Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was in Discount Tyre a few months ago with my mam's car and noticed they were still doing the money back with Michelin. I got €20 back for submitting my receipt on a set of 225/45/R17 Pilot Sport 4's, I think it's a bit more for 18/19" wheels. Worth a call to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

First photo I’ve seen of the new car on the 19” Estoril. Definitely the pick of the available factory wheel options imo.

D892-D1-D9-F226-4-EFB-A869-AE13-B7-BE8-F9-D.jpg
    www deltacommunitycu com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Those wheels make such a difference looks wise to the car..... Much more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Hey guys,

I fitted a TCR rear muffler to my mk7.5 GTI DSG recently and I'm more than impressed with the results! It has a much deeper tone and it notably louder on acceleration but not to the point of being obnoxious.
    The DSG farts are louder and more distinct. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I recorded a quick before and after clip. I'll try record a better one at some stage but you'll get the idea.

Anyway, well worth it for anyone thinking of doing it!

Before and after TCR rear muffler clip

https://youtu.be/sBOrwp3SGQU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Nice upgrade, sounds much better now.

I changed the standard exhaust on my Mk7 to one from a Clubsport S and very happy with the result. Firstly it now sounds like a GTI should in my opinion, a deeper, more hard edged note when accelerating. However it's not at all obnoxious or boomy and for town/city driving, it's still pretty refined.

The icing on the cake is that the 1" larger tips now fill the cut outs in the rear and the rear looks better resolved in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I fitted a TCR rear muffler to my mk7.5 GTI DSG
    eljono wrote: »
    I changed the standard exhaust on my Mk7 to one from a Clubsport S and very happy with the result. Firstly it now sounds like a GTI should in my opinion, a deeper, more hard edged note when accelerating. However it's not at all obnoxious or boomy and for town/city driving, it's still pretty refined.

The icing on the cake is that the 1" larger tips now fill the cut outs in the rear and the rear looks better resolved in my opinion.

If you don't mind me asking, how much to switch? Either clubsport or tcr

The clubsport exhaust is a nice upgrade, I know of a few lads who've had it done and its not too expensive to do afaik. One buddy even fitted the CS rear diffuser (gloss black) which really sets it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Before and after TCR rear muffler clip

https://youtu.be/sBOrwp3SGQU

Sounds great, I recently fitted a resonator delete on my R and it's made a nice difference to how the car sounds, a bit more aggressive but not too shouty or boomy as you say. They are a bit too muted from factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

ILikeBoats wrote: »

PM sent

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »

It cost me €95 to swap them over. An exhaust shop will have to cut the original and then make a sleeve to join the two. It's a hours labour plus materials I guess. I've heard of lads getting it done cheaper but I was happy with that.

I'd imagine it will be a lot cheaper to swap back. You could swap them back over yourself if you were able to remove and replace rhe rubber bushings. Be a bit of a doing it on axle stands too. Spent enough time doing that kind of thing when I had my Impreza STI back in the day! Haha

The exhaust was about €350 delivered. Took a few weeks from somewhere like Latvia...

I went for the TCR box as I wanted to keep things looking genuine underneath and so I can swap back easily come trade in...

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Sounds great, I recently fitted a resonator delete on my R and it's made a nice difference to how the car sounds, a bit more aggressive but not too shouty or boomy as you say. They are a bit too muted from factory.

I'd say your R sounds unreal now with the delete!
    What year is your R? A mate of mine had a 2018 and now a 2020 and the 2020 seems quieter to me than his 2018 did...

I understand that they have to comply with certain rules and legislation re noise and emissions etc but I don't understand why the TCR exhaust isn't on every GTI from the factory given that the Akrapovic is the upgraded system.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    First photo I’ve seen of the new car on the 19” Estoril. Definitely the pick of the available factory wheel options imo.

D892-D1-D9-F226-4-EFB-A869-AE13-B7-BE8-F9-D.jpg
    www deltacommunitycu com

You guys know that the Estoril wheels have an "R" emblem on the rim? Really does not look good on a GTI from an enthusiasts perspective. The wheels do look unreal though otherwise.

I just couldn't have an "R" part on my GTI. Coming from I who would keep the standard wheels so take from that what you will!! :p

I'd say your R sounds unreal now with the delete!
    What year is your R? A mate of mine had a 2018 and now a 2020 and the 2020 seems quieter to me than his 2018 did...

I understand that they have to comply with certain rules and legislation re noise and emissions etc but I don't understand why the TCR exhaust isn't on every GTI from the factory given that the Akrapovic is the upgraded system.

Mine is a 2015. It sounds well in race mode but with the valved rear muffler you can quiten it down when you want by closing the valves.

Yes the newer cars with GPF's are a lot quiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭wallpapers123

So I have a 141 Manual Mk7 GTI for sale, I have put up an ad on DoneDeal, getting a lot of views within a few days, but no one has shown any interest by contacting me. Selling due to urgent need of money, is there any other way I can sell the car?

...........is there any other way I can sell the car?

https://www.zucar.ie/we-buy-cars/

"We guarantee that we’ll make a cash offer in writing on your car regardless of age, model, mileage or condition and we will hold that offer to buy for 5 days."

Likely won't be what you want for it but that's the game.

So I have a 141 Manual Mk7 GTI for sale, I have put up an ad on DoneDeal, getting a lot of views within a few days, but no one has shown any interest by contacting me. Selling due to urgent need of money, is there any other way I can sell the car?

Any link to the car, I know a dealer who might buy it from you.

Any link to the car, I know a dealer who might buy it from you.
    Admin, please delete post if posting own advert is against boards.ie rules

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-mk-7-gti-220bhp-manual/26843107

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Have patience if you're not in a major rush, current lockdown/travel restrictions will dissuade a lot of people from enquiring/travelling.

I put a car up for sale at the start of the last lockdown (late Oct), had a load of views but no enquiries, soon as the restrictions were lifted the phone lit up and I had it gone the first weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.zucar.ie/we-buy-cars/

"We guarantee that we’ll make a cash offer in writing on your car regardless of age, model, mileage or condition and we will hold that offer to buy for 5 days."

Any car I've put through them for an offer has come back with a lowball offer usually 2-3k below what you'd expect

• Advertisement

Have patience if you're not in a major rush, current lockdown/travel restrictions will dissuade a lot of people from enquiring/travelling.

I put a car up for sale at the start of the last lockdown (late Oct), had a load of views but no enquiries, soon as the restrictions were lifted the phone lit up and I had it gone the first weekend.

A dealer in Dublin offered me 11 grand cash and a '07 Audi TT (200k kms run, 4 owners). I was ready for this deal, but unfortunately he got cold feet or something in the last moment, and cancelled the deal.

Any car I've put through them for an offer has come back with a lowball offer usually 2-3k below what you'd expect

Trying out all possible channels at the moment.

Trying out all possible channels at the moment.

Worth sending an email or text to this guy

https://www.edcarsales.ie/

Worth sending an email or text to this guy

https://www.edcarsales.ie/

Thanks buddy, I'll do that.

Of course, they are looking to make money :)
    I stated similar myself.

Augeo wrote: »

2-3K below the asking price could be fine, but depends how much the asking price is..

Sold a car to Zucar myself last year. I’d recommend, it worked out well enough for me. I didn’t get top dollar but was happy to take the small hit for the convenience factor and getting the car off my plate immediately with zero hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Hate to say and I know you spent 700 on those alloys but I'd stick something like these on

https://www.donedeal.ie/alloyswheels-for-sale/18-inch-golf-gti-austin-style-alloy-wheels-5x112/23763986

Take new pics and get the vw badges back to original not having xenons headlights will limit your car appealing to some people .. It will sell its the right colour and looks clean everything has a price. Best of luck

Agree, the non standard wheels, the badging and the relatively low spec (no xenons) will not help achieve a quick sale imo. A potential buyer will scroll past it in favour of something with more spec and less mods. You can’t do much about the spec but I’d deffo get better pics and put the original wheels back on it if you have them.

Your one close up pic of the wheel shows it Kerbed...

• Advertisement

Winter tyres is off putting also IMO.
    Unless they are all weather with snowflake symbol.

Advertisement