Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes I had it on my GTI and never liked it would prefer normal cruise control any day.

I honestly can’t understand why, unless you didn’t know how to use it. ( I don’t mean that in a bad way)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes I had it on my GTI and never liked it would prefer normal cruise control any day.

Agree it's too controlling, can be handy but ordinary cruise is much less effort...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

L-M wrote: »
    I honestly can’t understand why, unless you didn’t know how to use it. ( I don’t mean that in a bad way)

:pac: no I understand how it works not exactly rocket science.
    Agree it's too controlling, can be handy but ordinary cruise is much less effort...

Yes basically this. You spend half your time looking at the speedometer to see if it’s slowing you down when there are cars in front, normal cruise control set it and forget and pass cars stop it as required. I wouldn’t mind if cars with ACC let you pick to use either or but they don’t have to use ACC all the time.

Well you can set the distance that you are from
    The car in front, near or far.

And also if you indicate as you approach a car in front it also won’t drop speed and will let you get even closer and then overtake.

So I can’t see why the car slowing down itself when there’s a car in front is an issue. And if you can overtake you just indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

:pac: no I understand how it works not exactly rocket science.

Yes basically this. You spend half your time looking at the speedometer to see if it’s slowing you down when there are cars in front, normal cruise control set it and forget and pass cars stop it as required. I wouldn’t mind if cars with ACC let you pick to use either or but they don’t have to use ACC all the time.

If you sense it's starting to slow you down as you approach just indicate to change lane and it will maintain the speed, it's the overtaking feature of ACC.

• Advertisement

Well you can set the distance that you are from
    The car in front, near or far.

And also if you indicate as you approach a car in front it also won’t drop speed and will let you get even closer and then overtake.

So I can’t see why the car slowing down itself when there’s a car in front is an issue. And if you can overtake you just indicate.

Ah I know all that and if there is a car in front going substantially slower it’s quite obvious. But I just found if the car in front of you was only going 2-3kmh slower you might not recognise that and just end up sitting behind it for a while before noticing.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you sense it's starting to slow you down as you approach just indicate to change lane and it will maintain the speed, it's the overtaking feature of ACC.

Yes know the feature. Had my golf over a year so had plenty of experience with it just prefer traditional cruise control. Just personal preference. It wouldn’t stop me buying a car if it had it as I suppose a lot of newer VAG stuff does have it but I just wouldn’t be paying to have it.

Yeah, I still don’t understand the logic though. I would say I’m on adaptive cruise control for over 95 percent of my driving. As in, as soon as I’m even over 30kms per
    Hour i click it on.

It, combined with the emergency brake has definitely saved me from at least two rear end collisions over the last 5 years.

Yeah, I still don’t understand the logic though. I would say I’m on adaptive cruise control for over 95 percent of my driving. As in, as soon as I’m even over 30kms per
    Hour i click it on.

It, combined with the emergency brake has definitely saved me from at least two rear end collisions over the last 5 years.

I think emergency braking is a great feature alright definitely prevents crashes.

But yes your way of driving is just different I am assuming you have an auto so your just on adaptive most of the time. I went from auto back to manual as I just prefer to be in full control of the car which feeds into my ACC preference. If you are constantly driving in heavy traffic I could then see maybe why you would see a big benefit in it but I rarely am.

For me I am not saying Auto or ACC is a bad feature or not effective I am just saying I prefer manuals and standard cruise control. If we all had the exact same preferences the world would be a boring place!

Im driving a manual. I use it mainly on country roads, just set it to the max speed and let it off. If someone is in front of me it keeps a safe distance, if there isn’t i won’t get caught speeding and if I want to go faster I just hit the pedal and when I let go of just goes back down to whatever it was set at.

Anyway, I just don’t think enough people use it to its full potential. I’m not saying everyone should. Each to their own.

Obviously if I had something faster/more engaging to drive I probably wouldn’t use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I didnt warm to ACC ever in the golf I had, and it was auto too. Prefer normal cruise. Depends on situation really, but with normal cruise on quiet n roads you could cruise up behind a slower car, then accelerate past them when you got close and then just coast/cruise back Infront of them and keep going. I just never warmed to it. I let it do it's thing in traffic one day and bring me to a complete stop and start again, and I didn't feel comfortable with it, just prefer the manual one. Also hate auto dipping head lights, so maybe it's just the way my head is wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Neilw wrote: »
    Why?

ACC is brilliant on an automatic, best modern feature I’ve had on a car.

Agree totally, the one feature I really miss on my last few cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Quick question to anyone who's in the know...........

The new 8 Clubsport - the daytime running lights / F fogs........are they now in the main light
    cluster, as any of the pics I've seen seem to be diff to the GTI (ie in the front grill).

Also, have all models lost the headlight wash system ?

Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Clubsport just doesn’t have those fogs at all, similar to the R. They aren’t DRL’s, the DRL is in the main headlamp unit.

Headlight washers aren’t a legal requirement with LED’s, like they are with xenons. Manufacturers seem to be leaving them out now on new cars.

Haven’t they got an “All weather” light which basically widens the range of the beam, which is kinda what front fogs do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Haven’t they got an “All weather” light which basically widens the range of the beam, which is kinda what front fogs do anyway.

I don’t think basic leds have this function although gti may come with adaptive leds. On my id.3 I don’t have it nor I have fog lights.

I don’t think basic leds have this function although gti may come with adaptive leds. On my id.3 I don’t have it nor I have fog lights.

The GTI/D/R come with full adaptive "IQ Light" LED's. I thought they were very impressive in the ID3 I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The GTI/D/R come with full adaptive "IQ Light" LED's. I thought they were very impressive in the ID3 I tried.

I might be mistaken but I think they come on below 60kph unlike high beam assist. Someone at work has an ID.3 and they seemed to come on almost immediately as he was leaving the car park.

I'm happy with how well high beam assist works on my commute, IQ lights are a must on my next car. I wonder is there a wide low beam for areas with pedestrians or limited street lighting.

The Golf performance models have the IQ matrix’s lights with poor weather lights as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Anybody looking to import a GTI
    from the UK should have a listen to the revenue video skip the bull**** until 11 mins into the video I'd be interested in people's response

https://youtu.be/adcEMYY0Sbk

• Advertisement

Anybody looking to import a GTI
    from the UK should have a listen to the revenue video skip the bull**** until 11 mins into the video I'd be interested in people's response

https://youtu.be/adcEMYY0Sbk

I'm not sure of the import duty they level on cars I presume it's the same as china cars (8%?). As for the vat it's kinda irrelevant as you won't be paying the UK vat just the irish one and vrt process is as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I'm not sure of the import duty they level on cars I presume it's the same as china cars (8%?). As for the vat it's kinda irrelevant as you won't be paying the UK vat just the irish one and vrt process is as normal.

If you are now paying VAT on import won’t that impact the amount you ultimately pay for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

maddness wrote: »
    If you are now paying VAT on import won’t that impact the amount you ultimately pay for the car?

" Customs duty is calculated at 10% of the combined figure for the price of the vehicle plus shipping. While VAT is due @23% and is calculated on the car price including customs duty plus shipping. You can see how costs might ramp up very quickly. You will also need to pay a customs clearance broker to process the import. A customs officer is required to view the vehicle and payment of duty and VAT must be made at the port. This is the current process for importing non EU Japanese used imports "

Not looking good.. What a mess

Did anyone get monthly's on the Clubsport?

Did anyone get monthly's on the Clubsport?

Yes.

The APR is 1.9%, there's no deposit contributions, so it's pretty easy to work out the approx monthly with an online PCP calculator, which will vary depending on what deposit you put in.

The GFV is about €22,300.

What's the purchase price with the GFV of 22.3k, seems very low.

Is the gap still huge between that and the R, in the UK it seems to be only 2k

What's the purchase price with the GFV of 22.3k, seems very low.

Retail is €52.5k incl. delivery but with no trade in you'll get a bit off that. The GFV is fixed at that 22.3k irrespective of the purchase price or whatever optional extras you tick.
    Is the gap still huge between that and the R, in the UK it seems to be only 2k

Yes its huge, over 10k.

Do they do 1.9 per cent on hp as well Joe?

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Do they do 1.9 per cent on hp as well Joe?

No I don’t think so, that’s usually 5-6%.

• Advertisement

Hi thought so. They really encourage pcp.
    Hoping to get a quote for club sport tomorrow.
    I think I heard on radio that they are giving free service packs at the moment with new orders.

Advertisement