Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

interesting find online...

You can go to web.archive.org and put in any website and it will give you webpages from different years. Have been looking at VW weeb pages in past years, interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭easyvision

So looking at 2016, GTI 38k-40k all in, 0% finance on 161 AND tech pack added for €161. If that was now I'd prob order a new car :( that extra 10k or so is just out of my price range.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160219153241/http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models/golf_7/trimlines.html

If that link works just shows the massive % increase in pricing in 5 years. At what point doo the prices stop increasing ? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

To be fair with WLTP we have more accurate emissions and new tax bands, a lot of stuff has gone up a few bands.

I wonder what the price of a 2016 GTI would be with today's VRT, there's also €750 inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

What's mad is 2015 Golf Rs are still making €25k after costing around €45k 6 years ago and values are firming up as there are no more imports. They are pretty rock solid residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

easyvision wrote: »
    So looking at 2016, GTI 38k-40k all in, 0% finance on 161 AND tech pack added for €161. If that was now I'd prob order a new car :( that extra 10k or so is just out of my price range.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160219153241/http://www.volkswagen.ie/en/models/golf_7/trimlines.html

If that link works just shows the massive % increase in pricing in 5 years. At what point doo the prices stop increasing ? :mad:

How do you do that for 2019..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Still mulling over this but have now ruled out a new one as the price is too excessive for something that doesn’t really seem that much better if at all and frankly I think it would be a poor financial choice on my part. In other words I can’t afford it!

Going back to the below example that has been for sale for a good while now from when I enquired. I went back to the December 18 price list that was posted and have calculated that the price would be 25% less than the list price. Is this a good deal do you think?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26641544

How do you do that for 2019..

Tried to do it for jan 19 myself and only got the home page.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    From 2017 that one?

It was on the 2019 way back machine

• Advertisement

I've attache the Irish product guide for December 2018

This is the one I used to calculate the list price of the above 2019 I linked.

This is the one I used to calculate the list price of the above 2019 I linked.

Yea you'd be scratching you head looking at original prices of them, it's a nice specification. R close enough money https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-automatic-wi/26974235

Yea you'd be scratching you head looking at original prices of them, it's a nice specification. R close enough money https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-golf-r-2-0tsi-310bhp-automatic-wi/26974235

Not as accurate as the previous calculation as I’m using the 2019 price list. That is 19% off the list price after 3 years.

I maybe wrong but I priced the wheels as standard since the only option on the price list was Pretoria’s.

Forgot to mention that going by the previous mentioned price list this only cost just over a grand more from new than the gti I posted which is pretty mad. Thing is % wise you are getting a worse deal but that depends because if it is steady in its depreciation it won’t matter. I have my doubts about that but I’m sure there are people on here who could judge it better.

.... the price would be 25% less than the list price. Is this a good deal do you think?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26641544

Iirc someone on here mentioned the dealer bought that for 34k last November.

Augeo wrote: »

Yeah I remember that, good deal for him but I’m going off what I can take it off his hands for. Tbf since he gave me the price (a few others gave me the same trade price for mine so I have not included it in the numbers) I have nctd and replaced a tyre pressure monitor that was gone so he may well offer a little more for mine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Augeo wrote: »

He's got it longer I think since late September ... I had a serous interest in the car but he told me he's being driving it himself and me being so fussy that put me off its got 2 owners and he's technically the third and I'd say he's put up more miles than the previous guy who by all accounts was a serious car fanatic plus I doubt it looks as clean when it was sold by him now
    It's being mentioned here a good few times and I'm sure there's a lot less fussy guys around than me so I'm amazed it's still for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

He's got it longer I think since late September ... I had a serous interest in the car but he told me he's being driving it himself and me being so fussy that put me off its got 2 owners and he's technically the third and I'd say he's put up more miles than the previous guy who by all accounts was a serious car fanatic plus I doubt it looks as clean when it was sold by him now
    It's being mentioned here a good few times and I'm sure there's a lot less fussy guys around than me so I'm amazed it's still for sale.

I think it’s a bit strange too that he still has it. It has a big spec and looks great in the photos, etc. A very nice example for someone in the hunt for one. It’s strong money but they’re all holding strong money at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see the configurator is back, €50,185 OTR. DSG, white, park assist, chassis control, camera and Winter pack is €52,300 delivered.

Have people had much discount on a new GTI in the past?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see the configurator is back, €50,185 OTR. DSG, white, park assist, chassis control, camera and Winter pack is €52,300 delivered.

Have people had much discount on a new GTI in the past?

Looks like the configurator has the prices upped, based on the restored 23% VAT. It adds around €850 onto a GTI / Clubsport. The product guide still has the older prices.

Discount, it depends how you’re buying it. You are probably trading in, so you’ll be focusing on the cost to change figure.

On a straight deal, no trade in involved, I would say 2.5k ish off the top should be achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭richardbradley

Hi - I’m looking for some help from what is clearly a knowledgeable group of people.

After owning golfs years ago I want a final performance golf for a few years before petrol cars are a thing we tell our kids about.

I want an R but would consider GTI if the right one at the right value is available.

Budget 40k but happy to spend less!
    Happy to import from NI if dealer can prove car was in NI pre Brexit.

I have handed back my company car and need a car - so it’s not something I can wait six months for.
    If you had to buy a vehicle in the next week or two are there any of the current listings that stand out above (or below) the others? Ideally not black or white but all other colours Ok!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi - I’m looking for some help from what is clearly a knowledgeable group of people.

After owning golfs years ago I want a final performance golf for a few years before petrol cars are a thing we tell our kids about.

I want an R but would consider GTI if the right one at the right value is available.

Budget 40k but happy to spend less!
    Happy to import from NI if dealer can prove car was in NI pre Brexit.

I have handed back my company car and need a car - so it’s not something I can wait six months for.
    If you had to buy a vehicle in the next week or two are there any of the current listings that stand out above (or below) the others? Ideally not black or white but all other colours Ok!

Thank you.

There is a beautiful lapiz blue R for sale in spirit premium. Looks like a great example and I believe the previous owner is an Autostart.ie member, so an enthusiast basically

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

Have you had a look at any online? There are a couple of really nice Golf R’s for sale

2018/19 models Rs are asking silly money for 3 year old cars imo.

This Cupra 4Drive would be a very nice alternative for similar money.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/cupra/leon/fpa/202010285547731?journey=Search

Abugarcia wrote: »
    Have you had a look at any online? There are a couple of really nice Golf R’s for sale

Have checked carzone and auto trader for the north - would be great if there's a couple you think stand out from the rest - either link here or DM.
    hooch-85 wrote: »
    2018/19 models Rs are asking silly money for 3 year old cars imo.

This Cupra 4Drive would be a very nice alternative for similar money.
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/cupra/leon/fpa/202010285547731?journey=Search

You maybe right but afraid the heart is set - its something about my first golf (1.3L) and always dreaming of a faster one! The heart says Golf R. The head says save 20k and get a reasonable engine 20k car. The heart will win for once (I'm normally sensible!)

Any links that people think are good buys much appreciated. I will check out that spirit one.

If the heart is set then so be it, I was in the same position myself just over a year ago. 40k is a decent budget and should get you a nice example. There's a lovely 2018 3 door model for sale at the minute but I'm guessing 3 door wouldn't work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

You maybe right but afraid the heart is set - its something about my first golf (1.3L) and always dreaming of a faster one! The heart says Golf R. The head says save 20k and get a reasonable engine 20k car. The heart will win for once (I'm normally sensible!)

I was in the same position myself a few months ago. I do 80km a day to work and back and had a very economical diesel 1 Series. Was desperate to change and wanted a GTI or an R. I bought a Clubsport because I've always loved them and wanted to scratch the hot hatch itch. Does it make sense having one doing my mileage? No but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Yeah defo need the 5 doors - have 3 kids and whilst it won't be the best 5 person car it will be better with back doors than without thanks. Saw that 3 door tho - looks lovely.

• Advertisement

@Mark I was driving right behind that same black GTI you had a few days ago this afternoon. First one I’ve seen in the metal, looked well on the move. Thought it might be yourself at the wheel but I don’t think it was..!

Advertisement