Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

OSI wrote: »
    It's not an "on by default" thing like the emergency brake on the ACC though. At least not on the Tiguan, it's something you have to actively enable.

On the new ones it's on by default and your required to turn it off every time the car is started. It's mentioned in most of the GTI mk8 reviews, as someone who has it I can confirm it's a royal pain in the ass, I wouldn't intentionally buy a car with it where it can't be turned off permanently. If it's giving reviewers the hump you can imagine how annoying it is after a few weeks.
    Dedicated button wouldn't make it too bad but it's 7 clicks on the touchscreen every time you turn the ignition on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

On the new ones it's on by default and your required to turn it off every time the car is started. It's mentioned in most of the GTI mk8 reviews, as someone who has it I can confirm it's a royal pain in the ass, I wouldn't intentionally buy a car with it where it can't be turned off permanently. If it's giving reviewers the hump you can imagine how annoying it is after a few weeks.
    Dedicated button wouldn't make it too bad but it's 7 clicks on the touchscreen every time you turn the ignition on.

It might be possible later on down the line (when Ross-tech or the likes figure it out) to permanently disable it via coding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Doing anything via coding is impossible on the Mk8 Golf / Mk4 Leon at present isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

eljono wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers lads.

I can see how the extra power wouldn't be an issue in an R, being 4wd, but as the GTI is FWD, I want to avoid it becoming unwieldy. I recently drove an i30N and was surprised at how much wheelspin there was through first to third in damp conditions. My GTI puts its power down very cleanly in similar conditions.

For the people who have remapped in the past, were there any negative mechanical complications or failures linked to the remaps? Hooch mentioned a potential clutch upgrade for a manual, just wondering if the extra power negatively impacts the engine over longer periods.

I know it's not the same but I've a 290 Cupra with the same diff, GY Eagle F1s on it so close enough to a stage 1 GTI PP. I had it up over the vee the other day in properly sh1te conditions as you can see in the pic and didn't have an issue with traction.

PXL_20201117_131621141-01.jpg

Yes doing it in 2nd will light it up a bit but nothing you can't control with the throttle. I'm considering the same thing myself and it will put it to around 340-350 way and I think with decent tyres and being a little sensible where you apply it the power will be ok. Clutch might be an issue alright. Sachs organic one seems to be the recommended alternative.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It might be possible later on down the line (when Ross-tech or the likes figure it out) to permanently disable it via coding.

Something needs to happen, I've chatted to VW about it and everyone seems to be complaining about it. From what I understand it's part of the reason for the high NCAP rating so they won't allow you to turn it off by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭User1998

I think that and emergency breaking is required these days to get a full 5 star Euro NCAP rating?

Doing anything via coding is impossible on the Mk8 Golf / Mk4 Leon at present isn’t it?

I'm told that its currently not possible yeah, and VW are making it much more difficult to do now on the new stuff. Jury's out on whether it will be possible later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is lane assist where the steering wheel tugs you back into the centre if it thinks you’re going over the white line?
    Is it not just possible to put it in its mildest setting and leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

If a car had that feature and couldn't be left off by default, I wouldn't buy it. It's not suited to Irish roads imo, and I found it almost dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'm told that its currently not possible yeah, and VW are making it much more difficult to do now on the new stuff. Jury's out on whether it will be possible later.

Revo have started development on the MK8 GTi already, on their instagram you can see they have the whole front end taken apart (complete with broomstick holding up the bonnet:D).

I thought I read that OBD11 have some license agreement in place too.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is lane assist where the steering wheel tugs you back into the centre if it thinks you’re going over the white line?
    Is it not just possible to put it in its mildest setting and leave it there?

No you can't just leave it off permanently or set the strength of it. It's not so much pushing you away from the white line is the problem it's doing it's best to push you into the ditch, flood or parked truck.
    For example you turn into a tight corner on a skinny but normal road and it decides it needs to turn you in more, it's not a pleasant surprise mid flight. You have to remember to turn it off every time you get into the car, it ruins the whole experience.

I had an ID3 out on loan for 2 days back in September and I gave it a good rattle on all sorts of roads, from rural backroads to motorways. I never noticed this lane assist kicking in or being any issue of note. Didn't even realise the car had that feature tbh.

It was the driver seat (couldn't get comfortable in it) and the low rent dashboard that put me off, but other than that it was quite a fun car to drive and accelerated in my mind that my diesel saloon had to go.

I've 4000km up on it, maybe it's the roads around here but it's breaking my heart.
    Driving wise it's a good point to point car with great pace definitely better to drive than most diesels or petrols out there.
    If you could turn off the traction control it would be some fun impossible to get the rear out as is.

I find the seats comfy, a few people have said they much prefer the interior than the tesla model 3.

I've 4000km up on it, maybe it's the roads around here but it's breaking my heart.
    Driving wise it's a good point to point car with great pace definitely better to drive than most diesels or petrols out there.
    If you could turn off the traction control it would be some fun impossible to get the rear out as is.

I find the seats comfy, a few people have said they much prefer the interior than the tesla model 3.

You were pricing an m135 too weren't you? Did you park that idea?

You were pricing an m135 too weren't you? Did you park that idea?

No still a possibility, I'm starting to think the mk7.5 GTI and R are the last of the true hot hatches though after experiencing all the forced new safety features.
    My shortlist..
    128ti
    135i
    M140i
    7.5 R DSG
    Or if I go diesel a 640d.
    Mk8 GTI if lane assist can be turned off permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

640d would be no fun whatsoever compared to everything else on that list. Bigger and heavier than the f10 saloon and bit of a barge.

M140i gets my vote out of that list. Agree on the 6er, they are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

M140i by a country mile. I’m just in from an enthusiastic drive right now in mine, they really are an absolute riot.
    The engine is just brilliant and you will never be able to buy a 3.0 six in a hatch again. I absolutely love the Golf R but this really is another level again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Just had another look at your possible list, 640d no just no.
    All the others are turbo 4’s bar the M140i.

If your after a hot hatch a 640d is definitely not the car to be looking at. It wouldn't see where one went on a backroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Fair play to the chap in the range rover but pointless and damaging his property.

Jesus they can barely drive it! An autowatch ghost immobiliser is a great anti theft deterrent if your concerned about owning a car like this. Know a few guys that have had it fitted and it's a great device.

Wailin wrote: »
    Fair play to the chap in the range rover but pointless and damaging his property.

Crazy stuff. I'm nearly sure that video has been around a long while but it seems to have resurfaced in a few places in the last week!

It's a few years old yeah but just watched it again. The neighbour is an absolute legend for doing that. If these scrotes thought that more passer by or onlookers would get involved they would be less brave. I think there might have even be a go fund me to cover the damage on the RR.

Not many neighbours would do that these days, brings a bit of faith back in people seeing decency like that.

Indeed .......... legend of a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi all,

I'm just after some advice.

Just started shopping around for a 2017 GTD. My original budget was around 20k in a straight deal as I don't have a trade in but could maybe push it out to 24k.
    Just searching the likes of DoneDeal and there isn't a massive availability first of all and the ones that are available are going into high enough mileage.
    I'm in no rush for a car as I'm able to WFH and can borrow my dad's jeep when the need arises. Are my figures way off or is a 17 GTD with less than say 30k miles in my budget area.
    A local guy imports cars from the UK but the 2 he sent me on the details for so far were 26000-27500.

Would I be better off shopping for the 2.0 GT TDI instead or just keep looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi all,

Just started shopping around for a 2017 GTD. My original budget was around 20k in a straight deal as I don't have a trade in but could maybe push it out to 24k.
    Just searching the likes of DoneDeal and there isn't a massive availability first of all and the ones that are available are going into high enough mileage.
    I'm in no rush for a car as I'm able to WFH and can borrow my dad's jeep when the need arises. Are my figures way off or is a 17 GTD with less than say 30k miles in my budget area.
    A local guy imports cars from the UK but the 2 he sent me on the details for so far were 26000-27500.

Would I be better off shopping for the 2.0 GT TDI instead or just keep looking?

If you rarely drive anywhere, why the need for a GTD over a GTI?

Hi all,

Just started shopping around for a 2017 GTD. My original budget was around 20k in a straight deal as I don't have a trade in but could maybe push it out to 24k.................a 17 GTD with less than say 30k miles in my budget area.............

Main dealer 36k kms, asking €28k ........
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=115361633

I'd imagine you'd land something for 24k in the new year for €24k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know if you can code coming home lights on the Mk7.5? It's a bit silly having to flash my high beams when the car is off to keep the lights on when locking the car.

Also anyone know what causes the car to lock? I have keyless, if I'm standing near it the car locks after a while but I forgot to lock it and went into the house one day and it was left unlocked.

• Advertisement

The MK8 Product guide has been updated for R pricing. No details on performance pack pricing but the base price is €62,345 including delivery. For that you get the worst looking 18" wheels ever fitted to an R.

Advertisement