Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Has anyone heard anything about huge production delays for Mk8 Holds due to a shortage of semiconductors?

I saw from some UK dealers that it's anywhere between 24-30 weeks at the moment depending on the variant you ordered. GTIs and Rs are the worst affected.

I ordered a GTE back in early December and the brother ordered a GTI. We were originally told week 6 was our build time but the brother was told two weeks ago that he's now week 14.

Going to ring up the dealer later to find out how accurate these figures still are.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about huge production delays for Mk8 Holds due to a shortage of semiconductors?

I saw from some UK dealers that it's anywhere between 24-30 weeks at the moment depending on the variant you ordered. GTIs and Rs are the worst affected.

I ordered a GTE back in early December and the brother ordered a GTI. We were originally told week 6 was our build time but the brother was told two weeks ago that he's now week 14.

Going to ring up the dealer later to find out how accurate these figures still are.

There's a few on here waiting as well have a look a what he's discovered in the UK about production delays
    https://youtu.be/mg5yOsoyjS8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah, my Dad ordered a Tiguan in early November. It has a build week 9, so it’ll be well into March when he sees it. The dealer confirmed yesterday that there are big delays across all models.
    We don’t seem to ever get the huge delays that UK customers regularly get but it does look like the covid-induced parts shortage is going to affect Irish orders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you’re Dads car happens to be an R line Tiguan with the Easy open back that’s more than likely the delay there.

I haven’t noticed any major delays on Golfs, Ireland usual gets its own quota so maybe the UK have just oversold their quota.

Or it could be Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Did you get around to ringing your dealer about this?

L-M wrote: »
    If you’re Dads car happens to be an R line Tiguan with the Easy open back that’s more than likely the delay there.

I haven’t noticed any major delays on Golfs, Ireland usual gets its own quota so maybe the UK have just oversold their quota.

Or it could be Brexit.

Yes, it’s an R Line and it has that easy open pack. He ticked a good few options!

UK customers always seem to have horrid delays. When the MK7 GTI first came out, wait times there of 6+ months was common. I had mine in 10-12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone done any exhaust mods? Thinking a cat back at the moment over a res delete. Kinda worried about drone as a lot of my driving is motorway.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes, it’s an R Line and it has that easy open pack. He ticked a good few options!

UK customers always seem to have horrid delays. When the MK7 GTI first came out, wait times there of 6+ months was common. I had mine in 10-12 weeks.

Yeah the Easy open pack is the issue, I’ve a few ordered the same length of time and they’re build week 11/12.

Worth the wait unfortunately.

Anything without it is flying through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Anyone done any exhaust mods? Thinking a cat back at the moment over a res delete. Kinda worried about drone as a lot of my driving is motorway.

For a GTI or an R? I've a Clubsport S backbox on my Mk7 GTI and very pleased with it. Perfectly sociable at low revs, no drone on the motorway but has a nicer edge to it when pushing on. The larger 3" tips look better than the standard 2" ones in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

eljono wrote: »
    For a GTI or an R? I've a Clubsport S backbox on my Mk7 GTI and very pleased with it. Perfectly sociable at low revs, no drone on the motorway but has a nicer edge to it when pushing on. The larger 3" tips look better than the standard 2" ones in my opinion.

It’s for a Cupra estate but the results seem to be similar across the board. I’ve seen some swap the R exhaust on a Leon alright. The larger tips look a lot better. Clubsport exhaust sounds great in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Saw this on Pierce Motors VW page. Jesus it’s gorgeous.

6-B37-B542-C96-C-419-A-B868-C9-A35-A07-C038.jpg
    C7-E637-C4-A723-4-D3-A-8529-9-D1-DA88-B8-A3-D.jpg
    0181241-A-E53-B-481-A-AE7-F-37-A8629-A4-AE4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Is that the upgraded leather seats in that?
    Definitely not standard seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yep it is, those wheels work really well with the black.

Must be nigh on 50k in that spec so your probably better off going the extra bit and buying the Clubsport.

Although it's the same power as the 7.5 PP that everyone raved about so it can't exactly be a bad car or underpowered really.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yep it is, those wheels work really well with the black.

Must be nigh on 50k in that spec so your probably better off going the extra bit and buying the Clubsport.

Although it's the same power as the 7.5 PP that everyone raved about so it can't exactly be a bad car or underpowered really.

Thanks to the VRT bump due to the options I'd guess it's actually closer to €55k, more expensive than the Clubsport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

God bless the Greens.......

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

Lots of dealers advertising new GTI and GTD as POA.

Whats the big secret or are they price gouging due to supply problems?

Thanks to the VRT bump due to the options I'd guess it's actually closer to €55k, more expensive than the Clubsport.

Crazy. If I had the price of a new mk8 I'd be ordering it on the standard 18s and putting a set of freshly refurbished Pretorias with Michelin PS4S. Stick the 18s aside and swap them back on when selling or trading in.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Is that the upgraded leather seats in that?
    Definitely not standard seats.

Yes that’s what the leather option looks like, both standard car and CS.

The wheel option on that car have probably made it a more expensive car than a Clubsport due to the VRT hike and it’ll be €600 p/a to tax forever more!

Dave PP wrote: »
    Lots of dealers advertising new GTI and GTD as POA.

Whats the big secret or are they price gouging due to supply problems?

Not uncommon really across the brands when it’s pricey stuff.

• Advertisement

I would say it’s probably the fact the cars they’re advertising are already sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Enquired about the i30n in McCoys. The cost of change from my GTI was about 30% above what I would have thought.
    I'll keep it so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try selling it privately, GTis are not difficult to sell once they are priced realistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a 12v battery warning on the dash while sitting in the car for half an hour earlier. I'm still driving to work and run errands on my days off so car is never sitting, will it be ok once I'm driving again or is this one of those situations where the battery will die If not driven for a day or two and needs to be replaced?

Ironically it came on while I was talking to my sister after driving her to a dentist appointment after her own car died.

Mixed results on the usual forums, most just saying the battery is crap and that some people have a charger when it's sitting for more than two days which sounds excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the battery tested, you really get to know how good your battery is in these low temperatures. At the very least it will eliminate it as the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

Does anyone know of a place to get my Golf GTD remapped in Galway?

keithb93 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a place to get my Golf GTD remapped in Galway?

AP Performance out by Carnmore Cross. One of the best in the country, has a full 4wd dyno and all.

Did you get around to ringing your dealer about this?

Sorry, only noticed this now. I contacted the salesperson I ordered from and he said there's definitely going to be delays from what they're hearing but that VW cannot give them an accurate figure. He's hoping it won't be much more than an extra 2 or 3 weeks.

Low volume cars are the worst affected as they do not tend to have common configurations stockpiled like something such as Polo or a regular Golf might do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Sorry, only noticed this now. I contacted the salesperson I ordered from and he said there's definitely going to be delays from what they're hearing but that VW cannot give them an accurate figure. He's hoping it won't be much more than an extra 2 or 3 weeks.

Low volume cars are the worst affected as they do not tend to have common configurations stockpiled like something such as Polo or a regular Golf might do.

I was on to my dealer in the mean time also a and the realistic dates for delivery are now mid-May or June which means you're most likely gonna wait till July for the 212 plate. Bit of a pain...

Advertisement