Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Quazzie wrote: »
    If you rarely drive anywhere, why the need for a GTD over a GTI?

Just to clarify, I'm in a position that I can WFH for most of the week at the moment so I'm not in an immediate rush to get something but that will be changing after Christmas.

I suppose my basic question was regarding whether or not my budget was realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Tonnes of gtds on usedcarsni.com

If you don't have a trade in, that would be a no brainer I think to import yourself.

Importing may not be as good an idea in the new year. I'm importing a car shortly and it's vrt cost will increase by about 40% in Jan. Not even sure what Brexit means for imports either, that's just the revenue vrt changes.

Variance will be different from car to car but defo worth plugging the gtd into the vrt calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

Anyone know if the price of the new cupra Leon on the website includes or excludes any vrt rebate (I know coming to end at the end of dec)?

Wonder what kind of monthlies they would do 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can code coming home lights on the Mk7.5? It's a bit silly having to flash my high beams when the car is off to keep the lights on when locking the car.

Also anyone know what causes the car to lock? I have keyless, if I'm standing near it the car locks after a while but I forgot to lock it and went into the house one day and it was left unlocked.

They can be coded for the mk7 with VCDS and a menu option inserted into the lights setup screen to allow you to select the time they stay on for, so I assume the mk7.5 is no different.

If you unlock the car but don’t open a door within 30sec it will automatically lock itself again. Is this what is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

easyvision wrote: »
    Anyone know if the price of the new cupra Leon on the website includes or excludes any vrt rebate (I know coming to end at the end of dec)?

talk nicely to a dealer and see if they will show you or send you the dealer information pack.it’s pretty much the bible for the model and has all the information. More information than what’s on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

easyvision wrote: »

I’m pretty sure that the prices are pre grant.
    I think the grants have been confirmed as staying for 2021 but vrt may have changed.
    There is a big group test of hot hatches in this month’s “Car” magazine and it includes that Seat which acquits itself well enough.
    It’s a great price for a lot of car if it comes in under 40k with grants including.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No matter how much they try they cannot make that Mk8 front pretty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

His 5 cool bits weren't that cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Those wheels are nothing short of a tragedy. What were they thinking of??

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Those wheels are nothing short of a tragedy. What were they thinking of??

They're dreadful but the standard wheels have been ugly since at least the MK 7.5 (and arguably earlier...). There's a couple of reasonable looking 19" options which I'm sure will be commonly spec'd.

I'm sure it's a very competent hot hatch but the external styling and wheel design plus the red digital display colour and infotainment screen graphics, combine to make it resemble a fairground vehicle imo.

Just watched that carwow review. Mat is probably my favourite reviewer of the YouTube guys and he doesn’t seem overly impressed. Interior wasn’t his favourite butI’m surprised he didn’t call out the standard alloys though.
    It doesn’t look like a 50k car at all which is what it is here.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Just watched that carwow review. Mat is probably my favourite reviewer of the YouTube guys and he doesn’t seem overly impressed. Interior wasn’t his favourite butI’m surprised he didn’t call out the standard alloys though.
    It doesn’t look like a 50k car at all which is what it is here.

He actually seemed reluctant to criticise it... as mentioned above, his "5 favourite things" were a bit underwhelming!

I do think that in Clubsport guise, with an obligatory wheel upgrade, it will be a very smart looking car.

I think the buttons (or lack of) is just something that a lot of reviewers are lazily latching onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Been speccing one on the configurator a few times and white is the colour I always seem to end up with. I think it's the most suitable colour for that design. Those touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel are rubbish and completely unnecessary.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    He actually seemed reluctant to criticise it... as mentioned above, his "5 favourite things" were a bit underwhelming!

I do think that in Clubsport guise, with an obligatory wheel upgrade, it will be a very smart looking car.

I think the buttons (or lack of) is just something that a lot of reviewers are lazily latching onto.

The new R is also so much better-looking from all angles then the GTI. I still don't like the standard R rims but the car itself is very attractive imo.

vw-golf-r-blue-parked-front-1-lead-1-scaled.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=crop&h=800&ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=60&w=1600

Wailin wrote: »
    Those touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel are rubbish and completely unnecessary.

I had an ID3 for a couple of days a few months ago. Same buttons. Thought they were fine.. it took me a while to realise they weren't physical.

I did find the infotainment screen very fiddly though, but something I feel you'd get used to after a few days.

Comhra wrote: »
    The new R is also so much better-looking from all angles then the GTI. I still don't like the standard R rims but the car itself is very attractive imo.

Those aren't the standard R wheels. The standard R wheels are another horrific looking 18".

The wheels in that photo are also a GTI option.

I think it's ridiculous that the Clubsport comes with the same horrid wheels as standard!

I can't find any images for the standard R "Jerez" or the clubsport upgrade "scottsdale"

534266.JPG

There's a small image of the R on its standard wheels in the product guide... a small low res image. It's like VW themselves know they aren't the nicest. Similarly, most of the images of the GTI in the product guide / website has the car on the 19's.

I've had confirmation that the VRT situation means spec'ing 19's on the standard GTI is a bit tricky...

standard GTI - 168g Co2
    Clubsport - 167g Co2

The 19's add 3g Co2... which puts the standard car up to 171g (into 31% VRT) while the same wheels on the Clubsport keep that car in the lower VRT band (170g). So if you want factory 19's, you better just buy the Clubsport...

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    There's a small image of the R on its standard wheels in the product guide... a small low res image.

Ah yes I see them
    They look a bit like Audi wheels except not as nice! And missing the black spoke

534267.JPG

Choosing a hot hatch these days is a lot tougher when your trying to pick one that will make you look back at it everytime you get out! Between the 128ti and gti i think it's the vw that's slightly less offensive (with the right wheels) but no comparison to the bmw cabin. The focus sti is the best looking imo, but then you have to put up with the awful plastic interior.

All white just to keep it equal....granted seeing them in the metal is no comparison to low res web images.

50648153998_91be5dd5e3_c.jpg

50648154018_a5812ffa04_c.jpg

50648993797_62ceb6c259_c.jpg

Club sport in moonstone with the estoril wheels is my preferred spec. I think it looks a much better car than standard GTI.
    Can get a BMW m135i for similar money though it lacks a few bits of kit, has nicer interior and more performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I know it can be fixed with some aftermarket options, but those new EU sound regulations have killed the exhaust note even further. It was pretty bad on the Mk7 as standard but at least had a bit of a lower tone to it and bit of sporty kind of bass, but on the Mk8 it's absolutely horrendously nothing from the outside, sounds like a 1.4 Korean white goods car.

Only goes to make the soundaktor internally twice as bad, as you just know you're being fed sh!t and playing pretend sporty sounds.

If you watch the Carwow/Mat Watson videos. He sound tests all the cars before the drag races. All the newer cars just sound...dull

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Myself and Joe were looking at this and as he eagle eye pointed out the TCR emblem is in the wrong place on the drivers door.

They are usually on the rear door.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Very good spot. I wonder if it was just an after sales customer addition or something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agnew's are a large well established reputable VW dealer in the North, seems odd that they would be advertising/selling it as a TCR if it were not surely?

Advertisement