Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

here's one in silver which is one of the nicest colours with the only extras you need. Still expensive. I would definitely have clubsport over R I think

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102108923230?journey=Search

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »
    here's one in silver which is one of the nicest colours with the only extras you need. Still expensive. I would definitely have clubsport over R I think

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/fpa/202102108923230?journey=Search

I think I’d like to spec DCC and the other wheel option if I had the choice, but otherwise agree, silver is one of the better colours on it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

They're saying that the Clubsport is limited edition which it isn't. Getting themselves mixed up with the last Clubsport by the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

SaintsYB wrote: »
    They're saying that the Clubsport is limited edition which it isn't. Getting themselves mixed up with the last Clubsport by the sound of it.

Accidentally on purpose im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

One good thing about Covid - no more diesel for me. Got it a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Badger2009 wrote: »
    One good thing about Covid - no more diesel for me. Got it a couple of weeks ago.

Lovely, GTI’s are fantastic in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Comhra wrote: »
    I don't know but to me €66,250 for a Golf, no matter if it were gold-plated, is insane. :eek:

100% agree but all car prices have gone through the roof recently, €70,000 Civic Type R, €90,000 A45’s.

SaintsYB wrote: »

I doubt if there is anything sinister/underhanded in it. Another case of a salesman not knowing the product he's selling. Very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think I’d like to spec DCC and the other wheel option if I had the choice, but otherwise agree, silver is one of the better colours on it imo.

I agree. That’s ideal spec. I prefer the estoril wheel too. You must agree though Joe prices have gotten crazy.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I agree. That’s ideal spec. I prefer the estoril wheel too. You must agree though Joe prices have gotten crazy.

I completely agree. A chief reason I haven’t bothered ordering (yet)!

But like others have said, prices have gone nuts across the board, particularly of course for performance petrols. I don’t have the heart/interest to look at EV’s / phevs and certainly never another diesel.

Someone told me that a top spec ID3 is a couple of K more expensive than a Golf R in the UK. Here the R is about 20K more than a top spec ID3. Something isn’t right there, the taxman is pretty much taxing ICE’s out of the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can thank the Greens for some of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Badger2009 wrote: »

Smashing car... Red fab colour... Well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can thank the Greens for some of that.

Which is also driving a big increase in demand for battery metals here in Europe. The greens want the ICE gone but you cant built EV's without extracting lots of Lithium, cobalt, copper, etc from the ground. The greens are also anti mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

On another note I heard that 2 Golf Rs stolen recently. One in Dublin and one in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’m not really a fan of black cars but this looks great.

That does look fantastic. It’s their demo afaik. Best wheels too - but as discussed previously, they’re an expensive option/mistake on the standard car.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

Feel so poor on this thread :( haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

easyvision wrote: »
    Feel so poor on this thread :( haha

I think a large chunk of those that would have bought GTIs/Rs would have been somewhat stretching financially, and the new pricing/taxes put the cars beyond man maths.

It’s no longer a fast car for the average person.

I wonder will there be some revised versions to try and address the VRT, but given the small Irish market, unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

I still have an alert on donedeal for Golfs, 2.0 Petrol 2013> which should capture all MK7 Golf GTi's and R's on the website. There are currently 77 ads that fall into that criteria. My guess is there is probably another 20 or so on carzone/cars ireland that aren't on donedeal, so give or take 100 to chose from on the Irish market.

I wonder what it'll be like in 2026 when we are trying to buy 5 year old MK8's. With the door now effectively shut on imports, my bet is there will be less than half that to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Yeah and I think buy when no one else is buying is a good idea at times. This will help residuals. Mk6 gtis that were a few years old and had shítty spec carried a healthy price.

My worry would be that so few are sold that vw do something drastic with the price or figure out a better vrt fitment and then you get royally stung. As people can get a new one cheaper, and then more people buy and 2nd market is healthy and your 60k golf is 35k in two years time.

Doesn't apply to me anyway as it's waaaay more than I'll be spending on a car any time soon, or probably ever.

What we have to remember is Ireland is really the **** on the edge of the European shoe when it comes to car sales. We sell in a year what would be sold in England in a month, so unfortunately neither Ze Germans nor Vw Ireland care if we still 1 or 100 Golf performances models each year because at the end of the day... they just count as a “Golf” sale.

L-M wrote: »
    What we have to remember is Ireland is really the **** on the edge of the European shoe when it comes to car sales. We sell in a year what would be sold in England in a month, so unfortunately neither Ze Germans nor Vw Ireland care if we still 1 or 100 Golf performances models each year because at the end of the day... they just count as a “Golf” sale.

What you say makes sense, but it's not true.

When the previous R was released in 2014, it was over priced. VW Ireland sold I think 2. VW said "Was zum Teufel machst du irisch?". VW Ireland said no Irish man is gonna buy a golf for 54k, so they knocked 10k off the list price.

Screenshot-20210217-214000-com-android-chrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I still have an alert on donedeal for Golfs, 2.0 Petrol 2013>

Did you spot anything nice, I know someone in the market for a new enough R, not a lot to choose from.

vintagevrs wrote: »

When the previous R was released in 2014, it was over priced. VW Ireland sold I think 2. VW said "Was zum Teufel machst du irisch?". VW Ireland said no Irish man is gonna buy a golf for 54k, so they knocked 10k off the list price.

IMG]

That probably came from the factory because all sales were slow, not just Irelands. That or they just over priced it here in the first place.

What’s wrong now is the VRT has made them dearer, not Vw Ireland or Vw Germany.

It could happen, but very unlikely anything worth talking about.

vintagevrs wrote: »

Screenshot-20210217-214000-com-android-chrome.jpg

Exactly Vintage. Remember our chats with the fella in VW Ireland at the time ;)

VW Germany absolutely do care about shifting units - performance stuff included. They had the Irish distributor slash the prices and bump up the specs in 2014 for that very reason. I don’t see a repeat of that this time unfortunately as the situation is a bit different now. The VRT is the problem now.

Yeah I get that, but my point was they could potentially get a bit clever with co2 or the like to meet a lower vrt band and claim a 290bhp version or the like, they do have form here :).

Agree it's unlikely though...

Maybe. Or they could strip spec back. Delete a few of the big ticket items on the current standard spec and make the entry level car appear cheaper on paper. That feels like a more likely scenario...

We know where being clever with Co2s for them before... lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Did you spot anything nice, I know someone in the market for a new enough R, not a lot to choose from.
    There are a few nice ones but prices are mad for 2-3 year old cars imo. There are a couple of 2018 cars up for 40-42k and 2019s asking 45-47.

This one is decent enough value but it's not from a main dealer.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2018-volkswagen-golf-r-310-dsg-4-motion/27166310

Advertisement