Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Hi thought so. They really encourage pcp.
    Hoping to get a quote for club sport tomorrow.
    I think I heard on radio that they are giving free service packs at the moment with new orders.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on. The guy I usually deal with is good to deal with if you want his details, I've sent several lads his way from all over the country who've bought from him.

They're doing a thing with service packs where you pay €10-€15 per month for it. I'm not sure if thats great value tbh, considering an annual service on a fresh VW is relative small beans anyway. I didn't hear anything myself about it being free and I did ask repeatedly if VW were willing to do anything else in terms of incentives!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When do deliveries start on the clubsport? I noticed in the spec "driver profiles" does it mean what I think that you can set driver profiles, maybe it's a premium feature now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The cost of finance on 1.9% PCP vs 5.9% HP probably isn't that different. With HP you quickly eat into the borrowed amount so the interest is only applied to that amount each month. This is the same for PCP, but as you have a balloon sitting there for the entirety of the agreement then you pay interest on that even in month 35. Something to be mindful of when comparing the two products.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The cost of finance on 1.9% PCP vs 5.9% HP probably isn't that different. With HP you quickly eat into the borrowed amount so the interest is only applied to that amount each month. This is the same for PCP, but as you have a balloon sitting there for the entirety of the agreement then you pay interest on that even in month 35. Something to be mindful of when comparing the two products.

What's the consensus, are you better to own it in 3yrs or is it all the one.

Yeah HP is possibly a viable option if you've a valuable trade in (that you owe little/nothing on).

• Advertisement

When do deliveries start on the clubsport? I noticed in the spec "driver profiles" does it mean what I think that you can set driver profiles, maybe it's a premium feature now.

Well you can order it tomorrow if you want... add 10-12 weeks from today for delivery.

The product guide mentions something about a "special" driver profile... not sure on details, its some gimmicky thing like "race mode" on the MK7 R I suspect.

Which ever product is cheaper really. When they give you a quote on HP or PCP they can tell you exactly what the cost of the finance will be. If the rates for PCP and HP are the same % the HP will be cheaper. This is simply because after a year or two the amount you owe will be much less, as the monthlies are higher so the interest is applied to a smaller outstanding borrowed amount.

More manageable monthlies probably suit most people though, so there is no general answer here. Each car company will have difference rates etc and what will suit each person may mean a different answer.

In short my point was to keep an eye on the cost of the credit, rather than the APR %.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Website says free service packs on “limited stock only. Ask your retailer”.
    I certainly will.
    Which upgrade alloys do people prefer Adelaide or estoril? They’re pretty essential I reckon.

What's the consensus, are you better to own it in 3yrs or is it all the one.

The GFV after 3 years is ~22k. You'd imagine a tidy 3 year old CS will be in good demand and residuals will be decent enough so I'd expect it to be worth 32k (maybe a bit more) on a trade in. So you'll have 10k equity to trade up again.

Crystal ball stuff I know, but that'd be my thinking based on past performance!

Website says free service packs on “limited stock only. Ask your retailer”.
    I certainly will.
    Which upgrade alloys do people prefer Adelaide or estoril? They’re pretty essential I reckon.

I've yet to see a photo of one on the Estorils, but I've seen a few photos of the R on the same wheel and yeah I'd probably pick them. Of course they're ~150 quid more than the Adelaide!

The 18's are so horrible that you have to pick one of the 19's.

The VW website / configurator is horrific... and when they say "limited stock only" you can be certain that it doesn't apply to special order Clubsports.

• Advertisement

Yea that's what I was thinking no way it's only worth 22k

Yea that's what I was thinking no way it's only worth 22k

Well thats generally how PCP works... the GFV is "worst case" stuff. The car is typically worth a good chunk more, certainly with VW. Not so much with BMW as I recently experienced.

[QUOTE=JoeA3;115565874

The 18's are so horrible that you have to pick one of the 19's.

[/QUOTE]

Just in their defense, I ran a 7.5 for 2yrs on the 18's and they were comfortable, now in that 2yrs the Mrs manged to wreck every alloy on it. If it's me buying I'll probably keep the standard wheels until she wrecks them and spend the money on keyless entry and reversing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I'm only surprised people are considering a GTI, but then again there has to be some by the law of averages.

As said before, any 19's are better than the 18's. Especially if it doesn't effect the VRT/tax band.

Comfortable maybe. But they somehow managed to take the already unattractive 7.5 wheels and make them even worse. I can't believe they didn't fit something a bit more special on the CS at least. It's piss poor.

dar83 wrote: »
    I'm only surprised people are considering a GTI, but then again there has to be some by the law of averages.

As said before, any 19's are better than the 18's. Especially if it doesn't effect the VRT/tax band.

Why are you surprised people considering a gti?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Comfortable maybe. But they somehow managed to take the already unattractive 7.5 wheels and make them even worse. I can't believe they didn't fit something a bit more special on the CS at least. It's piss poor.

I think the 7.5 is a lot better in certain ways, there's a lot to be said for the driver being in control and twisty heater nobs.
    VW overlooked something major with the entertainment system and that's a flaw with a good few older touchscreen phones which is you can't use them when your fingers are cold, you'll be kicking that climate control button on a cold morning trying to make it respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Just be careful with the 19s.

On a standard GTI the Co2 goes from 169 to 171, raising the tax to €600 and the VRT a on the car and all options goes up 5 percent also.

On both manual and DSG

Is the club sport €600 to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

No 420 with 26 percent VRT.

Probably explains why there’s such a large difference in price between it and the R here. The R is already at 31 percent. Adding 19s narrows the gap to be fair.

• Advertisement

It's a toss up between the R and Clubsport even at equal money.

Is anyone ordering a mk8 then? My money is on Joe to go first...

Oddly, the Clubsport does not hit this problem because it’s Co2 is 1g lower than the standard car.

Keep your money in your pocket vintage!

Agreed.
    Kinda surprised it hasn't happened..

Agreed.
    Kinda surprised it hasn't happened..

Honestly... hands (or wallet) are a bit tied up with other priorities at the moment, but hopefully not for too long. But I am interested when the time is right.

Oh - VAT is due to go back up from 21% to 23% again in March, so anyone thinking of ordering any new car should do it soon to avoid that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. Has anybody here had any dealings with Frank Keane VW Liffey valley lately? Specifically as regards trade in against second hand cars? Spotted a nice Mk7 but I've no idea what my own (142 GTi with extras) would be worth realistically in a trade in. I bought the car off them in 2017 so I'm a returning customer, if that matters 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Why are you surprised people considering a gti?

There's multiple reasons this time around. Face only a mother could love, cockpit with zero buttons/knobs and all touch sensitive bits that are being roundly criticised for being awful, horrible wheel choices, zero sound, silly pricing.

Some of those may not be important to some people but throw them all together and it's a lot of elements across the board that make it an unattractive prospect for most.

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    There's multiple reasons this time around. Face only a mother could love, cockpit with zero buttons/knobs and all touch sensitive bits that are being roundly criticised for being awful, horrible wheel choices, zero sound, silly pricing.

Some of those may not be important to some people but throw them all together and it's a lot of elements across the board that make it an unattractive prospect for most.

I'm not entirely sold on some aspects of it either but its a bit of a presumptuous leap to say that it's an unattractive prospect for most. It's not for you, but it will be for many. They will sell tons of them.

Advertisement