Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

Wasn’t (isn’t?) Maxol E5 99 RON?

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Am I imagining things or did Shell not do 98 ron years ago?
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    It must be at least 15-20 years, possibly more, since we’ve had anything here other than 95. If you see “premium” at any filling station here today it’s nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Texaco had a 98 product back in 2000 and for a few years afterwards.
    In 2007 I'd a Jap yoke and nowhere had anything other than 95.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

Circle K do advertise a 97 (?) fuel on their website. Maybe there's one station in the country selling it?

https://www.circlek.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/CK_TDS_miles_unleaded_97_EN_vF2_IE.pdf

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I have OBD11 and based just outside Limerick. PM me and we can try arrange something

Thanks a million for sorting out the light earlier, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Thanks a million for sorting out the light earlier, much appreciated

No problem buddy, what goes around comes around. Best of luck with your new car.

• Advertisement

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Is there a noticeable difference running it on the premium stuff? Been tempted but haven’t tried it yet.

Myself and the missus took my MK5 across France, down to the Italian boarder a few years back.
    Was buying the 98ron the whole way and the car sounded different and felt better but that could have been in my head.
    Filled up with 98ron before getting the boat back.
    About a week later I thought there was something wrong with the car,felt dead or something ,it was then I remembered I had filled it up with 95ron so my belief was cemented !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Looks like I’ll have to take a spin down to the Italian border!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MoJoCaine

Remember the PSNI Type R - ref a couple of pages back.
    Well here it is yesterday :D
    - https://twitter.com/PegSeptic/status/1358795495989198851

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

The star of the video is yer Wan in the red coat brilliant.. Shame the golf will be off the road for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

They have plenty of them it seems. Two in that video and the one that passed me was black.

Years ago I got a flat tyre on the motorway outside Belfast. While waiting for recovery truck a black R32 pulled up sharply behind me. Asked was I getting sorted, which I said I was. Said he'd check back in a little while and wished me luck. Then took off and floored the vr6 and went about his day.

Edit, just copped that video is shortened, Blue R shows up later in this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/lfbvy2/pregnant_woman_in_car_stolen_by_her_partner_is/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Fwox

Got my GTI back in Sep, it's a 162 MK7. Under harsher acceleration I often get loud bangs through the cabin, sounds like the front wheels are shaped like old 50p coins and can't catch grip:p

Seems a common issue on the MQB platform, can anyone advise if it's just the engine mounts that need to be changed, seems to be the common advise on YT videos, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

You can upgrade the lower torque mount. I had this done and it removed any wheel hop from my Cupra. Problem I had with that then was there was additional vibration in the cabin which annoyed me so I removed it.

Happy medium is good quality tyres as I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

Fwox wrote: »
    Got my GTI back in Sep, it's a 162 MK7. Under harsher acceleration I often get loud bangs through the cabin, sounds like the front wheels are shaped like old 50p coins and can't catch grip:p

Seems a common issue on the MQB platform, can anyone advise if it's just the engine mounts that need to be changed, seems to be the common advise on YT videos, thanks!

What tyres are on it, and what's the wear like? As above, quality tyres will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fwox

I may try the lower torque mount and see if the vibrations go after a few hundred miles or if it’s tolerable after that amount of time! Tyres are Pilot Sport Fours with about 6 months left on them. Can’t wait to get some fresh rubber!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Quick query about a New 211 Polo Trendline that's just been delivered ?

Trying to get the app connect working for an Android phone and I'm getting the following message "To enable App Connect, Contact your Dealer".

Is App Connect a paid for service or am I missing something on the setup ?

I know this is a GOLF Tread, but most on here know their stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Sounds like Android Auto hasn't been enabled and you need to purchase the licence for it. I did so on my Golf via my dealer, think it was around €150 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Quick query about a New 211 Polo Trendline that's just been delivered ?

Trying to get the app connect working for an Android phone and I'm getting the following message "To enable App Connect, Contact your Dealer".

Is App Connect a paid for service or am I missing something on the setup ?

I know this is a GOLF Tread, but most on here know their stuff :)

Actually got the answer, there. The Model is the trendline without the Discovery Pro Media, so apparently Android Auto is not available with the lower spec...

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Have the original tyres on my GTI (standard 230bhp) 18 225/40 Bridgestone Potenza.

I found they awful, lacking grip most of the time, but specially on damp roads.

Was looking at the Michelin PS4, the Michelin PS4s don’t seem to be available at this time, but the PS4 seems to have some good reviews.

Anyone running the Michelin’s ? Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Had the potenzas on my last car, bmw 535d, and they were, as you say, dreadful. No grip in damp conditions whatsoever. Couldn't wait to get them off and switched to the PS4. World of a difference. Loads of grip in the wet. Would be perfect for the GTi imo. I believe the PS4s don't grip as well in the wet but better in the dry for spirited driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

OSI wrote: »
    If it offers the option then it can be enabled, but as above it’s a paid for feature. I’m not sure what the current activation cost is but it used to be around 150-200

Unfortunately on the particular radio the Trendline Polo comes with, even those it’s offered by pressing the App button, it’s not available.

Learned the hard way on that one sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

bikedude wrote: »
    Anyone running the Michelin’s ? Any other recommendations?

Continental Premium Contact 6 very good grip in both the wet and dry conditions.

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 are very good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 5 are very good also.

Agreed. On my second set of ASy5s now on GTI after having a set of Asy3s previously. Very good traction and grip in most conditions I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I've been very impressed with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports I have on mine. I'm not sure how much better or different they are to the Asymmetric 5s though.

I think the Eagle F1 Supersports are in the same high performance category as the Michelin PS4S (these replaced the old Pilot Super Sport). The Asymmetric 5 would be in the same category as the PS4 and as OP is looking for 18" I think only the PS4 is available, not PS4S unless things have changed recently as I noted the new Yaris GR with the circuit pack does have PS4S in 18" but these could be a one off OEM.

I haven't tried the F1 Supersports but I have had the both PS4S and the Assymetric 5 on my Golf R and found both to be excellent to be honest but the Michelins are that bit better in the dry. I don't think I'd change from them again, a little pricey especially in 19" but worth it. They seem to wear very well and have good durability too so in the long run it would probably balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The 4 S is available in 225/40/18 and 235/40/18 according to Michelin's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

The Asymmetric 5 would be in the same category as the PS4 and as OP is looking for 18" I think only the PS4 is available, not PS4S unless things have changed recently as I noted the new Yaris GR with the circuit pack does have PS4S in 18" but these could be a one off OEM.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

They have the size showing in the Michelin website for Ireland as a “new” option fot the PS4’s but a contacted a few places and they said they can not get the PS4s at the moment, might need to wait a bit more.

Will have a look at the Goodyear’s seems like lots of people have good experience with then.

Got quoted 135 a corner for the PS4 fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngl2R41O1NQ&t=334s

thought this might be of interest to some on here that may not have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

carsfan2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngl2R41O1NQ&t=334s

thought this might be of interest to some on here that may not have seen it.

I've seen that recently. It's interesting the difference it lack there of between the Clubsport and the R once you're moving.

I wonder if there was a similar comparison done between the mk7.5 R and TCR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

I wonder if there was a similar comparison done between the mk7.5 R and TCR

Yes, saw a few and the tcr is the faster car once moving. It's over 100 kilos lighter and only 10hp down on power. R quicker off the mark with the 4 wheel drive.

Advertisement