Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I see it there now. Assumed when it was part of a pack wouldn’t be standard.
    I knew you’d be right Joe!

I agree and disagree re mark 7/7.5 vs 8 price wise.
    If you want the latest and a brand new car then mark 8 but if you were spending cash as opposed to pcp I don’t think you’re at all short changed with a one or two year old mark 7.5

The price of all new cars has gone mad in last couple of years I think. However I think residual values will probably harden due to short supply from fewer imports

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah, it’s all relative. Paying 40k for a car that’s worth 20k three years old versus Paying 55 for a car that’s worth 35.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

The Edition 45 pack is to cost around £3k in the UK according to volkswizard but comes with the alloys, decals and an Akrapovic exhaust. What's it likely to cost here? €5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

SaintsYB wrote: »
    The Edition 45 pack is to cost around £3k in the UK according to volkswizard but comes with the alloys, decals and an Akrapovic exhaust. What's it likely to cost here? €5k?

The exhaust alone here is over 4.5k. Wheels another 1k or so.
    I’d guesstimate a 7k premium over the CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

According to Auto Express the Edition 45 is based on the standard GTi rather than the Clubsport though. No mention of what bhp it will have though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is anyone actually thinking of pulling the trigger on something. I flicked through the start of part of this thread from end of 2014 start of 2015 when the mk7 performance variants were relatively new and seemed to be plenty of posters that had pulled the trigger then.

One of the posts from someone who had just ordered I think an R said his salesman confirmed that dealer had 7 Rs and 1 GTi orders in. The thread seemed to be hopping with people buying them and talking about specs, build weeks and delivery times. Just not getting the same vibe here about the mk8. Interestingly though that might make it a decent buy as was just mentioned, it will hold its value well. I'd imagine the next one will be a hybrid too, which may help.

Did one person on here confirm a new GTI order for themselves or is there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

JoeA3 wrote: »
    The exhaust alone here is over 4.5k. Wheels another 1k or so.
    I’d guesstimate a 7k premium over the CS.

At which point, you'd be at the starting price of the R.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

The car I posted is €60,000 - might have something to do with lack of orders. My MKV bog standard was €35,000 in 2005.

I paid a shade under 40k new for my gti pp at start of 2015. That included leather, keyless and whatever other option packs were cheap back then. I also got three free services. It actually was a great value package and lost very little money before I sold it. At 60k the current model doesn’t have the same appeal.
    Edit- I actually veered towards a new Audi S3 after getting gti prices. you can get a decent enough spec S3 for 61/62k which I know is lot of money but while Audi have taken a step down in quality it feels better than the golf and has physical controls for air con and heated seats. Went with neither in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 klopp74

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is anyone actually thinking of pulling the trigger on something. I flicked through the start of part of this thread from end of 2014 start of 2015 when the mk7 performance variants were relatively new and seemed to be plenty of posters that had pulled the trigger then.

One of the posts from someone who had just ordered I think an R said his salesman confirmed that dealer had 7 Rs and 1 GTi orders in. The thread seemed to be hopping with people buying them and talking about specs, build weeks and delivery times. Just not getting the same vibe here about the mk8. Interestingly though that might make it a decent buy as was just mentioned, it will hold its value well. I'd imagine the next one will be a hybrid too, which may help.

Might have been me - manual due for delivery next week. Had planned to go DSG but the budget changed that plan - difference too much for the amount of driving I do. I had a mk7 PP and then went to an SUV then (bad idea!). I am still 50:50 about the touchscreens tbh but it should be a little more enjoyable to drive that the SUV :) Other logic for me was I am thinking this maybe my last petrol car so decided on a GTI. I looked at a few mk7.5 but some of the prices were early 40’s.

bazz26 wrote: »
    According to Auto Express the Edition 45 is based on the standard GTi rather than the Clubsport though. No mention of what bhp it will have though.

Autoexpress... say no more.

It’s based on the Clubsport and has the same bhp (300) as that car. It’s essentially the CS with a few stickers, the wheels and the exhaust.

vintagevrs wrote: »

I think the pandemic has a lot to do with it too. I can see myself pulling the trigger on one eventually but no rush, at the moment I don’t need a car and I think a lot of people are in similar situations. Hard to even shop around and kick tyres, visit a few dealers at the moment, never mind the hassle with trying to get test drives.

The voice control for heating seats, radio stations, climate all works well if you don’t want to be using screens on the move.

MarkN wrote: »
    The car I posted is €60,000 - might have something to do with lack of orders. My MKV bog standard was €35,000 in 2005.

I bet the salesman who spec’d that car hadn’t done his homework on the VRT implications of the boxes he was ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

klopp74 wrote: »
    Might have been me - manual due for delivery next week. Had planned to go DSG but the budget changed that plan - difference too much for the amount of driving I do. I had a mk7 PP and then went to an SUV then (bad idea!). I am still 50:50 about the touchscreens tbh but it should be a little more enjoyable to drive that the SUV :) Other logic for me was I am thinking this maybe my last petrol car so decided on a GTI. I looked at a few mk7.5 but some of the prices were early 40’s.

The brother ordered a manual GTI too at the start of December, haven't seen a single one for sale anywhere yet. Assumed there had been delays.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    The brother ordered a manual GTI too at the start of December, haven't seen a single one for sale anywhere yet. Assumed there had been delays.

That’s the other problem at the moment, huge factory delays due to components shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

I've seen a Mk8 Nardo Grey GTI in the town I work in (Southern Kildare).
    Fantastic looking in the flesh in a way most pictures don't do justice to

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

carsfan2 wrote: »

Seems AE changed their minds as they called it an Edition 45 last week.

• Advertisement

A buddy is in his 3rd or 4th GTi now.... All bought new. I haven't seen him in ages over covid but I'd be interested in his views on the price rise over the last 10 ish years.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I bet the salesman who spec’d that car hadn’t done his homework on the VRT implications of the boxes he was ticking.

Still would’ve seen the price before they pressed order though which is the mad thing. Sunroof also pushes the price up and it has one.

MarkN wrote: »
    Still would’ve seen the price before they pressed order though which is the mad thing. Sunroof also pushes the price up and it has one.

I rang FK myself back around early December as I figured that they’d be well clued in, being the flagship dealer. They hadn’t a clue. He did come back to me a few days later but suffice to say he was relying on the online configurator and I could do that myself.

Have s3 etc increased in price in line with performance Golf models....

S3 Saloon
    TFSI quattro S tronic

57,885.70 EUR at 23% VAT from what I can gather from Audi.ie

Augeo wrote: »

S3 Saloon
    TFSI quattro S tronic

Bit cheaper than the R but they’re much more sparsely spec’d and dipping into audi options is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

According to the attached you could guess there’s been at least 26 GTIs registered this year

Beep beep.ie shows 16 2.0 petrol golfs this year, all automatic too.

Augeo wrote: »

S3 Saloon
    TFSI quattro S tronic

Hatchback is cheaper and comfort pack adds most essentials or less than 2k. Can get man made leather seats for free Matrix headlights and upgraded speakers and black pack bring you to 60k ish. Standard alloys are poor and upgraded are very expensive but I think on a day to day basis would be a great car and l as than golf R. Slightly lower profile too.
    Viable alternative in my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

While since I posted here (if ever tbh!)

Got this back in November. Had a 3dr MK7 R a couple of years back that I traded in for a Cupra, and, while I liked the Cupra, I missed the 3 door of the Golf. Had been half looking and when I saw this one and the spec it had (not much, but has upgraded nav and pan roof) Had the nav screen replaced under warranty for faint lines showing on it (appears to be a common enough issue) and had new discs (Clubsport front & standard rear) & pads (Racingline RP700) all around with braided hoses along with res delete early January. Also had it polished & ceramic coated just after buying it. Some pics:

9YSRSYgh.jpg

And mid wash today
    XbwqZyrh.jpg

Advertisement