Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

L-M wrote: »
    Yeah, that’s my point. It can’t be done unless the chap works for Vw maybe and even at that...
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    If you pay the dealer to extend the warranty on the car, if you subsequently sell the car at some point later, surely that warranty would pass onto the next owner for the remaining duration of that warranty no?
    It may not have the same coverage as the original full manufacturer warranty but it’s better than nothing.
    The warranty will of course transfer with the car.

The question is how is he putting a VW Das Welt used car warranty on a car that isn't being sold through a dealer? A Das Welt warranty isn't something an existing owner can opt into. They can only be applied to a used car in dealer stock.

How is he tagging one onto a private sale?

Either that car is actually being sold by a dealer and that's not being made clear in the ad or the dealer is tagging a warranty to a car they didn't supply which is not the done thing. Mightn't be anything wrong but i'd definitely be seeking clarity because at the minute it doesn't sound 100%.
    Yeah as above you can’t extend a Vw warranty, you can only extend a warranty when you buy a used car from a Vw dealer, at point of purchase.

You're perfectly right Joe.

For the others...

No I don't work for VW, nor do I need to.

I purchased the car last February from a main dealer and was given the option to pay to extend the Das Welt warranty at any stage within the first 12 months of ownership.
    Should a prospective buy wish to purchase the vehicle with the two year warranty, I will pay to extend it before selling the vehicle to said buyer.

It's not rocket science guys. I did it on my last A7, extended the warranty and then sold the car thus transferring the warranty to the new owner. Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Thought as much. Not that you needed to clear it up for anyone on here, but good to know that it’s possible to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I would imagine you’ve taken up the salesman wrong.

You can’t extend a DAS welt warranty mid policy. I’ve only been selling them 6 years...

I would imagine you’ve taken up the salesman wrong.

You can’t extend a DAS welt warranty mid policy. I’ve only been selling them 6 years...

You'd wanna have another look at your manual so. I was told I could do so when I purchased the vehicle and I confirmed it again in December when it was in for a service.

Thanks for your input though.

You'd wanna have another look at your manual so. I was told I could do so when I purchased the vehicle and I confirmed it again in December when it was in for a service.

Thanks for your input though.

I know what you were told but I’m just saying don’t rely on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I dunno, VAG group warranties would be my day job and I've never heard of it either. I dont know of a legitimate way to do that with a Das Welt Auto warranty. I'd definitely treble check how they are doing it and that it is a Das Welt policy.

I had one before that was supposed to be a 3 year and i regged it as a 1 year by an accident, it was realised about 3 months in.

I had to cancel the first one, get a credit note and re issue a new policy and prove that it was a genuine mistake (Copy of the original order form stating it was supposed to be 3 from day one).

Hence my reservations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, have seen similar with them before, genuine errors with dates etc. They will work with you but paperwork needs to be bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Shane just to cover yourself put a advisory on the ad saying the Das welt warranty is subject to approval by the dealer... The car even without it is still very competitively priced.. Best of luck it's a great looking car... I'm still looking for my 3dr :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Shane just to cover yourself put a advisory on the ad saying the Das welt warranty is subject to approval by the dealer... The car even without it is still very competitively priced.. Best of luck it's a great looking car... I'm still looking for my 3dr :(

I know of a guy who’s trading a 181 3 door GTI PP for a new CS with Blackwater in Cork. Car is mint. I expect it’ll be on their forecourt in the next month or so.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I know of a guy who’s trading a 181 3 door GTI PP for a new CS with Blackwater in Cork. Car is mint. I expect it’ll be on their forecourt in the next month or so.

Great I'll keep an eye out that's my neck of the woods too.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Just another anecdote, I asked to extend the Das Welt when mine was running out last year and was told that I couldn't do it.

I didn't push back very hard to or anything but I was told it wasn't possible.

Bought in a VW garage, 2.5yo car at time of purchase, 1 year Das Welt, full VW service history.

theintern wrote: »
    Just another anecdote, I asked to extend the Das Welt when mine was running out last year and was told that I couldn't do it.

I didn't push back very hard to or anything but I was told it wasn't possible.

Bought in a VW garage, 2.5yo car at time of purchase, 1 year Das Welt, full VW service history.

Yeah I rang the rep to ask incase anything had changed and it hasn’t, you can’t extend them mid policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

https://mckinneycompetitions.com/competitions/live/?id=252

McKinney have a new gti up for raffle. They stuck 20" Tiguan wheels on it, is that wise?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

ILikeBoats wrote: »

McKinney have a new gti up for raffle. They stuck 20" Tiguan wheels on it, is that wise?!

Nice wheels but do they look just too big for a GTI? Wouldn't be a fan of cross fitting wheels from different models of a particular marque anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

ILikeBoats wrote: »

You’d be paying vat, vrt and import duty on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭User1998

Technically you wouldn’t be paying VAT or customs duty because you only paid £15 for the car

User1998 wrote: »
    Technically you wouldn’t be paying VAT or customs duty because you only paid £15 for the car

Not sure that might wash at the vrt office!

Haha... now there’s an idea........

maddness wrote: »
    Not sure that might wash at the vrt office!

Ah I don’t know. You’d definitely have to provide bank statements to show you didn’t transfer another £25k for the car a few days after, but if you could prove you won it in a competition I’m fairly certain they couldn’t charge VAT or customs duty

• Advertisement

Ah I don’t know. You’d definitely have to provide bank statements to show you didn’t transfer another £25k for the car a few days after, but if you could prove you won it in a competition I’m fairly certain they couldn’t charge VAT or customs duty

True as long as you don’t want a reg plate on it...

maddness wrote: »
    You’d be paying vat, vrt and import duty on it though.

Aww!! Feck do i have to pay the VRT 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I certainly wouldn't want to have 20" wheels on it. I'd rather have the standard alloys over the Tiguan ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

What drugs do I have to take to live in the world you do? Sounds amazing! :D:D:D

dar83 wrote: »
    What drugs do I have to take to live in the world you do? Sounds amazing! :D:D:D

Prove me wrong so? I guarantee you can’t

Prove me wrong so? I guarantee you can’t

The duty is payable on importing and registering the car though isn't it?
    If you has a well off family member in the UK who gifted you a car and you wanted to take it over here and register it, you'd still have to pay all relevant costs like VRT, VAT and duty etc...

The duty is payable on importing and registering the car though isn't it?
    If you has a well off family member in the UK who gifted you a car and you wanted to take it over here and register it, you'd still have to pay all relevant costs like VRT, VAT and duty etc...

VAT & Duty are paid on the price you paid for the car though. VRT is paid on what Revenue think your car is worth.

Exactly ^

If something is a gift you don’t pay VAT or customs duties. If you buy something for £15 you don’t pay VAT or customs duties

As above, VAT and customs are based on the price you pay. The value of the good is irrelevant.

Revenue will 100% request 6 months bank statements to prove you didn’t transfer the company an additional say £25,000 the week before or something. And you’ll need to provide proof you actually won it in a raffle. If you can prove it then you won’t pay VAT or Customs.

VRT is the opposite, the price you pay is completely irrelevant. VRT is based on the value of the car.

Exactly ^

If something is a gift you don’t pay VAT or customs duties. If you buy something for £15 you don’t pay VAT or customs duties

As above, VAT and customs are based on the price you pay. The value of the good is irrelevant.

Revenue will 100% request 6 months bank statements to prove you didn’t transfer the company an additional say £25,000 the week before or something. And you’ll need to provide proof you actually won it in a raffle. If you can prove it then you won’t pay VAT or Customs.

VRT is the opposite, the price you pay is completely irrelevant. VRT is based on the value of the car.

I’d that’s true it makes the competition a lot more attractive so.

• Advertisement

VAT & Duty are paid on the price you paid for the car though. VRT is paid on what Revenue think your car is worth.

Ah ok. Makes sense now.

Advertisement