Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I didn't mind it when I tested the new Leon recently. The road wasn't particularly narrow though, so that may be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

There should be a good amount of equity after three years at that gfv I reckon. It should be worth 30k ish surely?
    It’s an expensive car though no doubt.
    You’d need a couple more options too probably.
    If your talking figures Joe you must be a bit interested. I assume some discount is available?
    I like it but certainly it’s not the value proposition it used to be.

Drunk monkey, are you not in id3 now?
    How’s it going?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I didn't mind it when I tested the new Leon recently. The road wasn't particularly narrow though, so that may be a factor.

After a few thousand km you'll learn to hate it, tons of complaints about it on the ID3 forums, it's fine if you remember to turn it off every time, it's when you forget it can really catch you out especially when cornering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    There should be a good amount of equity after three years at that gfv I reckon. It should be worth 30k ish surely?
    If your talking figures Joe you must be a bit interested. I assume some discount is available?

How’s it going?

Yeah, there's discount alright for sure, I didn't talk serious about it yet tbh, but without trying there was a reasonable discount. I'm sure there would be a bit more if I indicated I was serious. I am interested but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger at the moment due to other commitments.

I think after 3 years the car would comfortably have that 10k equity again so if you look at it that way it isn't too bad a proposition.

I was also told of course that VAT goes up again in Feb so they're be yet another price increase.

How’s it going?

Should have kept my GTI, ID is a good car to drive, comfy and it's got a bit of get up and go, range is no where near claimed though. It's probably going to have to go, would be suitable for a lot of drivers just not me with my milage.

I see VW are still trolling themselves they've a video up of the ID beating MK8 GTI in a 0 - 100km sprint.

That lane assist is a deal breaker though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

7200 every year for three years though before you put fuel into it, or discs on the windscreen. Id find the new car smell would wear off pretty quickly on that. I don't see the appeal at all tbh.

In fairness, depreciation is prob not as bad as other cars in the price bracket as a GTi second hand is desirable. Even more so if few people buy them. If gtis are your thing, and plenty of people can afford them then happy days, but feck me it's a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

How’s it going?

I'd imagine VW are concerned about the market for performance petrols under a green influenced government and a probable recession. I'd imagine they're erring on the side of caution more than they previously had

I'd imagine VW are concerned about the market for performance petrols under a green influenced government and a probable recession. I'd imagine they're erring on the side of caution more than they previously had

If they build a GTID or whatever it's going to be called it'll probably end the petrol car, they've a big hurdle to jump through and that's the battery weight and range. To get GTI range out of an ID you'd need a 110kWh battery minimum, that's about half a ton or more and would cost a fortune.
    That extra weight would rule it out as a hot hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

vintagevrs wrote: »
    7200 every year for three years though before you put fuel into it, or discs on the windscreen. Id find the new car smell would wear off pretty quickly on that. I don't see the appeal at all tbh.

In fairness, depreciation is prob not as bad as other cars in the price bracket as a GTi second hand is desirable. Even more so if few people buy them. If gtis are your thing, and plenty of people can afford them then happy days, but feck me it's a lot of money.

That's after throwing €10k as a deposit but I suppose you'll get that back after the three years if you look at it that way for the sake of man maths. €600 a month is manageable for a lot of people. I'm paying just over €500 for a 5 year old one that I bought with a traditional HP less the equity that was taken off my trade in.

Yours should hold it's value well Hooch....I think the R and M140i are cars you could stick in the shed when your finished with them, they'll go down but back up in price.

Don't usually watch POV videos but the m140i is mental, Definitely need your no claims bonus insured with one.
    Nice one popped up on done deal.. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2017-bmw-m140i-m-sport-plus-shadow-auto/2643671

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yours should hold it's value well Hooch....I think the R and M140i are cars you could stick in the shed when your finished with them, they'll go down but back up in price.

I've no notion of selling it and I'm just after building a shed this year so that's where it'll be for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Arteon shooting brake R line phev for similar money to a club sport. Completely different car but appealing all the same. It looks nice, which I can’t say the same about the Golf. Pity there are no other petrol options on the Arteon (aside from the R)

I don’t actually know what I want so leaving it for a bit to think about it. I’m a big fan of the new CLA and that’s likely where I will end up - CLA 250 AMG line

moleyv wrote: »
    Arteon shooting brake R line phev for similar money to a club sport. Completely different car but appealing all the same. It looks nice, which I can’t say the same about the Golf. Pity there are no other petrol options on the Arteon (aside from the R)

I don’t actually know what I want so leaving it for a bit to think about it. I’m a big fan of the new CLA and that’s likely where I will end up - CLA 250 AMG line

Did you get a quotation on the Clubsport Moley? I think you said you were going to...

Yeah the Arteon is a very good looking machine but a fairly uninspiring engine lineup unless you go all the way up to the full fat R, which will undoubtedly be mental money.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Did you get a quotation on the Clubsport Moley? I think you said you were going to...

Yeah the Arteon is a very good looking machine but a fairly uninspiring engine lineup unless you go all the way up to the full fat R, which will undoubtedly be mental money.

No I didn’t get a quote. Well I had an initial quote on what they would allow for my car which was a little low for the cost to change, just a starting point before any serious discussion.

I felt I was a bit too hot in my interest (personally, not with the dealer) so decided to cool off for a bit and think it over more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Has any pricing been released on the new golf R of yet for ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

5500 wrote: »
    Has any pricing been released on the new golf R of yet for ireland?

I've been told over €61K

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

For anyone interested you can get an idea of GTi finance deals on the VW calculator here:

https://www1.volkswagen.ie/finance

Obviously it doesn’t take account of any dealer related discount/contribution

Badger2009 wrote: »
    For anyone interested you can get an idea of GTi finance deals on the VW calculator here:

https://www1.volkswagen.ie/finance

Obviously it doesn’t take account of any dealer related discount/contribution

There's no deposit contributions I'm told, but that could change I guess.

With PCP the minimum deposit is best to illustrate the real cost of motoring IMO.... You'd expect to have at least that deposit as equity in 3 years time.......

On the Road Price €48,490.00
    Deposit Percentage 10%
    Deposit €4,849.00
    Amount Financed €43,641.00
    Period 36 Months
    Final Payment €19,612.00
    Excess Mileage €0.06
    Delivery Charge €800.00
    Monthly payments of €714.46
    APR 1.9%
    Total Cost of Credit €1,841.56
    Monthly Payment €714.46

Augeo wrote: »
    With PCP the minimum deposit is best to illustrate the real cost of motoring IMO.... You'd expect to have at least that deposit as equity in 3 years time.......

On the Road Price €48,490.00
    Deposit Percentage 10%
    Deposit €4,849.00
    Amount Financed €43,641.00
    Period 36 Months
    Final Payment €19,612.00
    Excess Mileage €0.06
    Delivery Charge €800.00
    Monthly payments of €714.46
    APR 1.9%
    Total Cost of Credit €1,841.56
    Monthly Payment €714.46

Yeah I certainly wouldn't go with a full 30% deposit again, its a bit of a false economy, but I think around 20% is optimal.

• Advertisement

There will be deposit contributions 0% finance and free option packs etc for 212 in July I’m guessing if they don’t shift enough in the first three months of next year.

There will be deposit contributions 0% finance and free option packs etc for 212 in July I’m guessing if they don’t shift enough in the first three months of next year.

Great minds :D

I'm hearing that there's been steady interest though.

On that finance calculator linked to there's a 4k difference between the RRP of the manual and dsg, that's not correct?

On that finance calculator linked to there's a 4k difference between the RRP of the manual and dsg, that's not correct?

Product guide is really the "source of truth" as the configurators / finance calculators often have errors, but yeah, in product guide its:

manual 245bhp: €45,350
    DSG 245bhp: €49,385
    DSG 300bhp: €52,590

Must be a typo couldn't be that big a gap for dsg.

I see on the configurator there's an option for park assist that includes lane assist, wondering if you don't tick that option will there be no lane assist, all hope isn't lost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Bobby04 wrote: »
    I've been told over €61K

Presuming thats base before any spec added? I wonder how extras are going to push up the vrt/tax with wltp. Is there likely to be one in a dealers this side of Christmas?

I've popped off a few mails but had no replies about it of yet

5500 wrote: »
    Presuming thats base before any spec added? I wonder how extras are going to push up the vrt/tax with wltp. Is there likely to be one in a dealers this side of Christmas?

I've popped off a few mails but had no replies about it of yet

I think you're wasting your time popping off unsolicited emails to a dealer... better to call one or two first and establish direct contact with a salesman.

Spec a couple of the options I would like and the club sport is 55/56k which is nuts surely?

Did anyone get a good idea of likely deliveries. I was told April but it was clearly just a guess

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    Did anyone get a good idea of likely deliveries. I was told April but it was clearly just a guess

8-10 weeks from order is typical.

Advertisement