Formentor.
    it seems to be only available as plug in hybrid at about 45k. Not sure if that is pre/post grant.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    it seems to be only available as plug in hybrid at about 45k. Not sure if that is pre/post grant.

I threw a few options on to match the usual Golf spec which brought it to €47,000. With grants that would be €39,500 plus delivery which is quite good. I wonder what the APR is, Seat are usually good with that. 4.9% on the Golf eHybrid and GTE is steep. GTE with a few options is around €43k post grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Saw that - do like the Formentor and it's priced better than I expected - would consider one but not sure if I'd get bored of the higher driving position fairly quickly or not

Cupra Formentor 4Drive is coming in under band E, which means tax of €790 (up from €750) for 2021. Might be a sign of things to come for the new R. I think they'll have to keep it out of the F (€1,250) bracket if they want to sell any in decent numbers.

EDIT just noticed it's 175g which is €600 under WLTP. Not bad!

1.5tsi Formentor on the Cupra site? Didn't think they'd do that to the brand right off the bat.

1.5tsi Formentor on the Cupra site? Didn't think they'd do that to the brand right off the bat.

Yeah I’m amazed. Thought Cupra was the performance brand?
    I like the look of the Formentor though.

• Advertisement

I assumed it would be the more powerful engines and the rest would have a seat badge. Takes away big time from the higher performance models.

Kinda defeats the purpose of the brand doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it just a Paddy special?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is it just a Paddy special?

Nope, it’s on the Spanish website too

It's funny because on the Cupra Wikipedia page it says "In 2018, SEAT created the Cupra brand as its independent high-performance branch and officially SEAT Sport was replaced by Cupra Racing." I'm fairly baffled like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Kinda defeats the purpose of the brand doesn't it?

I think it's simply to get sales volume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwdhOrFzTY

German road test of the clubsport.
    I much prefer the front of this over regular gti and it loses the horrible fog lights. lovely colour ,suits it well and seats look great.
    I don't speak german but reckon he likes it!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwdhOrFzTY

German road test of the clubsport.
    I much prefer the front of this over regular gti and it loses the horrible fog lights. lovely colour ,suits it well and seats look great.
    I don't speak german but reckon he likes it!.

I'm not keen on how the grill where those silly fogs would be is open/vented on one side and closed on the other side. That might look odd. The seats look OK but nothing too special imo... surely they could have put a "CS" or "GTI" logo on there somewhere! They're actually very similar to the art-velours seat option from the 7.5.

I got some more info on Irish pricing too. I am told that the GFV on the CS is set at €22,200. APR 1.9%. That's it. No other offers or gimmicks (free tech packs or the likes) or deposit contributions. For a ballpark idea, with 10k deposit you're at about €600 p/m for 36 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When's it out for delivery Joe, starting at 53k?

Not sure if anyone has used the new vw software but I was watching volkswizards review of the mk8 gti, there's one really annoying feature on the new cars and it's lane assist that doesn't hold with your driver profile, it has to be turned off everytime you get in the car, I've got it in my car and again today on a skinny road it kept fighting with me trying to shove me to the ditch, it's about 5 clicks to turn off as it's buried in the menus, if reviewers are complaining about it and there not driving it full time you know it's a pain.
    Plenty of requests on the ID forum asking VW to sort it out in the next update, it's a dangerous feature.
    It's not a something you get used to it's super annoying.

• Advertisement

When's it out for delivery Joe, starting at 53k?
    Available to order now AFAIK. It's 52,590 including delivery. Add 19's (essential) and paint and that's about 54.5k.
    Not sure if anyone has used the new vw software but I was watching volkswizards review of the mk8 gti, there's one really annoying feature on the new cars and it's lane assist that doesn't hold with your driver profile, it has to be turned off everytime you get in the car, I've got it in my car and again today on a skinny road it kept fighting with me trying to shove me to the ditch, it's about 5 clicks to turn off as it's buried in the menus, if reviewers are complaining about it and there not driving it full time you know it's a pain.
    Plenty of requests on the ID forum asking VW to sort it out in the next update, it's a dangerous feature.
    It's not a something you get used to it's super annoying.

Experienced it briefly in my test of the ID3. I wasn't keen on it either.

Advertisement