Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

A DSG Clubsport. The one that was for sale in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

SaintsYB wrote: »
    A DSG Clubsport. The one that was for sale in Cork.

Deadly, well wear. Love the Clubsports. A buddy just sold his DSG R for a manual one and I have to admit it's a lot more special car to sit in and look at. He hasn't regretted his decision. Any pics of yours?

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Deadly, well wear. Love the Clubsports. A buddy just sold his DSG R for a manual one and I have to admit it's a lot more special car to sit in and look at. He hasn't regretted his decision. Any pics of yours?

Thanks, yeah they are savage. Love the different parts to the standard GTI. I haven’t taken any yet but I’ll have to get some this weekend and throw them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Lovely choice, very well wear with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was the one to buy well wear...

• Advertisement

Got a puncture this morning on the way to work though so not great there. Looks like a stone or something had sliced the sidewall of the tyre. Tiny little part of it but enough to hear it come out.

There's your excuse to get some pilot sports....what tyres had they on it..

There's your excuse to get some pilot sports....what tyres had they on it..

Almost 4 brand new Eagle F1 Supersports.

Here’s that same silver Clubsport in action...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jaysus you can really see the radiator through the grill at that angle.

• Advertisement

L-M do you know if you can set a driver profile to hold your preferences for the likes of lane assist etc when you turn off the car with either the GTI or Clubsport?

L-M do you know if you can set a driver profile to hold your preferences for the likes of lane assist etc when you turn off the car with either the GTI or Clubsport?

No you can't.
    It's actually EU legislation, it's legally supposed to be activated on every start.

AFAIK, you need to press the "Assist" button on the dash and the option to toggle it off comes up on screen then.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    No you can't.
    It's actually EU legislation, it's legally supposed to be activated on every start.

AFAIK, you need to press the "Assist" button on the dash and the option to toggle it off comes up on screen then.

That's what I feared. Is it exclusive to VW, I wonder does the BMW and Audi suffer from the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I have a 2018 car with lane assist that is permanently switched off and remembers the last setting.
    On my previous car I had to code it to remember the auto engine off is disabled so maybe different rules for different devices. The engine off thing directly impacts co2 and mpg I would imagine so probably mandated to have it default to on. No doubt it will be possible to tweak via coding down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Surely it can be coded out?

That's what I feared. Is it exclusive to VW, I wonder does the BMW and Audi suffer from the same problem.

With all manufacturers, it will be on by default on each restart - EU legislation dictates it. Lane assist used to be a fairly expensive option. Now its standard - due to the EU rules. What will differ from car to car is how easy it is to toggle it off. Given that BMW's retain some physical buttons, it's probably less of a faff with their cars.

Wailin wrote: »
    Surely it can be coded out?

This is another thing that's getting more difficult to do with each iteration. As of today Ross-tech (VCDS) are staying quiet on whether they can/will support coding on the MK8 platform.

Seen a post on the ID form where there able to code the ID3 with the latest ross tech vcds, some chap needed his aftermarket rear speakers activated. Looks like the same software as the mk8.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Here’s that same silver Clubsport in action...

As suspected the club sport is the model to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Jaysus, 4k extra now to get the DSG? Specced the standard GTI up there to my liking... 55k.

Jaysus, 4k extra now to get the DSG? Specced the standard GTI up there to my liking... 55k.

Be careful spec’ing up the standard car. You’ll end up in the next VRT band if you spec 19’s. A costly choice.

I'm at 48 with a nice spec manual, glad to see keyless entry as standard.
    Everything is telling me the 7 - 7.5 will wreck your head less as it's not all touchscreen and hasn't intrusive driving features as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Be careful spec’ing up the standard car. You’ll end up in the next VRT band if you spec 19’s. A costly choice.

Won't be buying, just curious. The 19s are a must though, those 18s are hideous. They make you spec an extra suspension option for the 19s too if you go for them, another grand gone there.

Won't be buying, just curious. The 19s are a must though, those 18s are hideous. They make you spec an extra suspension option for the 19s too if you go for them, another grand gone there.

That’s a mistake in the configurator.
    It’s either adaptive dampers (at approx 1k) or the no-cost “suspension for 19’s”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

So much nicer in clubsport form, it's a far more special car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Presume you’re talking about MK8?

Like the lads said it had to reactivate on every start. If used correctly ie indicating etc it works fine but I have to admit it’s not designed for Irish roads, I would be the first person to defend it but I really felt it over powered me driving an ID3 on the rare thing that is a very poor, but well marked Irish road. It literally jerked the wheel in my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I'm at 48 with a nice spec manual, glad to see keyless entry as standard.
    Everything is telling me the 7 - 7.5 will wreck your head less as it's not all touchscreen and hasn't intrusive driving features as standard.
    gotten rid of the id3 already?

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    gotten rid of the id3 already?

Yea range is no use to me getting nearly half the claimed range in this weather, Mrs is having a canary at me borrowing her's it has to go.
    I can't see me going for a mk8 with the same entertainment system as the ID3. I'd be much happier in a 7.5 it just works.

Advertisement