Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Watched it last night, BMW interior is way nicer but a face only a mother could love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Are the 128ti prices on the BMW configurator 2021 money does anyone know.

The price gap between the M135i and 128ti is palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

To illustrate how a half decent set of wheels makes the difference... this is a UK dealer demo that the dealer has fitted MK7 brescias onto.

5-FA8-BE32-CFFA-4-AD0-BE42-F6-F08897-DC01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    To illustrate how a half decent set of wheels makes the difference... this is a UK dealer demo that the dealer has fitted MK7 brescias onto.

Looks very nice. Is that reflex silver?
    Do you think there is any chance VW may reduce prices of the gti/R like before?
    I couldn’t believe the new s3 wasn’t a lot more expensive than the new R.
    I went in to dealer yesterday and I was the first enquiry about the new gti they had he said which doesn’t indicate there will be lots ordered. This dealer would have sold a ton of mark 7 gti and R models.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is that reflex silver?

Yes.
    carsfan2 wrote:
    Do you think there is any chance VW may reduce prices of the gti/R like before? I couldn’t believe the new s3 wasn’t a lot more expensive than the new R.

I don't believe they will, but who knows. This isn't the same as 2014. New cars have gone very expensive across the board. You need to throw a lot of spec at the Audi if you want parity with the VW, so I'd say there's not much in it.

What I could see them doing for the next round of new reg's is throwing more spec at it, discounted "tech packs" or something along those lines. Perhaps better standard wheels too. And/or something on the finance side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

That actually looks damn good I reckon. The Mk8 R was the same during testing when they had Pretorias on it. All of the 19" Mk7 alloys were particularly nice from both the R and GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Those 19" Brescia wheels make a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Your doing well to get it before the ****e hits the fan in January with Brexit

Indeed. I don't really need a second car in the house just now and ideally I would've liked to wait until March/April when I plan to start spending some time in the office again. But Brexit, new VRT/Nox and any other random Brexit duties/taxes Revenue dream up got me moving fast.

I had a brown trousers moment after committing to buying the car when I tried to book an VRT inspection appointment. The next available date for me was the 30th Dec at 8am.....I have been following chat on other forums and there are zero appointments left in the country before the end of the year. And from what I can make out once you go into 2021 its the new rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Indeed. I don't really need a second car in the house just now and ideally I would've liked to wait until March/April when I plan to start spending some time in the office again. But Brexit, new VRT/Nox and any other random Brexit duties/taxes Revenue dream up got me moving fast.

I had a brown trousers moment after committing to buying the car when I tried to book an VRT inspection appointment. The next available date for me was the 30th Dec at 8am.....I have been following chat on other forums and there are zero appointments left in the country before the end of the year. And from what I can make out once you go into 2021 its the new rules.

Yeah Your lucky i think nobody knows what's going to happen really.. One thing because your car won't be the normal type of car they might not be able to give a amount at the inspection like they did with my MK5 gti a couple of years ago i had to ring a number in Wexford they supplied me with to get the VRT amount
    two days later so don't know how'd that's gonna work out so be prepared ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Surprised at how much quicker the 245bhp golf was compared to the 280bhp focus. That octavia really is a great alternative for those needing the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I would say dual clutch has a lot to play here Vs torque converter. Looks like it makes up during gear changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I would say dual clutch has a lot to play here Vs torque converter. Looks like it makes up during gear changes.

That's exactly what it is. DSG is worth an extra 50bhp in some ways!

Surprised at that tbh. Thought the Focus with the 40 odd extra bhp would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

It amazes me that a manufacturer as big as Ford can't produce a decent auto gearbox for their high performance models.

There's too much Ford of America influence on european models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

An auto in a cupra/GTi/r makes sense to me if it suits the owner, but in an ST I just sounds completely wrong even though they are similar cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Dave PP wrote: »
    It amazes me that a manufacturer as big as Ford can't produce a decent auto gearbox for their high performance models.

There's too much Ford of America influence on european models.

The facelift Mustang has an 8 speed that is smoother than the gearbox in the 2017 model but still not as quick as a dual clutch. Australian Golfs now have a torque converter due to emissions there. Can't beat a dual clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Surprised at that tbh. Thought the Focus with the 40 odd extra bhp would win.

Ford tend to be a bit optimistic with their quoted figures, the previous Focus RS had 350bhp but was slower than a 300bhp golf R...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The newer 10 speed auto in the Mustang is supposed to be excellent. Those Powershift boxes we get in the Euro Fords unfortunately are nothing but dirt and inevitably a big repair bill is not far away with one.

• Advertisement

Yes, reflex silver seems to be the colour for them alright. Looks very well in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Agreed. Looks good in the silver with the brescias

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mad. Reflex Silver is 20 years old, it’s been a terrible terrible seller (and still is!) both new and second hand and suddenly it’s revived by the MK8.

Looks to be the best colour on R lines

Silver used to be a huge seller in the late ‘90’s, early 00’s. Every 2nd MK4 Golf or MK1 Focus was silver.

I think the lighter colours generally work best on new VAG’s.

Silver used to be a huge seller in the late ‘90’s, early 00’s. Every 2nd MK4 Golf or MK1 Focus was silver.

I think the lighter colours generally work best on new VAG’s.

Yeah, I’m not denying that. But you genuinely couldn’t give away a sub 5/6 year old silver Volkswagen.

The variants of silver have been very popular, Pyrite silver, Tungsten silver, etc etc.

Edit: I had a silver MK4 myself and I loved it, wasn’t reflex though. It was the previous silver, had a TINGE Of a blue in it. Satin Silver I think

I think they discontinued reflex silver in the MK7.5 actually, in favour of that slightly odd “white silver”.

Pyrite silver looks well, have seen it on a couple of Aertons.

Yeah White silver is still an awful colour. I describe it as a Milk white metallic. Usually deters anyone from buying it lol

Reflex is back on the New facelift Tiguan also. I’d say it will be a great colour with a black pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

While we're on the topic of Clubsports and silver Volkswagens, I've finally made the jump and bought a GTI. I've come from a 115hp diesel 1 Series so anything was going to be an improvement power wise, but it's some thing to go when you plant your foot. Seriously impressive.

• Advertisement

Nice, and well wear. Mk 7 with performance pack?

Advertisement