Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Quick VRT update.

So off I went to my appointment this morning. I arrived at the centre in good time and presented myself with all paperwork in hand. The nice lady behind the desk said "I am not on the system"......so I pull up the email confirmation only to realise my appointment was actually yesterday!!!! I had somehow mixed my days up thinking the 30th was the last day of the month. This is the type of thing that makes me say "how could you be so stupid?". The colour drained from my face.

Anyways....Serious charm offensive engaged and managed to talk my way into being inspected on the fly....Phew. Hurdle No.1 overcome.

The next curve ball was the stat code...There are 4-5 different codes on the VRT system for the Golf R, all of them are around €6k except one which is nearly €8k... and of course the kind lady that was doing me the huge favour picked the €8k code listed as a 4X4 and not 4 motion. ..After much talking and presenting my case I managed to get the correct code for my car. VRT paid and officially registered in the state.

I think I need a lie down after that experience.

Good result. Mine is listed as 4x4 on the tax book which I thought was a bit odd, must have been cleared under this same stat code. It was 6500 for a Jan 15 car which was cleared in December 19. I looked up the vrt again on it recently and it has gone up since instead of down.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

I'd say your relieved now you can really enjoy it even more now it would be interesting to see the difference in the vrt if you'd registered it tomorrow 1/1/21.. You'll be taxing it from 1st December so you'll save a few quid I'd say over the new system in January

Its difficult to work out with all the new formula they have but I asked a friend that imports cars and he says the difference will be substantial. Will defo check once the new system is live.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Good result. Mine is listed as 4x4 on the tax book which I thought was a bit odd, must have been cleared under this same stat code. It was 6500 for a Jan 15 car which was cleared in December 19. I looked up the vrt again on it recently and it has gone up since instead of down.

I paid €6.4k for an Oct 2016 car which is about the same as you as its a year later.

There are 4-5 different codes for pre FL cars on the VRT system so maybe its pot luck on which one you get on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Thinking about going for a Mk8 GTI or GTD in 2021!

Can't understand VW's pricing structure - why is it €4k extra for DSG on GTI? (UK diff is only about £1,500)
    Also really surprised they haven't produced a solution for the wheel conundrum (why would any one upgrade to 19" if it triggers a move into next VRT bracket + increased road tax) and looked at offering different 18" choices (the GTI wheels are beyond awful)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Mind me asking what you are hoping to trade in? I tried to do a deal with Graham before (on JoeA3's old car actually) and the trade in price offered without seeing my car was low to say the least.
    It’s a 2010 Lexus gs450h. I sent him the pics of it today and he says he won’t sell it himself so I’m expecting a low offer.

I think I need to find a dealer that is going to sell it themselves.

Any thoughts on the below r or the dealer that is selling it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26154356

Edit: can you tell from interior pictures If a car has dcc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Don't know the dealer but he seems to have some interesting stock..if you get a pic of the drive mode screen you can tell if it has DCC as it will have a comfort mode.

Don't know the dealer but he seems to have some interesting stock..if you get a pic of the drive mode screen you can tell if it has DCC as it will have a comfort mode.
    The m140i shadow edition sure is interesting although I’ve no idea how well specced they are though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Zurbaran wrote: »
    The m140i shadow edition sure is interesting although I’ve no idea how well specced they are though

They have a good standard spec but that’s not a Shadow Edition M140i they have advertised, it’s not even the LCI2 (revised version). They also have it advertised as a MSport Plus which also doesn’t exist on a 1 series!

Mind me asking what you are hoping to trade in? I tried to do a deal with Graham before (on JoeA3's old car actually) and the trade in price offered without seeing my car was low to say the least.
    He came back to me a few hours ago and as expected it was low. 2k under the minimum I was preparing for.

I’m thinking I may need to go a year or two older and either get the r or a non pp gti since none are available. Bill Griffin has an r that fits the bill price wise but from the pics I don’t think there’s heated seats.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26835420

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That Bill Griffin R has come up a few times. It’s an oddball spec, think someone suggested it was an Australian import!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah I knew i recognised that Reg.

It’s Aussie alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Be in a mental road tax bracket then would it?

No, funny, I thought that but it’s not. €570

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Be in a mental road tax bracket then would it?

Why?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Why?

They mightn’t have the same ridiculous tax bands that we have so might not have the same emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Have seen a few Oz cars over here struggle with a recognised cert of conformity for co2 emissions so they just get dumped into the highest tax bracket. Have a few drinks on board now so don't quote the exact number but seen an Australian Audi A1 earlier this year with insane road tax like €1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I considered that R in Bill Griffin's myself. It's a Grid Edition R. It was only available in Australia as far as I know. As far as I can tell, the only thing missing from the standard spec 7.5 here is the digital dash (could be wrong on that though). Considering that, you could get a bargain of a car.

Thankfully I posted it here. I watched a YouTube vid with that Achilles fella and car advice and in it they mention that oz cars are setup differently with less hp as the fuel is not as good. Think I’ll swerve that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

I’d be happy with one but I really want the adaptive cruise which I believe is an option on them? Most ads for the golf say cruise control rather acc so maybe it has it but I can’t tell from that.

Little bit concerned about there value after a few years but I guess you are paying less in the now so it will even out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Did my sums on VRT on a few up north last week and the difference now its 31% so a 2015 60K PP DSG has gone up 1300 euros i had priced a 172 22K 3dr PP Manual that's gone up nearly 2 grand I'd say bridie in revenue must be rubbing her hands where she got the figures I'm still at a loss having looked at the figures

I’d be happy with one but I really want the adaptive cruise which I believe is an option on them? Most ads for the golf say cruise control rather acc so maybe it has it but I can’t tell from that.

Little bit concerned about there value after a few years but I guess you are paying less in the now so it will even out?

Every Golf MK7 will have ACC. (Bar the bog basic stuff)

Hey JohnnyMustang22 if you could pull in off the road there will ya! An wipe that big smile off your face and let's us know how much you saved in VRT... Just asking for a friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For whatever reason the Irish Cupras don't have ACC, front parking sensors or a reversing camera as standard.

UK models have ACC, keyless, digital dash and sunroof as standard. I think 2019/20 Irish models got keyless, digital dash and sunroof as standard but no ACC. Honestly ACC is a deal breaker for me. I occasionally drive cars without it and I'd really miss it.

The Cupra is a savage car and looks well but personally I'd go down a year and get the better spec of a GTI. Even a 172 is still fairly fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's my old Cupra
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    For whatever reason the Irish Cupras don't have ACC, front parking sensors or a reversing camera as standard.

UK models have ACC, keyless, digital dash and sunroof as standard. I think 2019/20 Irish models got keyless, digital dash and sunroof as standard but no ACC. Honestly ACC is a deal breaker for me. I occasionally drive cars without it and I'd really miss it.

The Cupra is a savage car and looks well but personally I'd go down a year and get the better spec of a GTI. Even a 172 is still fairly fresh.

Yeah, the Irish Cupras didn't have great standard spec, but from memory the options weren't overly expensive - from memory ACC was only in the region of €350 and reversing camera was around €150. Sunroof was ~€1,100 option on my old one. Missed ACC on the Cupra, it's one of them options that I'd always select if I was to ever spec a brand new car for myself

DaveyDave wrote: »

Yeah that’s my thinking. I do also prefer the look of the golf outside and most importantly inside where you spend all your time. Can always get a remap done if I thought I needed the extra power.

Hey JohnnyMustang22 if you could pull in off the road there will ya! An wipe that big smile off your face and let's us know how much you saved in VRT... Just asking for a friend :)

Just plugged the details in and its about €700 more today than it was yesterday. I expected a bigger increase. Still worth the effort of getting it done in 2020

Just plugged the details in and its about €700 more today than it was yesterday. I expected a bigger increase. Still worth the effort of getting it done in 2020
    That doesn’t sound too bad at all.

Do any of the places in the north take a trade in from the south (car is originally uk) and could I get a vrt rebate??

Did well there will tax it and a oil change. Don't understand had my eye on a 2015 DSG PP and it's gone up by 1100 euros vrt FFS still value but man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Just looking back at this, it may not be a Shadow Edition but it’s still great value. That B58 engine is incredible and it’s still a lot of car for the money.

Advertisement