Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

hooch-85 wrote: »
    AP Performance out by Carnmore Cross. One of the best in the country, has a full 4wd dyno and all.

Thanks Hooch. I wasnt sure if they were still running, theres no website that i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

keithb93 wrote: »
    Thanks Hooch. I wasnt sure if they were still running, theres no website that i can see.

Still in business alright. Check out his Instagram page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Was driving in NI tonight. Had cruise on 65mph tipping along and some car was driving up my hole for a few km, then overtook me. Immediately the car behind it flew out around me, and even though it was dark I knew it was a golf R. Black one with Cadiz wheels. Next thing it knocks the blue lights on and pulls the guy that over took me first. Not a bad office to be in flying about in an R getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Was driving in NI tonight. Had cruise on 65mph tipping along and some car was driving up my hole for a few km, then overtook me. Immediately the car behind it flew out around me, and even though it was dark I knew it was a golf R. Black one with Cadiz wheels. Next thing it knocks the blue lights on and pulls the guy that over took me first. Not a bad office to be in flying about in an R getting paid for it.

That A1 corridor north of Newry heading for Lisburn has always been a haven
    for fast "blues and twos". That "R" hangs around the Loughbrickland - Banbridge stretch. As well as the "R" there are a couple of extremely zealous bikes who sit under the overpasses. Previous incumbents had a penchant for T5 estates, W8 Passats and a Scoobie.... all, except the bikes, were clad in civies.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I was on to my dealer in the mean time also a and the realistic dates for delivery are now mid-May or June which means you're most likely gonna wait till July for the 212 plate. Bit of a pain...

Shane I see your car is gone from carzone did it sell or did you pull it? ... If you did you were right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Shane I see your car is gone from carzone did it sell or did you pull it? ... If you did you were right

I actually sold it. I've access to another car for the moment so it still works out well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I actually sold it. I've access to another car for the moment so it still works out well :)

Nice one. Hope the warranty situation worked out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's great that it sold so quickly!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nice one. Hope the warranty situation worked out :P

Hahaha don't start now Joe!! :p (but yes, it did! :p )

That's great that it sold so quickly!

Yea, sure is. I'm genuinely sad to see her go but she's gone to a good home so that's reassuring :)

Now roll on July for the Clubsport!! Only 5 months to go!!!

• Advertisement

Yea, sure is. I'm genuinely sad to see her go but she's gone to a good home so that's reassuring :)

Now roll on July for the Clubsport!! Only 5 months to go!!!

Are they really suggesting that a new one now has a 5-6 month lead time?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Are they really suggesting that a new one now has a 5-6 month lead time?

Mainly as it wouldn't make sense to collect in June as the 212 plate will be out a month later.

I've been told that production has halted and won't begin again until the start of April so realistically the earliest delivery date will probably be mid May.

Mainly as it wouldn't make sense to collect in June as the 212 plate will be out a month later.

I've been told that production has halted and won't begin again until the start of April so realistically the earliest delivery date will probably be mid May.

Jeez, production actually halted. That’s strange. I wonder is it lockdown related or simply due to components shortages....

Re the 212 plate, I don’t think it makes much difference tbh. It doesn’t have anywhere near the significance of the January plate. Fair enough if it was late June I’d probably wait the week or two, but I think if my car was ready to go in May / early June I’d be taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a global shortage of semiconductors that is impacting car manufacturers and they are used in a car's ECU.

Yeah so I heard but it’s certainly not affecting every manufacturer/model across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it might depend on when they were built and if they ordered a certain amount of the part well in advance of when the shortage took hold. Then you have some manufacturers especially Asian ones who tend to just manufacturer their models off the shelf rather than on demand with factory orders like VW. Obviously depends on the ECU manufacturer too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it might depend on when they were built and if they ordered a certain amount of the part well in advance of when the shortage took hold. Then you have some manufacturers especially Asian ones who tend to just manufacturer their models off the shelf rather than on demand with factory orders like VW. Obviously depends on the ECU manufacturer too.

Yeah I guess it varies. VW seem to be affected hard anyway. My father has a Tiguan ordered since November. Won’t see it before mid March. Meanwhile a friend ordered a BMW m135i around the same time and he’s collecting it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 reccit

Thinking about buying a MK5 GTI. Which would you go for?

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-volkswagen-golf/27043164, at ~300km with a recent engine rebuild(ish).

Or something like this donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-2007-200bhp-gti/27082828 - with less than half the mileage, but twice the price.

It will be a second car, so I'm reasonably inclined to go for the cheaper, high mileage with engine work? Am I mad?

//sorry can't post links properly as new user!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Strange that he spent 2 grand rebuilding the engine and didnt put a set of brake pads in it... And if you spent two grand doing it up, why sell it for just three grand.

Honestly, Id stay away from it.

For a weekend runner/second car, you might have more fun in the lower mileage manual car. Leather looks better on it too.

Edit: how will you manage with insurance for two cars? From what I have seen and heard, 'tis a bit of a ball ache.

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dave PP

reccit wrote: »
    Thinking about buying a MK5 GTI. Which would you go for?

donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-volkswagen-golf/27043164, at ~300km with a recent engine rebuild(ish).

Or something like this donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-2007-200bhp-gti/27082828 - with less than half the mileage, but twice the price.

It will be a second car, so I'm reasonably inclined to go for the cheaper, high mileage with engine work? Am I mad?

//sorry can't post links properly as new user!

This looks a lot better than either of those. I've no connection to seller.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/golf-gti-mk5-3-door-dsg-midnight-grey/27095997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My brother has a MK5 GTI and he got a very very reasonable renewal there last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Thoughts on this one? with the imports stopped are asking prices creeping up?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-r/27099840

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Saw that on autostadt yesterday. Looks very clean, well maintained and nicely specced.
    Overpriced though, especially for a private sale

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Saw that on autostadt yesterday. Looks very clean, well maintained and nicely specced.
    Overpriced though, especially for a private sale

Is that not a 3dr one on autostadt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

No same one, there might also be a 3 door up

541330.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Those wheels are just awful IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

L-M wrote: »

I quite like them. They are a light weight wheel which were on the Clubsport originally. They are a hell of a lot better than the standard GTi 18" wheels.. although the Refinits that came on the TCRs in black are very nice too.

Yeah, I dunno. I think Vw make some lovely wheels.

The reality is they could be off the shelf in Halfords and you wouldn’t reallty tell.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »

Ah here. VW produce some absolutely horrendous wheels these days, the wheels on the current and last generation GTI being prime examples. Those wheels on that TCR are a little under-sized for the car but they’re lightweight and were designed specifically for the MK7 CS. At least they made an effort then. Unlike now, where they’ve stuck a set of Quasqai wheels onto a 53k Clubsport.

Advertisement