Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

2x identical cars, you dont know the owner of either. One has a full main dealer/ full Daltons history, the other has had the owner self servicing it. Which would you buy?

I think the ad is mis-leading you. It’s had regular maintenance/checkups carried out by Goldens/Daltons. Personally I would value that far more than a main dealer stamp. If he’s made a mistake, he’s over-shared the level of care he’s put into his car, as it clearly has people adding 2 and 2 and getting 7, but that level of detail is generally appreciated by someone who’s looking for a car like that - imo. The Dynamat / waxol thing wouldn’t be for me either but it’s something a lot of old school enthusiasts used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We may agree to differ, opinions are like arseholes, we all have one :).

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

I certainly wouldn't say it's "rubbish" to suggest that most people don't want to buy a 3 year old car that has had DIY work done on it, regardless of how easy it was. They would have to explain it down the road when they want to sell the car. The discussion originated from someone wondering why it was still for sale, I think the points raised are completely fair, and answer the question to some extent. The fact that it's a mate's car and you know how he treats his cars means nothing to the people viewing his ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What's oil the oil interval change with a main dealer history? Genuine question, I have no idea. On my own car it's like 20k miles.

If I was looking at two cars and one had main dealer only, which basically means the bare minimum as per the on board computer Vs one that has independent garage looking after it and interim fluid/filter by the owner I would see that as a plus. Ppf and ceramic chat also tells me fussy owner. Wax and sound dead stuff I agree, would prob put me off a little.

The car is out of warranty so full dealer history less important to me. I don't know the owner either, but if I wanted one of those cars I'd take a look at that one 110.

As said above....each to their own.

I think the owner could tweak the ad a little to appeal to more people though. No more so than people criticising an ad I put up and I took what they said on board.

I'd also have that over an R, which I think was the gist of the original post which referenced the ad.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes.

Some of the stuff posted in the last few posts is garbage tbh.
    The car is A1. I’m cringing reading the posts on here, in what’s usually an enthusiasts thread, having a pop at it.
    I think the ad is mis-leading you.....

I think the fact you know the chap is clouding your judgement.... Folk looking at the add have just the add to go on.

Referring to folks posts as rubbish etc makes you look a clown.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I think the fact you know the chap is clouding your judgement.... Folk looking at the add have just the add to go on.

Referring to folks posts as rubbish etc makes you look a clown.

Honestly think you’re completely out of order, but I’ll leave it at that. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

So the car had a service from Volkswagen at 9,000km. Car is at 35,000km now. Get the car serviced immediately after purchasing and again a year later and it magically has a full Volkswagen service history. Bin any of the DIY receipts. Job done.

Completely agree that all the DIY stuff takes away from the add and the seller went way overboard mentioning every little thing he’s done. It sounds like a young fella selling a kitted 06 Jetta or something but you shouldn’t let stuff like that get in the way of buying a car you like the look of

Honestly think you’re completely out of order, but I’ll leave it at that. Pointless.

Leave it at that? After referring to my posts as rubbish & cringe worthy. You should have left it a good while ago IMO.

Leave it at that? After referring to my posts as rubbish & cringe worthy. You should have left it a good while ago IMO.

You are the one that got personal - from the outset with your sarky remarks about fan clubs and circle jerking VAG fan boys. And there is a difference between suggesting someone's posts are rubbish and calling someone a clown.

Look, I was over the top with the garbage remark, obviously it upset you, but all this petty nit picking over the service details in an enthusiast-owned cherished car is ridiculous. There are people who will appreciate the work he's put into that car. You aren't one of them, thats fine. Imo, his biggest stumbling block to selling it is finance. Its tricky at that 30k+ level.

Yes.

Some of the stuff posted in the last few posts is garbage tbh.
    You're obviously referring to my posts, I'm obviously not reckoning my own posts are garbage. Quite surprised anyone would see them as rubbish though..... Bit of VAG boy circle jerking perhaps.

The add suggests there's been loads of DIY work done by someone who isn't a mechanic. Most folk buying 30k cars don't want one that's been tinkered with IMO :)

No VW garage will offer any goodwill to any future owner of that car should there be a problem.
    You are the one that got personal - from the outset with your sarky remarks about fan clubs and circle jerking VAG fan boys. And there is a difference between suggesting someone's posts are rubbish and calling someone a clown.

Look, I was over the top with the garbage remark, obviously it upset you, but all this petty nit picking over the service details in an enthusiast-owned cherished car is ridiculous. There are people who will appreciate the work he's put into that car. You aren't one of them, thats fine. Imo, his biggest stumbling block to selling it is finance. Its tricky at that 30k+ level.

The outset was you referring to my posts as garbage..... My response followed.

My initial comments which irked folk...
    It's private seller. Car is modified.... Last two oil services were DIY so little hope of VW goodwill going forward should something serious go wrong.
    Two sets of plugs installed DIY also. No doubt there's no problem with the work but folk like FMVWSH on these.....

20026 Km (04/06/19)
    30420 Km (29/02/20)
    • Pollen filter 25598 Km (06/10/19)
    • New varta battery supplied by Des Golden’s – April 2020.....

New battery is a weird one IMO

Preventive Maintenance
    • All door speakers sealed
    • Rear bumper vents sealed
    • Boot grommet replaced with uprated version
    • Rear & underbody sealed with waxyol

Not many people with €30k+ will be tempted to buy with that rapsheet IMO ..... That car can't be described as an unmolested example and that's what most folk with 30k want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Ignoring the fact that it's a Clubsport, a car like this which has had work such as this done is going to attract only a certain type of buyer.

If anyone watches Obsessed Garage on YouTube, you'll regularly see that he does all his own modification installs. He's not a mechanic yet he has no trouble finding buyers for the cars he's selling. I don't see the issue with him doing the work himself and it not having a FVWSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Handbags at dawn lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Seen that car a while ago with a lot of the mods on, different wheels and stuff. Think I took a pic at the time, nicest MK7/7.5 I've seen. Incredibly well done in fairness to the chap.

I think the advert takes away from the car. Mention a full history - most people interested will be happy seeing that. Mention the rest when they're in front of you. The details aren't even in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

I don't think many enthusiasts would reckon a 3 year old, 30k car without a dealer/garage service history looks a good buy. DIY oil changes.... DIY spark plug changes.... DIY soundproofing & then some waxoyl to seal the deal. But the owner goes to a garage for a battery.....
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but just on a point of order, a new battery needs coding. I went to a well regarded auto electrics shop in Galway and he recommended that I just go to the main dealer as it was just less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Are there many people here who have had a Revo remap installed on their GTI/R? I'm interested to know what people's experiences have been and would they recommend it.

I'm considering it but have concerns over engine reliability and longevity in the long-term. Also concerned about drivability, would the Stage 1 remap on a GTI PP make it less drivable? I don't want to end up with a car that wheelspins everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Revo software is more like OEM+, a lot of R&D goes into their software. It's not designed to be spikey or lumpy in the power delivery. I've driven a PP GTi with the Revo map and it was very impressive.

My only concern would be a your clutch if it is a manual, it will probably bring on slip. I know on the Golf R a clutch upgrade is pretty much essential if considering remapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Golf 7R DSG, with Revo Stage 1 here. Its worth about +50bhp on Irish fuel. Absolutely the best value for money upgrade you can do on the car. It transforms the acceleration from 3k revs onwards. Didnt notice much of a difference below that (but I suppose there is). Mine was done with Daltons. Had Engine and DSG tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Golf 7R DSG, with Revo Stage 1 here. Its worth about +50bhp on Irish fuel. Absolutely the best value for money upgrade you can do on the car. It transforms the acceleration from 3k revs onwards. Didnt notice much of a difference below that (but I suppose there is). Mine was done with Daltons. Had Engine and DSG tune.
    How much did that set you back if you don't mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Not sure how much it costs on the R, but I got a Revo stage 1 map done on an Audi TTS a few years ago now for about €550 from memory. Revo also have a 20% sale on software upgrades until 12th December(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Not sure how much it costs on the R, but I got a Revo stage 1 map done on an Audi TTS a few years ago now for about €550 from memory. Revo also have a 20% sale on software upgrades until 12th December(?)

Was that DSG and engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The engine remap is down to €620 including vat for the sale. Not sure on DSG tune.

Thanks for the answers lads.

I can see how the extra power wouldn't be an issue in an R, being 4wd, but as the GTI is FWD, I want to avoid it becoming unwieldy. I recently drove an i30N and was surprised at how much wheelspin there was through first to third in damp conditions. My GTI puts its power down very cleanly in similar conditions.

For the people who have remapped in the past, were there any negative mechanical complications or failures linked to the remaps? Hooch mentioned a potential clutch upgrade for a manual, just wondering if the extra power negatively impacts the engine over longer periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Killinator wrote: »
    Was that DSG and engine?

Just engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Killinator wrote: »
    How much did that set you back if you don't mind?

I think Engine and DSG was 800-ish. Best to contact Daltons. George Dalton has a profile on here and you could probably PM him and he will advise on best route and costs, or just call them tomorrow. Very obliging folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

eljono wrote: »

I can see how the extra power wouldn't be an issue in an R, being 4wd, but as the GTI is FWD, I want to avoid it becoming unwieldy. I recently drove an i30N and was surprised at how much wheelspin there was through first to third in damp conditions. My GTI puts its power down very cleanly in similar conditions.

For the people who have remapped in the past, were there any negative mechanical complications or failures linked to the remaps? Hooch mentioned a potential clutch upgrade for a manual, just wondering if the extra power negatively impacts the engine over longer periods.

Possibly down to tyres too? I recently changed the rear tyres on a 330d. Previously had Michelin pilot sport 4s on there, that were past their limit. I knew they were good tyres but doubted if it was a bit of a placebo too. Ireland is relatively cold and wet at the minute and I thought the PS4s were probably not in their natural habitat. New set of Pirelli something or other went on a couple weeks ago and by comparison they are terrible. I can easily get the TC light blinking and power being cut in situations it didn't happen before. Maybe just the model of pirellis I got were shíte. Makes the school run a little more interesting though.

eljono wrote: »

One thing to consider is the resale. You only have to look back a few pages to see posts from various members about a car with a revo tune, it does narrow your customer base come resale time.

I specifically remember two posters on here (GTI & R) over the moon with their revo maps but it took them ages to shift their cars when similar cars without the map at similar prices were selling really fast no bother.

Something to bear in mind

That's a good point. The question then I guess is why, is it that remaps are potentially damaging to an engine? Or could it be insurance concerns? Or perhaps is a remapped car considered to be driven harder than a standard version?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

GTD has been delayed until March incase anyone was ordering one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L-M you might know if you don't select this option does it mean the car doesn't come with lane assist? Just wondering is there any way to get the car without it.

Parallel 'Park Assist'
    RRP € 113.87
    RRP € 113.87, ,

Adaptive cruise control (with "follow-to-stop") and speed limiter

Camera and/or distance sensor (driver assistance system)

Exterior mirrors: with memory feature, power-folding/adjustable, separately heated

Lane keeping system and traffic jam assist

Parallel 'Park Assist'

• Advertisement

L-M you might know if you don't select this option does it mean the car doesn't come with lane assist? Just wondering is there any way to get the car without it.

Parallel 'Park Assist'
    RRP € 113.87
    RRP € 113.87, ,

Adaptive cruise control (with "follow-to-stop") and speed limiter

Camera and/or distance sensor (driver assistance system)

Exterior mirrors: with memory feature, power-folding/adjustable, separately heated

Lane keeping system and traffic jam assist

Parallel 'Park Assist'

Lane assist is standard across the range, from basic car upwards. It has nothing to do with parking assist. On other models (such as Tiguan), its bundled in with a "Driver assistance package" - it includes lane assist, front assist, side assist and rear traffic alert. You'd need someone in VW Ireland to chase it up for you and see if its possible.

Advertisement