Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DAP are doing a 400hp Mk5 GTI RWD swap if anyone is interested. Curious to see the result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

everlast75 wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

It was just that is says FSI on the engine cover :-/

To confuse things slightly I'm pretty sure my engine cover said TFSI on my 2008 Mk 5 gti. But it's been 11 years since I saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

hooch-85 wrote: »
    If by ACC you mean active cruise control they all have it as standard since 2015, brilliant feature, I'd find it hard to go back to a car without it now.

As regards mpg, do you do a lot of urban driving? If so you you will probably see mid 20's. I've a manual 7 and I'm getting 32 long term over the last 11k miles. You will easily see mid to late 30's on a long steady run at 100-120km.
    Most of my driving these days is B roads. I’d imagine the auto will be a little bit worse than your manual but sounds like it would be okay mpg wise. Great to hear they all have acc. That along with led lights and android auto are the must haves for me on the next car.

After doing a bit more research it sounds like the gti pp would do the job and save a few quid but not sure how many were sold in 2018? Is there anyway to see the spec from 172/181/182? I’ve had a look at the older thread and saw a few mentions of them dropping some of the standard stuff from the pre facelift but nothing specific.

Is there front, rear censors and camera as standard or was it part of a pack? I also forgot to mention that I have upgraded audio in my own yoke so would preferably like to have it again. I know that was an extra but was it also part of any pack?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m sure they have been answered before but that previous thread is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Zurbaran wrote: »
    After doing a bit more research it sounds like the gti pp would do the job and save a few quid but not sure how many were sold in 2018? Is there anyway to see the spec from 172/181/182? I’ve had a look at the older thread and saw a few mentions of them dropping some of the standard stuff from the pre facelift but nothing specific.

Is there front, rear censors and camera as standard or was it part of a pack? I also forgot to mention that I have upgraded audio in my own yoke so would preferably like to have it again. I know that was an extra but was it also part of any pack?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m sure they have been answered before but that previous thread is a beast!

I've attache the Irish product guide for December 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

Was there ever a retro fit solution developed for the missing front fog lights on mk7.5 gti/gtd models.

I've attache the Irish product guide for December 2018

Thanks. I assume that is for 2019 so if it was the same for 172/181 all I’d be looking for is the tech upgrade pack.

I know a lot of people on here hate the standard wheels but tbh I think they are fine, I’d prefer upgraded ones but meh. Surprised to read in the old thread to see that the alarm isn’t standard. That seems crazy to me as I think the get damaged for parts/stolen fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Front/rear sensors have been standard for years. Camera is usually part of a “tech pack” or similar and tends to be on most of them.

Upgraded audio - dynaudio - That was part of a pack for a while at one stage, I remember a lot of Clubsports had it. But usually it’s a standalone, pricey, rarely picked option.

Yep, alarm wasn’t standard. Keyless entry forced its inclusion I think.

The standard wheels are ugly imo, more befitting a Quasqai, and just about anything else lifts the appearance of the car ten fold but Etto.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Was there ever a retro fit solution developed for the missing front fog lights on mk7.5 gti/gtd models.

That only affected the first batch of cars in the UK if I recall.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Front/rear sensors have been standard for years. Camera is usually part of a “tech pack” or similar and tends to be on most of them.

Upgraded audio - dynaudio - That was part of a pack for a while at one stage, I remember a lot of Clubsports had it. But usually it’s a standalone, pricey, rarely picked option.

Yep, alarm wasn’t standard. Keyless entry forced its inclusion I think.

The standard wheels are ugly imo, more befitting a Quasqai, and just about anything else lifts the appearance of the car ten fold but Etto.

Yeah it’s as I suspected, thanks. From what I’ve read the standard audio is good in comparison to rivals so it shouldn’t be an issue. Other than that the standard spec looks great and the added tech patch brings it to what my own car has with a few added modern extras like led lights (mine are like candles and the worst thing about the car), android auto, active cruise and the digital dash but tbh I’m not sold on them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

This crowd have a nice selection of mark 8 gti/d models.Different colurs and specs.
    Definitely needs the upgrade wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33DemSx7kY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntFNGx3EaCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl_1UiP9Biw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgoHTGB8nI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

White or dolphin grey for me. You lose the sharp lines with black and moonstone grey not as nice as it looks on configurator.

Don’t like moonstone. I’ve had flat/primer grey already and that isn’t as nice as the shade I previously had. Not sure if dolphin looks too drab or not. I’ve seen it in the metal on a base Golf and it looked very dreary. Very “battleship grey” but it looks quite nice in that video. It’s always hard to judge them on the base cars as the red bits, body kit, wheels, etc make a huge difference. I think indium grey on the previous generation was possibly nicer.

I think I’d be picking between silver and white. White being €700+ cheaper could be the clincher!

Club sport better looking definitely. I would love to see club sport with the estoril alloys.
    I thought moonstone was nice enough but silver probably nicer alright.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Club sport better looking definitely. I would love to see club sport with the estoril alloys.
    I thought moonstone was nice enough but silver probably nicer alright.

Apparently Estorils aren’t an option in the UK so we’ll have to wait for a few Irish cars to appear.

Watching those again, I think dolphin grey is the standout colour. The standard wheels aren’t doing the white one any favours but that grey does look really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You should see it in person. It’s awful. Such a disappointment. Volkswagen used to do really good greys.

L-M wrote: »
    You should see it in person. It’s awful. Such a disappointment. Volkswagen used to do really good greys.

Yeah as I said, I’ve seen it on standard baseline cars and I thought it was a bit drab. I’d like to see it on one of the performance variants (or a well spec’d R-line at least) before making a proper judgement on it.

The kings red doesn’t work on the GTI imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Bring back Limestone! I think the silver is nearly the best colour. No solid red either is a mistake imo. A tornado red GTi is a classic colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

Are the front fog lights on the Mk8 GTI optional?

Saw this video and think the car looks so much better without them.

• Advertisement

Not on the Clubsport at all.
    They’re standard on the standard car but in some markets they do appear to be optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks 10 times better without them.

I’d hold judgement on the Doplhin Grey until I see it on something smart but the colour might as well be a flat grey, it doesn’t have any pop too it. Matt looking almost

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Not on the Clubsport at all.
    They’re standard on the standard car but in some markets they do appear to be optional.

That's the first standard GTI I've seen without them. I think it actually improves the look of the front end massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Looks 10 times better without them.

I’d hold judgement on the Doplhin Grey until I see it on something smart but the colour might as well be a flat grey, it doesn’t have any pop too it. Matt looking almost

That’s a dolphin grey GTI in the video Max Q posted above.

noelf wrote: »

He reckons the mark 8 needs adaptive dampers to be a good all rounder.
    Surely that's an option few ever spec?

Reviewers have been saying that same thing for years. Some say it’s vital, others say it’s barely noticeable if it’s there or not. Apparently the mk8 ride is a bit harsher, if you were to believe any of these youtubers so maybe it’s worth spec’ing, especially with 19’s. I think it’s also much more configurable in the new car than before, you can make more fine tuned changes to the comfort settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

The two Golf R’s I had both didn’t have adaptive dampers and were incredibly good over the bumps, admittedly I haven’t tried an adaptive damped R but how much better can it be?

maddness wrote: »
    The two Golf R’s I had both didn’t have adaptive dampers and were incredibly good over the bumps, admittedly I haven’t tried an adaptive damped R but how much better can it be?

Yeah I found the R on 19’s more comfortable, more planted, less skittish than the GTI on 18’s before it. I put it down to the extra weight in the rear, the AWD. Neither car had adaptive dampers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I'm the same, I find the passive dampers very good in the R on 19's and I drive on some very bad country roads at times.

Advertisement