Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭User1998

Just saw this on Instagram too, not sure if the link will work for non Instagram users

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCDwNxqHZOg/?igshid=1q17qplp7t5pu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wasn't a fan of that giant extended grill but I think it looks alright now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

For me personally, last generation from best to worse looking was:

Leon
    Golf
    Octavia

This generation:

Leon
    Octavia
    Golf

From all 3, Leon looks best in normal trims and we haven't really seen cupra version yet.

Golf looks okay in gti/R trim, but very ugly in normal trim.

Octavia really did a good job, in my opinion, looks very smart and maybe even nicest interior. Really big improvement over last model, a specially that split headlight face-lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

split headlight face-lift.

Hated that too

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

OSI wrote: »
    The new logos on the VWs look absolutely awful. Like when someone sends you a document with a font you don't have installed on your computer so it just spits out the bare minimum.

Or your inkjet printer’s ink is running out! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The logo actually looks good in person and funnily loads of customers have commented how much the like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

shanec1928 wrote: »
    And now the hysteria of the mk8 has died down and people are now coming on board liking it. Happens every model :pac:

Still hate it. Looks Korean and has two many doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

shanec1928 wrote: »
    And now the hysteria of the mk8 has died down and people are now coming on board liking it. Happens every model :pac:

The Leon is a lot more attractive

https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/SEAT/Leon/Leon_TSI_FR_(2020)/1691/10233/2020-SEAT-Leon-TSI-FR-(2020)-review.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Don't want to derail the thread but lots of Golf owners in here so i'll ask here!

I've a Mk7.5 Golf. Whenever i use Android Auto and disconnect the cable...the next time i get into the car it connects via bluetooth if i dont connect the USB. That's fine but it ALWAYS asks for access to my messages, despite giving it permission it seems to be reset every time i connect back to Android Auto.

Anyone come across this before? Have tried multiple Android phones...same problem doesn't happen with an iPhone funnily enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭theintern

That's actually a great question. It does this in my MK7 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My Android phone updated to Android V. 10 recently and it seems that since then, it has affected how my phone interacts with Android Auto in Mk7 GTI.

Plug the phone in, everything connects as usual, but when I play audio, it comes through the phone speakers and not the car's speakers. I can't find a setting on the phone or the ICE to change this, bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

eljono wrote: »
    My Android phone updated to Android V. 10 recently and it seems that since then, it has affected how my phone interacts with Android Auto in Mk7 GTI.

Plug the phone in, everything connects as usual, but when I play audio, it comes through the phone speakers and not the car's speakers. I can't find a setting on the phone or the ICE to change this, bizarre.

Having switched back to Android after having an iPhone, Apple car play is much more stable than Android Auto. There seems to be always some annoying issue with it!

Not sure it's a VW thing or android auto in general

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pacifico wrote: »
    Having switched back to Android after having an iPhone, Apple car play is much more stable than Android Auto. There seems to be always some annoying issue with it!

Not sure it's a VW thing or android auto in general

There's always one :rolleyes:

That's a great question, I guess I've just gotten used to it. Anytime I connect to USB the Bluetooth access notification pops up and sounds through the car speakers, both Android 9 and 10.

In saying that though Android Auto in the Golf works very well. Even though it's purely supposed to mirror your screen and your phone does the work, other cars have poor implementation of it. Some cars don't pause the music when you lower the volume to 0.

I get the occasional issue where music doesn't play (can't change track or volume) but reconnecting helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I have a 181 mk7.5 and have 0 issues with android auto. S10e with Android 10.
    Had an iPhone before and it worked fine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Newgate Motors Navan 2017 Golf R 3 door less than 26000 km €35950 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,187 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eljono wrote: »

It's the input source settings on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Have you tried completely deleting the Bluetooth connection from both the car and the radio and doing it again?

On most android phones there’s a “Always ask” box that you may have ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Thoughts on this for value? NCT just passed, 4 new tyres, clutch and dual mass flywheel done, FSH, nice colour.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-gti/25321062

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

I will be putting my VW Golf GTI up for sale in the coming weeks Incase there is anyone interested on here drop me a PM. It’s a 181 GTI PP 245DSG 5dr in white. Has the Tech pack, Pan roof, 19 inch Brescia alloys original Irish car full VW service history 48k km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

CIP4 wrote: »
    I will be putting my VW Golf GTI up for sale in the coming weeks Incase there is anyone interested on here drop me a PM. It’s a 181 GTI PP 245DSG 5dr in white. Has the Tech pack, Pan roof, 19 inch Brescia alloys original Irish car full VW service history 48k km.

Grab some pics and put it on autostadt on Facebook, probably the best place to advertise it.

Are you replacing it with something?

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Are you replacing it with something?

I will be buying a replacement car alright but nothing specific picked out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,187 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would you not tune it for a while before moving it on, really opens up the car, you'll see it's true potential.

I will be buying a replacement car alright but nothing specific picked out yet.

I’m slightly surprised that you’re moving it on although you do have past form for this, haha :P
    Any reason in particular for moving it on; you bored with it? As DM said maybe getting a tune would change your mind. I’ll be doing that with mine probably next year at this stage but I intend to keep mine.

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    I’m slightly surprised that you’re moving it on although you do have past form for this, haha :P
    Any reason in particular for moving it on; you bored with it? As DM said maybe getting a tune would change your mind. I’ll be doing that with mine probably next year at this stage but I intend to keep mine.

The main reason is because I can :pac: I change my cars quite often as I am in a position to do it at this stage in my life I’m sure as time goes on and I get more commitments I won’t be changing cars so often but will worry about that when I get there. Most people see it as a waste of money and it is to an extent but there are plenty of other areas I don’t waste money so it cancels out.

I find the GTI fine power wise it’s a quick car tbh making it faster wouldn’t make me want to keep it so would be a pure waste of money from that point of view.

Here's one for the experts, spotted on the autostadt group on Facebook, but boards is better for discussion.

An Irish reg 2018 7.5 R, without a digital dash, listed as a UK import, but kmph clocks. What's the story with this one?

Looks to be a "Grid Edition" which I've never heard of. It's had an interesting 31,000kms where ever its come from.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2-0-tsi-4motion-dsg/25325557

Didn't the UK have the option to spec old school dials instead of the digital dash when it came out? Pretty sure I saw a few people on the Golf R forums saying they were getting them as a free option.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Didn't the UK have the option to spec old school dials instead of the digital dash when it came out? Pretty sure I saw a few people on the Golf R forums saying they were getting them as a free option.

And swapped from miles to kms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

theintern wrote: »
    And swapped from miles to kms?

Possibly

I swapped Golf dials before exporting one a few years ago. It's straightforward.

IMG-20200718-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200718-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200718-WA0002.jpg

Advertisement