Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

https://www.joeduffy.ie/volkswagen/used-cars/12323298-volkswagen-golf-gti-2.0-tsi-d6-f-230-hp-5-dr/

Are they dreaming or are mk7.5 prices going up due to Brexit???

Nice motor all the same.

Ha just looking at it video on carzone it's not cheap it's got DSG so there tacking on a few grand.... A few 17's & 18's around now from 28 to 32 grand... I'd imagine they'll be more pop up now with the mk8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It’s not even the PP model. Ambitious imo but that’s main dealers.

I know someone who’s trading in a 181 PP for a new mk8 and is only getting 28k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It’s not even the PP model. Ambitious imo but that’s main dealers.

I know someone who’s trading in a 181 PP for a new mk8 and is only getting 28k for it.

You can bet they will have that up for 33k or more in a few weeks depending on mileage and if it has dsg.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

I wonder how much they gave the previous owner as a trade in...well I've a fair idea actually based on how much they've offered me for mine which is the same only with half the mileage...dealers win at every level. If you've a car worth a few pound you often have no choice but to accept a trade in price. Not many will hand over 20k+ in a private sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wonder how much they gave the previous owner as a trade in...well I've a fair idea actually based on how much they've offered me for mine which is the same only with half the mileage...dealers win at every level. If you've a car worth a few pound you often have no choice but to accept a trade in price. Not many will hand over 20k+ in a private sale.

I have to say coming from a Dealers point of few that’s not fair to say. It’s natural to have to be cautious on the “odd ball” stuff, I know there’s a following for them but it’s limited. We really can’t win, If we don’t give enough for a trade in we’re “stealers” and then if we try and make some money on them we’re the same.

I’m not trying to right their price, but when you take in prep costs, usually a grand on anything worth it’s salt, cost of a used approved warranty, house charges and then VAT margin (This means paying 21 percent VAT on the profit irrelevant on the spend), plus the manufacturers have been cutting margins and adding charges themselves separetly, it’s hard to make money. That car would be still in stock 12 months for all anyone knows, or it could already Be in stock 12 months ans that’s why it’s so expensive, but if the dealer has to take a loss I’m sure the customer won’t care.

/Rant

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    I have to say coming from a Dealers point of few that’s not fair to say. It’s natural to have to be cautious on the “odd ball” stuff, I know there’s a following for them but it’s limited. We really can’t win, If we don’t give enough for a trade in we’re “stealers” and then if we try and make some money on them we’re the same.

I’m not trying to right their price, but when you take in prep costs, usually a grand on anything worth it’s salt, cost of a used approved warranty, house charges and then VAT margin (This means paying 21 percent VAT on the profit irrelevant on the spend), plus the manufacturers have been cutting margins and adding charges themselves separetly, it’s hard to make money. That car would be still in stock 12 months for all anyone knows, or it could already Be in stock 12 months ans that’s why it’s so expensive, but if the dealer has to take a loss I’m sure the customer won’t care.

/Rant

Ah here, cry me a river! Sure the profits as published each year by main dealers are savage! Including specifically used vehicle profits.

And a GTI will never sit on a forecourt for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Exactly, once priced right GTi's fly out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

I am guessing that the new eye watering chunk of cash the Revenue will lift out of your pocket to import a car from the UK is having an effect.

It seems there is now an additional 10% Customs Duty on top of VRT/NOX for importing a car from GB (but not NI). This applies if the car was not built in the UK.

Is this correct and has anyone got hit with this yet?

And if I am reading this correctly you will also get hit with 21% VAT on top aswell? seriously? And no doubt on the original selling price.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Exactly, once priced right GTi's fly out the door.

I'd imagine this is a fair asking price with DSG it says performance but don't think it so?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti/26692774

I am guessing that the new eye watering chunk of cash the Revenue will lift out of your pocket to import a car from the UK is having an effect.

It seems there is now an additional 10% Customs Duty on top of VRT/NOX for importing a car from GB (but not NI). This applies if the car was not built in the UK.

Is this correct and has anyone got hit with this yet?

And if I am reading this correctly you will also get hit with 21% VAT on top aswell? seriously? And no doubt on the original selling price.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/registration-of-imported-used-vehicles/vehicles-imported-from-gb-and-ni.aspx

Yes this is correct and VAT will increase to 23% in March. Importing from the UK is effectively game over now.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine this is a fair asking price with DSG it says performance but don't think it so?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti/26692774

Yes price seems fair on that but it's not fair to compare a car advertised at an independent vs a main dealer. Main dealers can generally offer better finance rates so this definitely bumps up the price. Better warranty too in most cases, although I bought my last car from a decent independent and had no problem getting a couple of issues sorted under warranty.

Yes this is correct and VAT will increase to 23% in March. Importing from the UK is effectively game over now.

Agreed UK imports finished... its going to be a massive loss of revenue to the Government and car dealers how many imports last year was it 70 or 80k?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭User1998

110k+

Just spoke to a friend in the trade that imports a lot of cars and he has confirmed that this is the case. The R I just imported would have an additional €5-6k of duty and VAT applied on top of €6k VRT/NOX already paid. That's roughly €12k of duty/taxes on a €20k car. Madness.

Interestingly if the car was built in the UK then you do not have to pay the 10% duty and if you buy a Vat qualifying car in the UK there may be a way to claim the VAT back.

Agreed UK imports finished... its going to be a massive loss of revenue to the Government and car dealers how many imports last year was it 70 or 80k?

Agree, most of the big dealer groups get a lot of their 2nd stock from the UK.

I get the impression the government is pushing us all towards brand new battery powered vehicles on PCP.

When is the Timing Belt due on 2015 GTI with 65500 miles?

When is the Timing Belt due on 2015 GTI with 65500 miles?

It has a timing chain.

It has a timing chain.

Oh God!!! I'm still back in the 80s :) when would it be due for Replacement

It shouldn't have to be replaced ideally. The water pumps and thermostats leak and that's a common problem on the TSi engine. At that mileage id be budgeting for doing that job. It's around €600 at a good independent like Daltons in Portlaoise.

It shouldn't have to be replaced ideally. The water pumps and thermostats leak and that's a common problem on the TSi engine. At that mileage id be budgeting for doing that job. It's around €600 at a good independent like Daltons in Portlaoise.

Thanks speaking of daltons they have 2016 UK looks clean

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-2-0-tsi-230-gti-performance-pack-stunning/26402757

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Zurbaran wrote: »
    You can bet they will have that up for 33k or more in a few weeks depending on mileage and if it has dsg.

Currently waiting on a CS and traded a 181 7.5 PP (3dr DSG, 19" FSH, DCC,
    winter, rvc, with 66km).
    €32k from main vw dealer. Relatively happy with that as it will be 70km+
    when I hand over.

MoJoCaine wrote: »
    winter, rvc, with 66km).
    when I hand over.
    That looks a great deal. Looking at prices for the last while it won’t be sold on for more than that I reckon.

MoJoCaine wrote: »
    winter, rvc, with 66km).
    when I hand over.

Hey, when did you order? Were you given a delivery date yet?

I take it that with that trade in price there is no discount off the car...?

Hey, when did you order? Were you given a delivery date yet?

I take it that with that trade in price there is no discount off the car...?

I’ve never yet come across an Irish dealer who talks about discounts off the top of the new car when a trade in is involved. The important number to focus on is the “cost to change”.

I’ve never yet come across an Irish dealer who talks about discounts off the top of the new car when a trade in is involved. The important number to focus on is the “cost to change”.

Can we sticky this somewhere.

I can’t understand how people think that getting money off the new car is different from getting more for their trade in.

Whether they talk about it or not it looks as though they have taken a few grand off the new car there?

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Whether they talk about it or not it looks as though they have taken a few grand off the new car there?

We don’t know.
    He told us what he was offered for his trade in, which may well be inflated a little bit if the dealer is feeling generous with his margin.
    If you want to compare one deal with another deal, compare the 2 cost to change figures. Every other figure is smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a UK car that's missing a few things that Irish cars have as standard such as heated seats if that's important to you.

• Advertisement

It’s actually an Irish car without the Tech pack.

Imports would have started at plates around 40k in 181

Advertisement