Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The boot level can drop down a few inches to help with that end. Just pull out the tray half way and let it fall down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

L-M wrote: »
    The boot level can drop down a few inches to help with that end. Just pull out the tray half way and let it fall down.

Cheers ye I noticed that alright. Very handy.

eggy81 wrote: »
    Cheers ye I noticed that alright. Very handy.

Also on the radio, if you click on “Car” and in the bottom right you’ll see settings, you can change loads of stuff, units, lighting etc etc

I’m sure if you’ve sat nav you know you can put it on the screen behind the steering wheel etc. Lots to play with. MK7.5 is a great car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

Also on the radio, if you click on “Car” and in the bottom right you’ll see settings, you can change loads of stuff, units, lighting etc etc

I’m sure if you’ve sat nav you know you can put it on the screen behind the steering wheel etc. Lots to play with. MK7.5 is a great car

I noticed this evening when parked on a narrow side street waiting to collect a takeaway I had released the clutch and the car was on auto hold and cut itself out as it would in traffic. Then a car passed by me on my right and swerved slightly in front of me and the car started again as it would have in traffic. Does the front sensor distance control apply to heavy traffic situations or only when adaptive cruise is enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that most of us on here would be quicker, more relaxed and confident driving the golf R on most roads than in the M3//4 regardless of whether it’s the revised version.
    The R is a daily driver that has massive performance and overs huge grip. The M4 is not so good at the daily stuff by most accounts and is lot more lairy especially if the road is at all damp. Looking at the various forums especially in the U.K. where the M cars are a lot more attainable than here, you regularly see guys moving on a few months after buying. They don’t seem to be great daily drivers and yet are too civilised for the guys that want a real raw driving experience.
    Morrison’s in cahir tried to interest me in a 2017 competition model recently. It was bought new on pcp and hardly used as the owner didn’t really like it as it was too hard day in day out and he gave it back at the end of the pcp. I think it has 8k up on it.
    Running costs here would be a different league to the R too I reckon.
    Have to say I disagree, I love my M4 Competition and think it’s a great daily driver.
    Everyone will have a different opinion/taste in cars, the Golf R is a great car too.

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    I noticed this evening when parked on a narrow side street waiting to collect a takeaway I had released the clutch and the car was on auto hold and cut itself out as it would in traffic. Then a car passed by me on my right and swerved slightly in front of me and the car started again as it would have in traffic. Does the front sensor distance control apply to heavy traffic situations or only when adaptive cruise is enabled.

There’s a separate city emergency brake that works under 30kms per hour. If the car cuts out because of driver error and you put your foot back fully on the clutch it will auto re start itself. There is a sensors for the traffic that it starts in traffic if it sees the car in front moving so could have been either or.

Another handy one is if you leave the Mirror on “L” when reversing the left mirror will dip down, it’s called curb view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭User1998

Another handy one is if you leave the Mirror on “L” when reversing the left mirror will dip down, it’s called curb view

So thats how you do it ... was looking for this in the car settings for ages

User1998 wrote: »
    So thats how you do it ... was looking for this in the car settings for ages

Yeah. If you put in in L, then into revserse. Let it drop and then adjust it the normal way, then go back into neutral and back into the middle on the mirror setting it should store it to whatever you’ve chosen.

Sometimes it can be fierce low which I find can be dodgey if you’re not aware of your surroundings.

Another one people don’t know about is the coming home lights. Obviously if you walk up to the car and open it with the key the lights will come on, but if you want them to stay on when you’re leaving the car if you just “flash” the lights once before you get out they’ll stay on for the set period of time (again you can set this time in Car- Settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Another one people don’t know about is the coming home lights. Obviously if you walk up to the car and open it with the key the lights will come on, but if you want them to stay on when you’re leaving the car if you just “flash” the lights once before you get out they’ll stay on for the set period of time (again you can set this time in Car- Settings)

It's bizarre that these don't come on automatically since the leaving home lights come on when unlocking the car. I only found out how to activate the coming home lights recently after 8 months of having no street lights in my new estate, just before the lights got turned on...

Considering all the quirks and features that the Golf does very well, it's a bit of an oversight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

That’s odd, my Leon’s coming home lights stay on without doing anything for the preset time.

My mk7 Golfs stay on too, but I’ve seen mk6 Golfs where you have to flash the flights to make them stay on

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It's bizarre that these don't come on automatically since the leaving home lights come on when unlocking the car. I only found out how to activate the coming home lights recently after 8 months of having no street lights in my new estate, just before the lights got turned on...

Considering all the quirks and features that the Golf does very well, it's a bit of an oversight.

My mother had a new MK5 in 2005 and they used drive her insane. Every time she got out of the car and walked away if someone was passing they’d turn and say “Sorry, you’ve left your lights on”

So maybe it was a customer complaint lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

User1998 wrote: »
    My mk7 Golfs stay on too, but I’ve seen mk6 Golfs where you have to flash the flights to make them stay on
    you had to code them to automatically go on on the mk6

My mother had a new MK5 in 2005 and they used drive her insane. Every time she got out of the car and walked away if someone was passing they’d turn and say “Sorry, you’ve left your lights on”

I still get that on my mk7 the odd time, and the reverse camera, people keep telling me that I’ve left my boot open.

Ah that makes sense. My mam's old Octavia rolled the windows up automatically when locked (I don't believe it was a button hold thing like now) and she was frequently told they were open in car parks.

Although you'd think there would be a short time period where flashing after turning the engine off wouldn't actually flash the high beams, but engage the coming home lights. It's a bit strange to be flashing outside your house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Saw a white mk8 rline. Looks very nice. 202 reg. Didn't think the r line kit was out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Any thoughts on the below? There is one on Carzone for the same price without the sunroof. Either way there doesn’t seem to be any performance pack cars available from 2018 and to me the price looks a bit steep for a 2 year old car albeit they are very low mileage?

How much were they new? 46k?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26836284

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Lovely car but couldn't live with those wheels. Has to have the 19s but you could upgrade them yourself I guess. Price wise it seems about right for the year and mileage and as you say PP 7.5s are rare on the ground. Have you seen this one?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-p-2-0tsi-245hp-5dr-auto/26641544

Yeah I did glance at that one, the one on Carzone has the same wheels. Tbf that one is specced higher with the seats sunroof 19’s and active dampers.

I had set my limit on a 32k price point (depending on what the trade in is) so don’t want to start talking myself into paying more even though I’ve sort of done that by posting the first link..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That white one is deffo the nicest used one around at the moment imo. You won’t find another with that spec. He’s had it in stock a good while, so he must be very firm on the asking price. Worth an enquiry though I think.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That white one is deffo the nicest used one around at the moment imo. You won’t find another with that spec. He’s had it in stock a good while, so he must be very firm on the asking price. Worth an enquiry though I think.

It's a nice one alright. White with Brescia is a great combo. Not many PP models around either. Those seats are a nice option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

DaveyDave wrote: »
    It's a nice one alright. White with Brescia is a great combo. Not many PP models around either. Those seats are a nice option too.

Yeah the wheels/colour is a nice combo. The seats (fabric) is the same as that in the new Clubsport.

That same car was for sale privately in Galway for around 34-35k a month or two ago, wily old Graham snapped it up quick.

Black and 3dr aren’t something I’m looking for. Also the vrt mentioned isn’t applicable as of jan as far as I know.

Do you lads know if many pp dsg’s were sold in 2018? Im hoping they would be coming back into dealers in the next few months after 3 year pcp’s.

Also is the pp really needed? Most reviewers would say yes but would be interesting to hear from anyone who has experience with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Black and 3dr aren’t something I’m looking for. Also the vrt mentioned isn’t applicable as of jan as far as I know.

Vrt is going to be a huge issue from January i suppose. The white is a great color especially with the 19's and the pan roof it's expensive though... I'd imagine they'll be a few come on sale in January & February so hold tough..

The PP came out in 2017 also so not sure why you are so focused on 2018? I wouldn't be too bothered with the reg and buy on spec and condition within your budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Do you lads know if many pp dsg’s were sold in 2018? Im hoping they would be coming back into dealers in the next few months after 3 year pcp’s.

Also is the pp really needed? Most reviewers would say yes but would be interesting to hear from anyone who has experience with both.

I doubt there will be huge amounts of PP DSG 2018 ones coming back from PCP I suppose you will just need to keep a close eye and be ready to act if the right one comes up as they typically sell fast.

The big gain from the performance back is the mechanical front limited slip differential which helps with cornering and the car getting its power down. It also has bigger front brake discs. Obviously the extra 15 bhp also. Like with a lot of cars it really depends on what your used to driving and coming from along with how hard your going to drive the car that decides whether you will really notice the difference with the PP. No doubt its the better car to get but limited choice and budget can be the limiting factor.

Advertisement