Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

Yea range is no use to me getting nearly half the claimed range in this weather, Mrs is having a canary at me borrowing her's it has to go.
    I can't see me going for a mk8 with the same entertainment system as the ID3. I'd be much happier in a 7.5 it just works.

Any negative consequences with you selling considering your car is down the business grant lane rather than private grant lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Any negative consequences with you selling considering your car is down the business grant lane rather than private grant lane?

Besides a possible financial hit no. In fairness it's comfortable to drive, quick and practical and I'm sure it'll get even better as the software improves.
    I really don't know what to do, I'll give it a few more chances first. There's people requesting VW give an option to turn off the stability management for snow/ice driving, that would make it a very fun car as it won't drift for love nor money at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

bazz26 wrote: »

Looks like every option ticked on that car. That's gotta be a €70k car at that spec with the new prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'd say mid 70's with those options.

Have to say it's very impressive from that review. The acceleration is phenomenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'd say mid 70's with those options.

Have to say it's very impressive from that review. The acceleration is phenomenal

Yikes, that's €20k more than I paid for a 7.5 in 2018. That's insane money for a golf. I was nearly embarrassed what I paid for one in 2018! There's no way I'll be owning a mk8 R at those prices.

The mk8 R is a good looking car in that spec with those wheels. It's the first of the mk8's that I've warmed to. The front end looks much better than the GTI's imo. They are the best looking wheels for the mk 8, €1000 option though!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I really don't understand why VW decided to give it a 'Drift Mode' beyond the usual something extra over the 7/7.5 R. It makes more sense in the A45 S and Focus RS to me. Just can't understand it here though. That being said, the car looks ace in that spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

New S3 starting at 55k, hard to see why you'd pick the R over it, no manual option this time.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    I really don't understand why VW decided to give it a 'Drift Mode' beyond the usual something extra over the 7/7.5 R. It makes more sense in the A45 S and Focus RS to me. Just can't understand it here though. That being said, the car looks ace in that spec.

Go to Benny Leuchter's instagram and you'll see him drifting one on dry tarmac. I think the rear drive dynamics of the car will definitely make it more exciting to drive. Same thing with the GR Yaris that everyone is raving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Configuration now available.

Full on spec comes to €78,695.20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If I was buying a car to drift it, I wouldn't be spending 70k+ on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What's the Black Styling Package for €442?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

New S3 starting at 55k, hard to see why you'd pick the R over it, no manual option this time.
    The base s3 has always been fairly sparse on what it gets compared to the golf r, haven’t looked at the new model but in the last one you had to spend a good bit just to make them equal. The auto dipped mirror was an extra on the s3

Configuration now available.

Full on spec comes to €78,695.20

I managed to spec it to nearly €81k. The Akrapovic exhaust is nearly €5k and the performance pack is nearly €3k.

What's the Black Styling Package for €442?

It gives you black mirror caps instead of the usual silver R ones. Can't seem to see anything else changed. €81.5k is absolutely mental. It makes the highly specced 7.5 Rs that were around €55k-ish seem like chump change.

It also makes a nice mk7 for mid twenties a great buy imo.
    Between the price of the mk8 and an impending no deal brexit I can see mk7's holding value pretty well. Decent ones haven't really fallen much in value over the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

How much was a base spec manual in 2015, 44k or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How much was a base spec manual in 2015, 44k or something?

About that. My DSG with a couple of options ticked was a shade over €49k I think.

The akrapovic exhaust wasn't an option in those days. If you did spec that exhaust along with a few other boxes on a MK7.5 R you'd easily have been well north of 60k!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    About that. My DSG with a couple of options ticked was a shade over €49k I think.

The akrapovic exhaust wasn't an option in those days. If you did spec that exhaust along with a few other boxes on a MK7.5 R you'd easily have been well north of 60k!

Surely the number of Rs specced with the Akrapovic exhaust was less than ten? Have never seen one come up for sale with one of them.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Surely the number of Rs specced with the Akrapovic exhaust was less than ten? Have never seen one come up for sale with one of them.

Yeah I’d say quite a rare option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That exhaust system is about 6k on the Tiguan R.

Surely someone here would get away with buying the Tiguan R and tell the misses it was a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I’m considering a 7.5 r Dsg for my next car and am wondering what the mpg is like? I’d be happy with my current mpg which is roughly 29 in the gs450h. I also really want acc after driving newer cars with it. Do many of them have acc as I think it was an optional extra?

If by ACC you mean active cruise control they all have it as standard since 2015, brilliant feature, I'd find it hard to go back to a car without it now.

As regards mpg, do you do a lot of urban driving? If so you you will probably see mid 20's. I've a manual 7 and I'm getting 32 long term over the last 11k miles. You will easily see mid to late 30's on a long steady run at 100-120km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I get a fairly consistent 27- 29 mpg on my 7r dsg. On the motorway with the wife in the passenger seat probably 30 - 31 mpg. :-/

Edit: if you choose to be a spanner everywhere you go probably around 23 mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Quick question on a mark v gti.

Someone approched me about selling it. They asked if it was FSI or TSI. When I said FSI, they lost interest :-/

Gave me a bloody complex!

Anyone tell me any practical difference and why the FSI may be considered worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I thought all Mk5 GTis were TSI.

everlast75 wrote: »

Someone approched me about selling it. They asked if it was FSI or TSI. When I said FSI, they lost interest :-/

Anyone tell me any practical difference and why the FSI may be considered worse?

They are all TSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭User1998

everlast75 wrote: »

FSI is non turbo, like a mk5 Golf 1.6 FSI. TSI is turbo, so for example theres 1.4 TSI, or in your case its a 2.0 TSI. All GTI’s are TSI, ie. Have turbos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cheers lads.

It was just that is says FSI on the engine cover :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

They’re all FSI too.

The Golf GTI features a 2.0 litre turbocharged inline 4-cylinder petrol engine with Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) direct-injection technology, which produces 200PS (147 kW/197 bhp).

Advertisement