Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L-M wrote: »
    The 19inch wheels increase the CO2 by 1 gram on both cars but for some reason the Clubsport has 2 CO2s less than the next VRT bracket where as the GTI has one. So if you spec them on the GTI it increases the VRT by 4/5 percent

Any such trick with the Tiguan R, the road tax on it make baby jesus cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Here's a quote for clubsport - almost bang on Joe!

Hmmmm, wonder how he knew that? Any confessions for the parish Joe, we won't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Hmmmm, wonder how he knew that? Any confessions for the parish Joe, we won't judge.

:pac:

I did make some enquires on it a couple of months ago but I didn't go beyond that. I wasn't looking at putting anything like 17k in as a deposit, but the monthlies were a little higher than the above example - around €520-530 I think with around 12k deposit.

With a GMFV of 22.5k, after 3 years you should have at least 9-10k equity, maybe even a bit more.

Any such trick with the Tiguan R, the road tax on it make baby jesus cry.

I saw an amusing comment on this one elsewhere during the week, something like:
    If you could PCP the road tax, the country would be full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I saw an amusing comment on this one elsewhere during the week, something like:

That’s cAlled a Lease, they’ll be along next year lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To be fair every car is mad money these days. A 1.5 DSG Golf with wheels and a few moderate options is €36-37k, that's without a sunroof, leather or sound system. A similar spec A3 is €44-45k and these are fairly standard small hatchbacks. The price only goes up from there.

I'd sooner buy a €50k performance Golf than a big diesel executive saloon I don't need like a few people I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

DaveyDave wrote: »
    To be fair every car is mad money these days. A 1.5 DSG Golf with wheels and a few moderate options is €36-37k, that's without a sunroof, leather or sound system. A similar spec A3 is €44-45k and these are fairly standard small hatchbacks. The price only goes up from there.

I'd sooner buy a €50k performance Golf than a big diesel executive saloon I don't need like a few people I know...
    I think if going for a new dsg golf gti in Ireland, it’s a no brainer to stretch to the clubsport model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I think if going for a new dsg golf gti in Ireland, it’s a no brainer to stretch to the clubsport model though.

It would be nice alright, it might be just about out of my budget but it will be at least 6 months before I'm shopping around so we'll see what the man maths is like closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

51-AA8151-DC55-4-EC7-9342-87-A8-FE87461-B.jpg
    79-E34-A92-A5-D6-4-E47-9-C1-C-A15-BFF0-BD658.jpg
    4-F9-B31-AA-0-E34-4-DBE-9-EAB-10-C3-EF49663-A.jpg
    13963-A6-A-A8-C5-424-C-965-D-3-BC444-E3-C5-EE.jpg
    47-AD6944-6-FA1-45-CB-BCEB-6-DC14-FE7-FFBC.jpg
    17-F768-A4-A5-AF-4-E8-F-BBFA-E0405-E012-B30.jpg
    F26-AC82-A-CF84-447-E-B2-E5-36-E4-B45-F9969.jpg
    BED40713-2623-41-AD-AEC6-4-B1-B7-B2-BF475.jpg
    BB48-EEDA-D817-4591-A0-A1-5-BAFCDC0-AD8-E.jpg
    91-BF26-BA-25-D8-44-EB-8-E63-A6-EBE47-FEFE8.jpg
    91-B8-BA71-754-D-4048-94-D1-CC232201-A649.jpg
    1-E77-E2-C5-42-BA-4-A1-E-9-B61-9-CA5-A9-C6-A91-B.jpg
    D2-E1-A5-B8-4-B98-4563-8238-DEEBBBBD3-B55.jpg

• Advertisement

Whoa the leather! Jaysus.

It’s like something out of a 1950s American diner lol.

Amazing car otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is the heated steering wheel standard? Or winter pack?

Standard.

Pretty sure but Joea3 might correct me that heated steering wheel is an extra.

Those alloys are the best by a mile of the choice for the gti.

Standard spec on the VW site when I checked earlier. Could be wrong!

€974 extra for those wheels

Pretty sure but Joea3 might correct me that heated steering wheel is an extra.

Those alloys are the best by a mile of the choice for the gti.

I *think* the heated wheel might be standard but in order to get heated seats you need to spec the winter pack - or leather gives you it too.

Not too keen on that leather though and it’s big money as it also adds electric/memory function.

MarkN wrote: »
    Standard spec on the VW site when I checked earlier. Could be wrong!

€974 extra for those wheels

Plus the VRT implications Mark. Those wheels push that car up into the next band, so 5% more VRT on the entire car and €600 p/a tax.

Car does look excellent though, great photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Jesus those seats are erm.... Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Will you have a video up soon Mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Jesus those seats are erm.... Interesting

I like them!

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Will you have a video up soon Mark?

Probably take me until after the weekend, will see how I get on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭eggy81

The boot looks a bit bigger than the mk7. They’re starting to grow on me I have to say.

eggy81 wrote: »
    The boot looks a bit bigger than the mk7. They’re starting to grow on me I have to say.

It’s the exact same funnily enough.

The car is pretty much the exact same size

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

What kind of things are you looking for? Interior or performance?

Is the performance not the same? From the reviews I’ve seen some say the ride is a bit harsher on the 8. Have you reviewed it and the clubsport yet?

Edit: Just seen that you have one now!

Clubsport in May, hoping to get an R in the next few weeks. It is firm but copes ok from the driving I’ve done on it via back roads to Malahide. A more sedate car compared to many other hot hatches in terms of how it doesn’t make a fuss, no pops and bangs, no dynamic mode, it just does everything including moving at a quick pace relatively under the radar. It’s still the one you’d want though overall, don’t care what anyone says!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Would love to see you get your hands on the 128ti Mark to compare them!

My brother bought a 240i last week (2018) less than price of a new GTI.. bit of an unfair comparison though !

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Wailin wrote: »
    Would love to see you get your hands on the 128ti Mark to compare them!

They look interesting. In the uk I think they are slightly cheaper than a gti but here around the price of the clubsport.

Just checked and Heated steering wheel is part of winter pack according to the product guide not standard.

While very desirable car I just think they have gone too expensive in mark 8 version without offering a usp over a mark 7. As drunk monkey showed you can get a loaded mark 7.5 for substantially less.

• Advertisement

Just checked and Heated steering wheel is part of winter pack according to the product guide not standard.

While very desirable car I just think they have gone too expensive in mark 8 version without offering a usp over a mark 7. As drunk monkey showed you can get a loaded mark 7.5 for substantially less.

Heated wheel is standard. Look again, it’s listed under the “Interior equipment” on the GTI page. It’s also listed under the winter pack too but that’s probably because in models lower down the range the heated wheel comes with the winter pack. The winter pack is actually more expensive on a base spec Golf than the GTI for this reason.

I don’t think the 7.5 is substantially cheaper either tbh. 42-45K for the few fresh examples on Carzone.

Advertisement