Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Quite possible yes. There’s a standard GTI on Carzone on the 19’s and pan roof and it’s €56k. A Clubsport with the same spec would be a bit cheaper and of course cheaper to tax. Crazy.

However it happened, the GTI DSG is 168g Co2 and the CS is 1g less at 167. That 1gCo2 makes all the difference...

Nuts - https://www2.volkswagen.ie/en/used-cars/148963

It will grow roots................

Pity some poor sod :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

MoJoCaine wrote: »

Jesus that interior is dull

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jesus that interior is dull

Pictures really don’t do them justice to be honest. They’re a great place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sure wheels are easily swapped/upgraded if you find a car that ticks most of the other boxes. A set of prets would be far nicer anyway imo!

Keane’s had that white one for ages. I see the ad for it is gone now alright.

Ya, there's a few Grey TCRs in the UK on Prets and they suit the car alright.

The upgraded alloys are the only real deal breaker tbh, because I think the 19" suit the car better than the 18"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, there's a few Grey TCRs in the UK on Prets and they suit the car alright.

The upgraded alloys are the only real deal breaker tbh, because I think the 19" suit the car better than the 18"

I agree 19’s are preferable but if all else checks out - e.g. the car in Pierce’s - you could easily source a set of 19’s separately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

MoJoCaine wrote: »

So this standard gti is 5/6k more because of the wheels pushing it up a vrt band?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    So this standard gti is 5/6k more because of the wheels pushing it up a vrt band?

Exactly but speccing the 19s on the Clubsport doesn't have a similar effect.

I agree 19’s are preferable but if all else checks out - e.g. the car in Pierce’s - you could easily source a set of 19’s separately.

If herself didn't have a white Polo GT, id have taken the white TCR from Frank Keynes in a heartbeat.

I'm happy enough to wait for something to pop up anyway that would tick all or most of the boxes.

There was only around 30 TCRs sold in the country as far as I know so you might be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

Around how many performance Golfs are generally sold in Ireland each year? Brand new I mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

You can get that info on beep beep.ie.

Screenshot-20210131-115725-com-android-chrome.jpg

This is any 2l petrol model so both R and GTi.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    There was only around 30 TCRs sold in the country as far as I know so you might be waiting.

Ya that's the issue, I read only 20 came to Ireland and the white one in FK was the only I seen with Akrapovic and Reifnitz.

I seen a Grey UK import pre Xmas in Des Golden in Cork with the above spec but I can't see anyone sourcing one from the UK in a rush to sell unless their personal circumstances changed drastically.

Sell the Polo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Well, alloys are always contentious, but here goes anyway.

I've been thinking about changing the alloys for a while now. The car was bought with 19 inch Cadiz which I like, but after 4 years I felt it was time for a change.

I'm probably on my own here, but I never really like the Prets, but I saw these Gloss black Revo alloys in Daltons about 2 years back and I had been teasing myself since then.

2394_Revo+RF019+Gloss+Black_md.jpg

At my recent service interval, I pulled the trigger with some money I found down behind the couch. I think the gloss black sets off well against the pearlescent white, the gloss black sunroof, gloss black A Pillar and tinted windows on the back. Really pleased with the result, the pix and appalling weather really don't do them justice....

1UfZHIh.png
    Q5fizes.png

And on original Cadiz.
    mDdNR0B.png

I also treated myself to 4 x Michelin Pilot Spot 4s - a little earlier than I had planned, but it does mean I now have 4 Cadiz alloys with pretty good Pirelli P Zeros that I will put back on the car when (if) I decide to ever sell it.

With new alloys and tyres, car feels like new. :D

More info on the alloys from Revo site here

OK, bring on the hate :)

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya that's the issue, I read only 20 came to Ireland and the white one in FK was the only I seen with Akrapovic and Reifnitz.

I seen a Grey UK import pre Xmas in Des Golden in Cork with the above spec but I can't see anyone sourcing one from the UK in a rush to sell unless their personal circumstances changed drastically.

If the Reifnitz are the only real deal breaker, why not just buy a set after you buy the car? Ok, they are going to be pricey but the 18s on the TCR are also pricey so you could make a good chunk of that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Muppet Man wrote: »

I'm probably on my own here, but I never really like the Prets, but I saw these Gloss black Revo alloys in Daltons about 2 years back and I had been teasing myself since then.
    Muppet Man

You're not alone on the prets! Can't understand the love for them either to be brutally honest :(

Those black revo's look well on the white.

The Cadiz wheels have aged well I think. Looks great on your before picture. New wheels look good too, nice putting your own touch on a car.

Looks well muppet man. Lightweight wheel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Wheels look savage. Black is difficult to capture in photos so I'm sure they look lovely in person. Anyone know the weight difference? I've heard GTI/R wheels are fairly light in terms of an OEM wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Wheels look savage. Black is difficult to capture in photos so I'm sure they look lovely in person. Anyone know the weight difference? I've heard GTI/R wheels are fairly light in terms of an OEM wheel.

I was interested in this too so had a look. From what I can find online, one person said 19" Pretorias weigh 9.6kg and another said they weigh 10.06kg. The Revo ones are 10kg so you're either saving an incredibly small amount or gaining a bit. You'd save about 800g coming from 19" Cadiz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

vintagevrs wrote: »
    You can get that info on beep beep.ie.

Screenshot-20210131-115725-com-android-chrome.jpg

This is any 2l petrol model so both R and GTi.

Thanks for that. I wonder what the shortfall will be for available used performance Golfs now without imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Probably one of the best spec GTi's for sale but been for sale for a while now ... What's wrong with it?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-p-2-0tsi-245hp-5dr-auto/26641544

I don’t know the car nor the lad who had it but it was based around my neck of the woods for a short while. The previous owner only kept it 4-5 months. In that time I believe he spent ~€1500 on a paint protection coating. He then had it up as a private sale on DD (I believe he just needed to release the cash!) and Graham Walker bought it off him. GW’s had it since October-ish.

It’s a bit strong money wise but the spec is incomparable to anything else out there. If of course the spec is of any value to a particular buyer.
    hooch-85 wrote: »
    That same car was for sale privately in Galway for around 34-35k a month or two ago, wily old Graham snapped it up quick.
    Probably one of the best spec GTi's for sale but been for sale for a while now ... What's wrong with it?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-gti-p-2-0tsi-245hp-5dr-auto/26641544

I'd say confidently there's nothing wrong with it but the seller might not have loads of margin on it and so folk with trade ins might be seeing a cost to change that's higher then they'd like.

Lots of folk spending €40k on a Golf GTi will only spend it in a VAG dealer also or at least a main dealer of some brand.

Lovely car, small market IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

From what I've heard about that car, there was a genuine reason for the previous owner selling so soon after buying, and there was a good bit of love put into the car over the few months the owner had it. I imagine it was sold to Graham Walker because the owner wanted the money quickly and it's easier to sell to a garage than wait for a buyer for a private sale of a 35k car.

I'd imagine there's not much wrong with it, but as mentioned elsewhere, limited market. I know if I was trading up to a 7.5 and spending that money, I'd be looking for something with a Das Welt attached.

yeah, I agree with above. Lovely car with a very rare spec but the pool of buyers out there who'd appreciate the extra spec and are willing to pay for it is very small. At not far off 40k, you'll have buyers looking at the new MK8 GTI instead for a few K more on much cheaper finance, 3 year warranty, new car smell, etc etc.

A salesman told me before that fresh used cars can be hard enough to shift, as they're often not cheap enough to consider over a brand new one.

The R also seems to be the stronger seller in the used market too, but at the 28-32k level.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

yeah, I agree with above. Lovely car with a very rare spec but the pool of buyers out there who'd appreciate the extra spec and are willing to pay for it is very small. At not far off 40k, you'll have buyers looking at the new MK8 GTI instead for a few K more on much cheaper finance, 3 year warranty, new car smell, etc etc.

A salesman told me before that fresh used cars can be hard enough to shift, as they're often not cheap enough to consider over a brand new one.

That " New car smell “ would do it for me everytime and of course the warranty :) and your right you'd get a new car for a few k more

I figured sales people use fresh 2nd hand cars to sell new cars. In 2014 I went to look at a newish/demo GTi that was local to me. The salesman said take it for a spin. Then explained that a new one would be better value for the reasons mentioned above. I got the impression the asking price was artificially optimistic to sell new cars instead. It feckin' worked too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

How much was it to spec keyless entry/push button start on a 7.5 R? It seems a lot of the 40k+ examples for sale don't have it.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    How much was it to spec keyless entry/push button start on a 7.5 R? It seems a lot of the 40k+ examples for sale don't have it.

About €450.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Worth every cent to lock the car with your pinky while struggling with bags of shopping :D

Advertisement