Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Of course they will, but a lot of the people I know who had a Mk7 GTI/R aren't making any moves whatsoever towards their VW dealer for one and in some cases it's for a combination of, or in other cases all of the reasons I put above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

dar83 wrote: »
    Of course they will, but a lot of the people I know who had a Mk7 GTI/R aren't making any moves whatsoever towards their VW dealer for one and in some cases it's for a combination of, or in other cases all of the reasons I put above.

And I know lots of people who are interested in it.

This happens to some degree every time they launch a new one. When the MKV came out, it was widely disliked initially - the perceived dropping of touchy feely plastics, the big unpainted rear bumper, etc... The MK7 had its fair share of criticism too early on... sooner or later the naysayers will want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I love the look of the new R and it will be brilliant to drive but it’s too expensive and I can’t stand the touch screens but unfortunately that’s the way car interiors are all going. A year old nice spec Mk7.5 R is a very good buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

JoeA3 wrote: »
    IThey will sell tons of them.

I doubt they will sell tons of them here compared to the previous model. Surely you can agree that the price for the mk 8 gti, cs and upcoming r is ridiculously high? VW have to claw back some money, everyone knows that,. But cutting corners on build quality and hiking the price massively means sales will not be as strong as the mk 7 imo.

Wailin wrote: »
    I doubt they will sell tons of them here compared to the previous model. Surely you can agree that the price for the mk 8 gti, cs and upcoming r is ridiculously high?

The R is mad money but thats as much to do with our VRT system as anything... there is less than 2k between a CS and an R in the UK, hence the tagline in the Matt Watson video above. There's over 10k between them here.

The MK8 GTI isn't priced much more than the MK7.5 was.

Due to the pricing, yes, I can't see the R selling here in the numbers that it sold before, but I'd expect them to sell a fair few CS's instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

I’m probably to buy a mk7 or 7.5 gtd or gti in the new year depending on what I can get for around 25k. I know with the driving I do it should be the gtd but I really want to own and drive a gti before it becomes a thing of the past. My question is what kind of real world mpg does a mk 7 gti return at 120 kph on a motorway.

Am I right in saying the R is now more expensive than the S3? Audi are working on the configurator so no prices up yet.

eggy81 wrote: »
    I’m probably to buy a mk7 or 7.5 gtd or gti in the new year depending on what I can get for around 25k. I know with the driving I do it should be the gtd but I really want to own and drive a gti before it becomes a thing of the past. My question is what kind of real world mpg does a mk 7 gti return at 120 kph on a motorway.

I think mid 30's is well achievable at motorway speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I doubt they will sell tons of them here compared to the previous model. Surely you can agree that the price for the mk 8 gti, cs and upcoming r is ridiculously high? VW have to claw back some money, everyone knows that,. But cutting corners on build quality and hiking the price massively means sales will not be as strong as the mk 7 imo.

I am tending to agree.
    Priced cars today and decided to price new model Audi S3 too.
    54650 euro retail. Was expecting mid sixties based on golf r price. I thought it was a mistake but dealer confirmed it was the 2021 price. Now you need to add some extras alright as golf is better equipped but the interior was a lot classier than golf and it has real climate control buttons!
    Plastics not hugely better than VW though,not like Audi of old but it’s better looking than the golf for sure.

Would the S3 be a contender along with the clubsport and m135i?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Has the new S3 saloon been released yet? Always thought of them as a classy looking car. 55k seems decent if I recall the last model was in or around that ballpark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

The father in law is thinking of changing cars. He has a Seat Arona so we went to look at the new Leon yesterday. Drove a 1.5 TSi FR. Have to say it's a cracking car. It's very nippy (felt as quick as a mk5 GTi was) and the spec and finish in it is really good now. If they do a Cupra one they will be a cracker altogether but was really impressed with the FR.

S3 saloon is about 1k more from memory today. I prefer the sport back so wasn’t interested.
    Spec is funny. No heated seats, folding mirrors, parking sensors, sat nav but seats are leather and alcantara which you can change for free to leather and leatherette which looked fine in the s line they had.
    I specced a Navarra blue with black pack and grey leather and it looked very nice. Even with a few packs still comfortably cheaper than golf R.
    I am worried now that VW may “realign” their prices in a few months like they did with the mark 7 and early purchasers will be screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

hooch-85 wrote: »
    The father in law is thinking of changing cars. He has a Seat Arona so we went to look at the new Leon yesterday. Drove a 1.5 TSi FR. Have to say it's a cracking car. It's very nippy (felt as quick as a mk5 GTi was) and the spec and finish in it is really good now. If they do a Cupra one they will be a cracker altogether but was really impressed with the FR.

https://www.cupraofficial.ie/cars/cupra-range/leon.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

To anyone saying the MK8 has gone up in price, that’s just across the board in all aspects.

A Passat has gone around 7k since 2017, a Tigaun Similar. Touaregs could be bought in 2018 as R lines (ableist a 5seat commercial) for lates 60s including VAT and now they’re 95k for the same spec.

And that’s not just with Vw, it’s across the board with every manufacturer.

L-M wrote: »
    And that’s not just with Vw, it’s across the board with every manufacturer.

I don't agree. A good example is the bmw m135i, almost 8k cheaper than it's predecessor, the m140i. The change from 3 litre to 2 litre will obviously have reduced costs dramatically. But that's offset by the x drive system, better built interior and higher standard equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

To be fair changing from a 3.0 to a 2.0 irrespective of anything else isn’t the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

eggy81 wrote: »
    I really want to own and drive a gti before it becomes a thing of the past. .

Picking up a Golf R in the UK on Tuesday for this exact reason....I was set on GTI PP but then came across a 2016, 20k mile, very high spec and very well looked after R at a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Sounds decent.
    Wheels on it are an absolute travesty though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ah you beat me to it.
    Nice sound....but the wheels!

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Ah you beat me to it.
    Nice sound....but the wheels!

Yeah the wheels are a travesty, just about everyone agrees with that, apart from perhaps the VW wheel designer (who should get a P45).

But the 2 19" options are a lot better and fortunately spec'ing them on the CS doesn't impact the VRT band.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I am tending to agree.
    Priced cars today and decided to price new model Audi S3 too.
    54650 euro retail.

What's the base spec, looking at the UK site it looks like leather is standard, seems well specifed out of the box.

I don't agree. A good example is the bmw m135i, almost 8k cheaper than it's predecessor, the m140i. The change from 3 litre to 2 litre will obviously have reduced costs dramatically. But that's offset by the x drive system, better built interior and higher standard equipment.

Another example........Back in 2016 an A4 2.0TDI 150 ULTRA was €40k RRP, now the Audi A4 Saloon 2.0 35 TFSI 150HP SE Starting Price: €40,570
    2020 40k A4 is a petrol but for most folk doing average miles it's comparable to a 2016 diesel IMO from a price point point of view.

But in A6 land.......... today Audi A6 Saloon 2.0 40 TDI 204 S TRONIC SE Starting Price: €51,910
    2016 A6 2.0TDI 150 SE €45,350 ........... presume the 2016 was a manual.

What's the base spec, looking at the UK site it looks like leather is standard, seems well specifed out of the box.

I went on Audi U.K. last night but they get a much better spec than we do. They get nappa leather we get leather and alcantara but you can get leather/ leatherette for no cost and looks fine.
    No sat nav, you use your phone. No heated seats, folding mirrors, parking sensors, reverse camera, privacy glass. All this adds 2k odd to price.
    Metallic and black pack plus black mirrors (essential to remove chrome) guts of 2k so it quickly adds up but you’re still under price of a new golf R.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    No sat nav, you use your phone. ... ...., folding mirrors, parking sensors, reverse camera, .........

Bit sparce so before you add what most would consider essentials.

Audi standard spec is dreadful, always has been. Even BMW beat them out the gate in that regard.

You might find this video interesting carsfan. Volkswizard is obviously very VAG-biased so his opinions in this comparison are interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Picking up a Golf R in the UK on Tuesday for this exact reason....I was set on GTI PP but then came across a 2016, 20k mile, very high spec and very well looked after R at a very good price.

Your doing well to get it before the ****e hits the fan in January with Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did anyone notice a blue S3 that went to for sale during the week think it was Dublin, had a light leather interior, seems to have only been up for a few hrs, can't remember where it was, think it's was an 18 or 19 looked fully loaded..

• Advertisement

Audi standard spec is dreadful, always has been. Even BMW beat them out the gate in that regard.

You might find this video interesting carsfan. Volkswizard is obviously very VAG-biased so his opinions in this comparison are interesting...

Thanks Joe.
    Good comparison alright. The Audi is the better looking externally and interior is ahead of the golf.
    The BMW is definitely not a looker.
    Probably nothing between them except personal preference. Price too.

Advertisement